Possibly untrue science news

4 Likes

Whoā€™s?

I suppose itā€™s in the article, but Iā€™m not sure I want to read it . . .

2 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

Hasnā€™t Desantis been there since 2019?

5 Likes

not like we need yet another reason to avoid Florida altogether, but good to know, for sure.

4 Likes

March: Quantum wormhole media release | News and features | University of Bristol

6 Likes

SF author James White envisioned a torus-shaped alien that had to constantly roll for its circulation to continue. In effect, its blood stayed motionless while its blood vessels moved instead of vice versa. Unfortunately the idea doesnā€™t workā€“the blood would soon come up to speed just by friction. But the story was fun.

3 Likes

I remember as a kid reading in one of my books of mythology and whatā€™s now called cryptozoology a story about the hoop snake, which allegedly turned into a hoop and rolled away from danger. Lordy, I might even have it stored away in the basement; I do remember it was a Scholastic book, lol.

3 Likes

Would depend on the speed, viscosity, and possibly compressive pumping effects from gravity against the ground, no?

3 Likes

Interesting. Then thereā€™s the ouroboros?

Compressive pumping might have an effect. Speed and viscosity should only affect how long it takes to get up to the same speed as the rotating torus. With the viscosity of water or blood and a moderate angular velocity, it takes less than a full 360 degree turn to get up to speed.

I did some simulations of this at work, for some ultrasound lab testing, to see how accurate blood velocity measurements are. It was about the time I read the story, which was an interesting coincidence!

2 Likes
5 Likes

From the ā€œsee alsoā€ section of that article is another myth, the ā€œjoint snake,ā€ that can separate itself into pieces and then rejoin.

3 Likes

Ugly bugger.

3 Likes

Nawww, itā€™s cute!

1 Like

AI-driven robots start hunting for novel materials without help from humans

Fully automated system is working 24/7 to create new inorganic materials that could improve batteries, fuel cells, and superconductors

1 Like

:thinking:

The Difference Between Introverted and Extroverted Empaths

Instead of novel material, here AI came up with some magazine material.

1 Like

ā€¦ itā€™s a whole new frontier of possibly untrue news

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure how this article is related to my post. But the article was really interesting. I recognised myself as an ā€œambivert;ā€ I can switch on extroversion in some cases, but itā€™s exhausting. Usually Iā€™m the opposite.

1 Like