Proposed Rules for good behavior and consequences for misbehavior

I honestly don’t think anyone’s that bent out of shape over the oblique start to the new game. I can see where it might have alarmed the community, but I think as soon as it was recognized as a new game, everything would have been fine.

The issue so many people are concerned with-- myself included-- is the attack on a player by another player. If one character attacks another, well, it’s all in the game. But funruly directly attacked @nimelennar-- not his character, but him directly, with no real provocation. That wasn’t appropriate. And that has its consequences.

If the community wants game threads and game sockpuppets clearly labeled, it’s fine by me. We gamers can still have our fun, and the rest of the community will know we mean no harm by it. It’s a win-win in my book.

16 Likes

All the bannings for having multiple accounts came after the badges were assigned expressly permitting them.

The locking of the game thread, named BadAss as all the previous games have been, came after it was understood, and tagged as such, with a moderator explaining so in the thread for anyone it was making nervous.

The post flagged was in a thread from the last game, titled and tagged as such, of which there has been one poster.

The “system” determining multiple accounts has nuked at least one “Prime User” who has no stunt account.

1 Like

The bannings came because we had information from multiple users of already stated against the rules behavior that was happening off this board through private messages and other methods of communication.

7 Likes

No, that happened while the mods were still sorting all this out.

It’s unfortunate that you feel so very inconvenienced, but the responsibility for all the resulting fallout goes directly to your little gaming buddy, from the very moment that he decided to verbally attack another member here.

4 Likes

I want everybody to take a break.

I’m at work, cloosing shift, and will make a full accounting of all that has transpired in the past 48 hours, and attempt a course of action to the benefit of all.

I do not intend to stifle creativity, games or fun. I ain’t The Owl.

Thabk you all for your input.

I will close the thread after Pogo posts, until I’m off.

13 Likes

Please do not tell me how I feel. I would hate to have to assign motivations to anyone else’s behavior.

I have not asked for anything to be changed or any decision to be rescinded.

I might be labeled as “An agent of Badass” as some stunt account, but if anyone checked my posting history my participation from the inception of this site is still majority outside of the games.

Please take a step back.

Out of the blue, several accounts, most of which are sock puppets (for the purposes of gaming, so cool, but still sock puppets) get activated after a long hiatus, and a number of them start attacking @nimelennar personally. They do it pretty quickly after they reactivate, and they’re talking about stuff that never happened on this board, but TOS or somewhere. And they don’t just call them an “asshole” or something generic, but a fascist, on the same weekend that Nazis commit mass shootings twice and everyone on the regular threads is reeling from it.

At best it’s an egregiously poor choice of words. At worst it’s a deliberately cruel attempt at character assassination.

One of the sock puppet accounts then leaves the gaming threads and posts to one of the regular threads. It’s the Arrivals Lounge, where they’re supposed to introduce themselves, but instead they still act like they’re gaming.

Now, bearing in mind several of us on this board work in IT, what does that look like to you?

'Cos to me it looks like a sock puppet invasion, and not for fun, nice, game-playing reasons that people legitimately use sock puppets for.

Overall I’m pretty impressed with how the community rolled with this one. The mods have been cautious and prompt but still left ways for people to play games and send invitations (ie: we weren’t barricaded in or out).

I do not see how this can be dismissed as just a little dust-up with a community overreaction.

15 Likes

Yeah, I myself didn’t think it carried any particular intended vitriol, but you saw how it was received, and I am given to understand that intent doesn’t carry a hell of a lot of weight when something is perceived as an aggression.

But anyway, I was taken aback by it. In any event, when @smulder posted this remark:

six dormant accounts and a brand-new one all de-lurking at the same time to post song lyrics

it was a (fairly mild) expression of concern, which (IMHO) should have been answered with reassurance that all is in good fun and all parties were just regular ol’ Afterlifers puttin’ on their sox, rather than a somewhat snarky in-character thing.

But y’know, we’re typing stuff here, not talking, and a lot of nuance is lost. People take offense, the offense doesn’t register or is underestimated, then things escalate. Especially if there’s what’s euphemistically called a history between two people. I honestly don’t know and/or can’t remember if that was a factor here; given the reactions, I guess there probably was.

