Random Silly Grins

I have to ask, how does someone from Michigan know of Spike Milligan? I only know of him because I’m the child of an immigrant.

3 Likes

old 78s

3 Likes

He was in “Monty Python’s Life of Brian”. And he was one of the Goons. He was also one of the first entertainers that I knew of, other than Anna (Patty) Duke, that came out about being bi-polar.

Also: I’m an extremely observant person who retains a lot of stuff without realizing it, and I’ve been consciously so since I was four years old; I’m gonna be 57 this November so that’s a lot of stuff rattlin’ 'round me brain-pan.

5 Likes
1 Like

He was also mentioned on an episode of “Are You Being Served?” as a running gag (which is how I know of him.) My family watched British TV on PBS and CBC, I picked up a few things. :grin:

5 Likes

That is one hilarious show. Watched a whole bunch of them recently.

5 Likes

Sapristi knuckles! Who has not heard of the famous Eccles, aka Mr. Spike Milligan? He will always be Moriarty to me.

Possibly this hypothetical someone from Michigan was able to pick up radio broadcasts from the CBC, which in my formative years used to play episodes of The Goon Show regularly. I still have a book of Goon Show scripts, written by Milligan, and they are just as surreal as I remembered.

“How did you get in here?”
“Through the bead curtain.”
“We don’t have a bead curtain!”
“I brought my own.”

5 Likes

That could’ve happened as well.

Also, trying to figure out what being from Michigan has to do with being aware or unaware of Mr. Milligan’s existence.

4 Likes

Interesting. Thank you all for your input.

Nothing particular about Michigan.

Usually when I mention Spike Milligan, or an example of his humor, to any American I just get a blank stare.

5 Likes

Just to bring your attention to this Twitter account, which is exactly what it says on the tin:

6 Likes

For years I confused Spike Milligan and Spike Jones. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

5 Likes

Yeah, me too. I have done that with many pairs of people who have similar names.

3 Likes

Wife: “Those problems I told you about? They were at the other end.”

She was talking about her database connection, but she said it while in the bathroom. I suppose I shouldn’t have laughed quite that hard.

7 Likes
6 Likes
12 Likes

And this is why baseball should always be the national sport - because you can’t spell out funny words on sports that require helmets to be worn while playing.

I learned of him when I went out to catch a movie one night

2 Likes
10 Likes

The sequence about wombats proves it’s a valid concept:

3 Likes