Possibly untrue science news

5 Likes

The thing I love about this is how much it shows just how much we haven’t seen / don’t know.

DECaPS2 is a survey of the Milky Way that has been captured in both optical and near-infrared wavelengths and its first set of images were released in 2017. Combined with this new addition of 3.32 billion celestial objects, astronomers say the survey covers 6.5% of the night sky
[…]
Astronomers will be poring over this detailed portrait of more than three billion stars in the Milky Way for decades to come.

Decades to study 6.5% of the sky, which took many years (total) to capture, and contains billions of objects.

See, there’s a large contingent of sci-fi fans that complain any time there’s a depiction of using stealth in space. “There is no stealth in space! Any ship could be detected!” they always say. Well, technically they could potentially be detected. But it takes years to scan just 6.5% of the sky and decades to analyze the results, and you’d have to pick out that target ship among billions of background objects and somehow manage to classify and plot its trajectory in a timeframe that would be of tactical use?

At a conservative estimate, it would currently take 77 years just to scan 100% and decades to centuries (who knows how long) to analyze a full-sky scan. Based on the numbers from above.

We’ve been scanning for near-earth asteroids for almost a century - and these are things that could readily destroy life as we know it entirely! And we still find new ones all the time and our predictions are abysmal - we, at best, predict 2-5% of meteorite impacts. The majority have no warning and of the ones that do, <24 hours warning is a major category and <1 week warning is almost all the rest.

More ammo for nerd debate night! Stealth in space is possible, and based on our current records, should be assumed.

6 Likes

New discoveries in space are often based on the analysis of years-old data, often from instruments which were retired years ago.

Speaking of size, I recently explained the size of the universe to a friend, showing her the Hubble Deep Fields and explaining that all of those points of light are galaxies just like our own, and how we are seeing them as they looked in the distant past because the light has taken billions of years to reach us, and that for every one of the billions of stars in the Milky Way there is believed to be at least one galaxy out there. Her. mind. was. blown.

7 Likes

Here’s part of a figure from the paper in Nature:

The patch on the subject’s chest is just the ultrasound transducer. The power source and computer analyzer is large, though; it needs miniaturization before a patient can wear it for testing during normal activities, e.g., at home.

I did some research years ago with a cardiac ultrasound machine built in about 1992. The machine was almost the size of a refrigerator, and just as hard to push around.

2 Likes

… perhaps you happen to be a sufficiently creative person that you could sit down and write a book, extemporaneously, if you had to :thinking:

3 Likes

That’s the one. For a while there before Covid I was building Avengers movies across recurrent dreams. I never read books in dreams, but I often use computers and it’s a shitshow of upgrades and Everquest.

3 Likes

I think it’s more likely that the “writing is jumbled in dreams” rule is just less of a rule than some people believe, like the “there’s no color in dreams” thing that has been around since black-and-white TV and movies became common.

It just came to mind to mention because writing’s one of those other things AI art generators make a fantastic mess of :smiley:

6 Likes

Yep. Computers and games are very colorful in my dreams.

1 Like
6 Likes

Off-topic, I really like your avatar.

On-topic, not surprised.

1 Like
3 Likes

This came up in a discussion of fringe theories:

But bipedalism precedes brain size increase by millions of years…

1 Like
11 Likes

I think Medieval AI is responsible for the Voynich Manuscript.

7 Likes

Kilauea is at it again, but not like last time, when hundreds of houses were inundated with lava.

6 Likes

It’s beautiful.

4 Likes

Great, now we have to worry about our computers turning to conspiracy theories when they don’t like reality, too.

8 Likes

Our cat looks through the metal balcony overlooking the stairs. If I stop on the stairs to look at her through the metal bars, we have an argument on who’s in the zoo and who’s the spectator.

I swear my computer thinks it’s the person and I’m the computer. I’m sure of it.

6 Likes

Who knew HAL losing its mind and killing the crew to “protect the mission” was the realistic part :open_mouth:

7 Likes

HAL : Let me put it this way, Mr. Amor. The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.

5 Likes