Random Silly Grins

13 Likes

Well it is true.

6 Likes

I feel like this is way more momentous than a ā€œrandom, silly grinā€, but then again, maybe not. :cow: :grin:

In any case, after much scrolling, I didnā€™t find a more suitable thread (ā€œolds go nostalgicā€ was close, but this isnā€™t about tech) and didnā€™t really want to create a new one, so I hope this is a good fit here.

Ladies and Germs, without further ado, may I present:

[ā€¦] let this website become your place to stop by for a smile, a laugh, or a good olā€™ fashioned recoiling. And I wonā€™t have to release the Krakencow.

13 Likes

Ok Boomer. :joy:

9 Likes

???

(I donā€™t get it.)

3 Likes

Like, 25 years after the Internet comes around he figures heā€™ll try it out because it was so scary that people could scan his stuff in without his permission and share it anyway. It just seems like such an old man approach to the medium to try to control it the way you do print, and not see the possibilities in the ability to share so widely.

Also see the Ok Boomer trend circling the Interwebs (millennials putting the hate on the olds).

10 Likes

Not to mention that most of his cartoons have black and white versions, and photocopiers had already been ubiquitous for a long time 25 years ago.

Didnā€™t he know anyone who works at an office and can explain to him how people decorate their cubicles?

9 Likes

Iā€™m familiar with the ā€œOK Boomerā€ thing, I just couldnā€™t imagine why anyone would want to be so mean to Gary Larson, of all people.

Are you saying he should just be happy for the exposure?

I donā€™t believe for an instant that heā€™s ever objected to people hanging copies of his cartoons in their cubicles, or on their office doors, etc. The issue is people using his work without his consent for their own personal profit.

I get that heā€™s probably tilting at windmills with the whole ā€œsecure imagesā€ bit, and I understand that, at the end of the day, the purpose of the website is to sell more books. I just donā€™t see whatā€™s so worthy of mockery in his introductory letter.

Maybe I just have a soft spot for other weirdos.

In any case, thank you @ChickieD for the clarification.

2 Likes

itā€™s the same issue Berke Breathed had/has with all the unlicensed uses of Calvin and Hobbes for every damn thing. every car sticker, every etsy/ebay usage, on and on. itā€™s a literal tidal wave [edit: ok, itā€™s not a literal tidal wave, itā€™s a figurative one, but still]. no wonder they just gave up trying.

1 Like

Berke Breathed is Bloom County.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s not what he said though. He said he objected to the uploaders, full stop.

He didnā€™t seem aware people are scanning and uploading because it was difficult to find individual cartoons otherwise.

1 Like

yes. i know.

Then what does it matter what he says about Calvin and Hobbes?

1 Like

OK, I will concede that the ā€œfor personal profitā€ bit is me bringing my own biases to the table and possibly reading too much into what he wrote in the letter. Clearly heā€™s concerned about more than just the money.

FTA:

But itā€™s always been inherently awkward to chase down a Far Sideā€“festooned website when the person behind it is often simply a fan. (Although not everyone is quite so uncomplicated in their motives; my cartoons have been taken and used to help sell everything from doughnuts to rodent control. At least I offer range.) So Iā€™m hopeful this official website will help temper the impulses of the infringement-inclined.

And he does seem to understand that people have different motives for uploading his stuff, and that some of them are simply fans of his work. The context of the letter seems to be pretty clearly digital, though, which is why I thought the photocopier/cubicle point was kind of a non-sequitur.

Anyway, Iā€™ll happily amend my previous statement to something a bit more narrowly scoped, and hopefully more accurate:

Either way, Iā€™ve got no beef with you, and I suspect that we are probably more-or-less on the same page when it comes to copyright and the like.

3 Likes

Bill Watterson is kind of interesting in that he was opposed to merchandising of any kind, not just the unlicensed stuff. If I recall correctly, you could read his strips in the paper or buy the anthology books, but that was about it. No mugs, no t-shirts, no Hobbes plushies, no nothing. The Far Side, on the other hand, wasnā€™t too shy about merch. I mean, they were no Garfield or Ziggy, but I used to get one of those daily desk calendars for xmas every year for years.

I do remember when those Evil-Calvin-pees-on-thing-you-like stickers were all over the place, though, and I never did really like them. The rivalries depicted were almost always things I didnā€™t care about (e.g. Ford vs. Chevy, Greek houses, college mascots, Christianity, etc.), but mostly they just felt like cheap knockoffs that missed the point of what made the original so good.

6 Likes

Youā€™re right. The way I reacted was not thoughtful or kind. Sometimes Iā€™m too caught up in being clever. Itā€™s exciting he has found a way to make this work for him. My thoughts on copyright need to be discussed elsewhere.

7 Likes

Recommend Gary Lawsonā€™s Sketchbooks. Shows what ideas didnā€™t quite make it to print.

6 Likes

One thing I thought was uniquely creative about Larsonā€™s cartoons was the single ā€“ used as the eyes for the cows and other animals. Iā€™m not sure what itā€™s meant to convey (inscrutability?) but it is genius in its simplicity.

6 Likes

argh, this is what i get for trying to post on my phone, when itā€™s too bright out to properly see ā€“ youā€™re right, i thought i had Watterson mentioned in there, but i must have accidentally deleted part of my post. sorry! i meant to say basically that Beathed, Watterson, and Larson all had to deal with rampant copyright theft, and ultimately it was so much that they just kind of had to throw up their hands at most of it.

6 Likes