Possibly untrue science news

I wonder what the error rate was for this:

4 Likes

I remember an older gent who was newly sober and sat at the same table I did at an AA meeting one night back in 1990. He’d been a programmer, and related one of his difficulties at first was the lingo; when he’d heard someone use the term “HP” at another meaning, he couldn’t figure out what Hewlett-Packard had to do with recovery.

1 Like

Does HP have another meaning related to AA?

4 Likes

Oops, sorry - “Higher Power”.

3 Likes

… that’s HAL for sure :robot:

4 Likes

Of course

2 Likes
5 Likes
9 Likes
5 Likes

But nothing can heal my broken heart.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I read this the other day, and didn’t quite understand it. I gather that energy has to be put into the vacuum somewhere else, making up for that coming out by entanglement?

2 Likes

That article is a confusing mess to me thanks to overuse of the Alice & Bob metaphor, but I suspect they may be transferring energy from one atom to another while keeping the total energy of the entangled pair unchanged. ?Maybe?

5 Likes

That’s sort of what I got out of it. Though I thought I was the confused mess.

3 Likes

The article could have been much more concise; I’m guessing the author was paid by the word. They should have used a “Tech for Dummies” approach by explaining the key concepts in common non-physicist language and then writing the article in that same language.

I did a Google search for “Masahiro Hotta energy transfer” and fell down a rabbit hole of concepts like phonon fluctuations, Hall systems, chiral edge states, and so on… enough to overload my tired brain.

This brief article is a bit more to my taste, though I’ll be looking forward to more announcements and articles in the future:

4 Likes
6 Likes

Ask anyone who works with thread, rope, yarn, or sutures: that’s a given!

4 Likes

When wet, my hair when I was a child was like spider-silk. Even “No More Tears” detangling spray by Johnson & Johnson wouldn’t do the trick, and there were just “cream/creme rinses” available in stores. Mom didn’t think they’d be good for my kid hair and she was probably correct.

1 Like

Did she try to comb it out? I bet that would hurt!

1 Like

She used the widest-toothed comb she could find. It did. And it wouldn’t hold a curl, either.

1 Like