Random Silly Grins

3 Likes

Couldnā€™t resist 'shopping this Hawaii lava photo:

Man, to have this happen right down the street must be terrifying ā€“ yet fascinating. Really bad for the 21 houses burned so far. Hope no gets hurt.

9 Likes

15 Likes

Or your ring, for that matter . . .

5 Likes

Thatā€™s just obvious. How would you be able to retrieve the ring without the keys that were on it?

6 Likes

:joy:

5 Likes

What about tungsten keys.
According to wolfram alpha magma is typically 700-1300Ā°c whereas tungsten melts at 3422Ā°c.
So theres that.

3 Likes

Assuming the keys would not sink immediately (YMMV depending on number of keys and decorative key fobs) and you had means to retrieve them, perhaps you could get by with just knocking off the residual laval after it has cooled.

But, if you had the forethought to have Tungsten Keys. And the forethought to have a key retrieval device handy, Iā€™d assume you would not be the type to lose your keys in the MAGMA in the first place.

A whole lot of assumptions there though

6 Likes

I wonder if tungsten alpha says wolfram melts at 3422Ā°C.

8 Likes
17 Likes

http://tungstenalpha.com

3 Likes

I actually went there as a matter of curiosity . . . . hoping that my antivirus would stand the strain. Seemed like an innocuous list of tungsten/wolfram properties, by someone with a sense of humor.

3 Likes

Mum How are you liking it down the mine, Ken?
Ken Oh itā€™s not too bad, mumā€¦ weā€™re using some new tungsten carbide wolfram drills for the preliminary coal-face scouring operations.
Mum Oh that sounds nice, dearā€¦
Dad Tungsten carbide Wolfram drills! What the bloody hellā€™s tungsten carbide wolfram drills?
Ken Itā€™s something they use in coal-mining, father.
Dad (mimicking) ā€˜Itā€™s something they use in coal-mining, fatherā€™. Youā€™re all bloody fancy talk since you left London.
Ken Oh not that again.
Mum Heā€™s had a hard day dearā€¦ his new play opens at the National Theatre tomorrow.

6 Likes

I hope he doesnā€™t expect those plants to survive to the ending of the termā€¦

7 Likes

Iā€™m sure after theyā€™re dead the next class project can be an in-depth look at the statistics of random coin flips.

10 Likes

Minor quibble: that looks like Tunisian crochet to me, not knitting.

2 Likes

If you zoom in, you can see the needle points and the second needle. Itā€™s mostly hidden under his puffy jacket.

3 Likes

Ah. So it is.

From the picture it looked like one long hooked needle, not two long pointed needles.

1 Like

But it got me to look up ā€œTunisian crochetā€, which has improved my knowledge and thus my day!

5 Likes

Tunisian crochet uses a longer hook, so it can be used on longer stitch chains than traditional crochet. Itā€™s also a hook and not a needle, so each row can be a chain of stitches instead of just a single stitch like in knitting. The result looks like a hybrid between knitting and crocheting. Itā€™s very good for Afghan blankets.

3 Likes