Well, do what you can. I’m not trying to insult you. You didn’t mean to hit a nerve, you did, and when that became apparent, you backed off. That struck me as the proper way to handle it. But this particular fight began with this (admittedly awfully minor) jab:

I wouldn’t describe it as a “game.” Games have rules.

Turned out that that and the Steph joke hit harder than you intended. That’s a bummer.

I certainly understand that. But I don’t believe there was any attempt to sow discord and distrust. That’s never been what this is about.

They’re gonna need to sort that out themselves, and I wish they would on a gracious note. Hell, it ain’t none of my business, but I do like playing with both of them.

All right, I’m just gonna give up here. Never mind.

4 Likes

Something to maybe keep in mind: you and I recognize character names and “Badass” and see it’s a game. (Though I’ll admit to a moment or two of thinking, “what is this?” before I figured it out.) If you don’t play or pay attention, how do you know?

I wasn’t a player when the Dungeon Master threads went up at TOS, and my first reaction was: WTF? (Then I realized they were some sort of game and/or performance art. I still don’t understand a lot of what was going on in those threads.)

I think any worry would have blown over as soon as the game was announced… but then there was the fight, things got stressed, and the mods called a time out until they could figure out exactly what was going on.

9 Likes

It may not have helped that the Clubhouse thread I started, to try to find out what was going on, was also called super badass (with a question mark). This may have lead some to conclude it was also a game thread. However, this doesn’t excuse actions within the thread to those who were obviously not playing the game. And especially it doesn’t excuse the post to Arrivals.

Further, in reading the entire thread, I have trouble believing that the controversy over “games have rules” or the whole ex-girlfriend/misogyny brouhaha was genuine outrage. It just looks like shit stirring to me.

12 Likes

You’re absolutely right on all counts. I know you don’t need me to say so, of course, but I’m fully in agreement.

5 Likes

Attention all:

In approximately 75 minutes, we’ll have an update on the board and a resolution to this situation.

Until then, I ask one thing:
Be the person Mister Rogers knew you can be.

Thank you.

11 Likes

I’ll repeat what I said in the Lounge.

6 Likes

Huh. Didn’t know (or maybe forgot? Yeah, probably forgot. I think.) we had a Lounge here.

But anyway, that’s a bummer. Very sorry whatever came between you guys happened.

6 Likes

Heh. I hope I’ll someday get an explanation as to what “whatever” is.

7 Likes

I’ll chalk that up to your overly generous and altruistic nature.

Sadly, I have far too much hands on personal experience with bullies and harassment in both 3D space and online, and what I saw within the last 36 hours definitely falls into the category of the latter.

People don’t always get along or see eye to eye, but using sock puppets to vent or attack people that you already engage regularly under your main account is cowardly as fuck.

Fucking A.

I care way more about maintaining the integrity of this site and making sure that the community at large feels safe and comfortable posting here than I do that anyone feels butthurt because the mods “ruined their game” by taking decisive action, instead of just letting this shit fester & escalate to PB-level proportions.

11 Likes

You do not have the whole story because you don’t have information on the private messages being sent.

10 Likes

I’d say not so much “cruel” as just absurd – though I guess it really did hurt @nimelennar’s feelings

The only real question was whether it was trolling, literal insanity, or performance art.

I still don’t know the answer, but I guess it’s been dealt with.

I don’t have to watch every episode of Scooby Doo all the way through.

7 Likes

Two suspension threads have been posted.

I hate being the guy who has to step in and spoil the “fun”, but sometimes unruly kids need a time out. I’ve done my best to lay out the events that transpired and the actors thereof.

I’ve done my best to act in the interests of the community, its members, and community values. I do hope for a return to normalcy and restoration. Dark clouds of suspicion should be dispelled; this community should not be defined or controlled by the aftermath of trouble.

Thank you all for your time and patience as staff conducted their investigation. We all have day jobs and lives, we are not omniscient, so time was needed as we dug into the issue. Yes, some precautions had to be taken due to the nature of the events. Stopping The Bleed and then assessing the damage are the first steps to healing, and the actions taken were in line with that.

9 Likes

closed: see notice. thread will be re-opened on 8 August 2019.

until then, stay awesome.