Random Silly Grins

She wasn’t the only one taking shots at Warhol’s art.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Sometimes it takes me a while to get a joke.
Actually, the exchange went something like this:

Me: Well, I made an appointment with a rheumatologist. They have their own X-ray equipment, so they can X-ray my hip.
Wife: Oh, so a rheumatologist with a view?

Then making dinner last night, I went to the pantry.

Me, mumbling: Let’s see, ah, a can of tomatoes.
Wife: What?
Me: Diced tomatoes.
Wife: Oh, I thought you said “totos”.
Me, pouring contents into pan and mocking wife: OK, one can of diced totos!
Wife: “We’re not in cans anymore!”

I laugh proudly at my wife’s cleverness.

One minute later, I get the Toto part of the joke and laugh hysterically, while realizing (for the billionth time) that I am hopelessly outclassed.

15 Likes

16 Likes

It’s just a ratio problem. 120:40=60:n Therefore, 40*60/120=n. N= 20 minutes. So, it would just take 3 musicians to play it in a minute. Simple.

10 Likes

To play it in only 1 second, you only need 0.05 musician.

9 Likes

That’s me!

13 Likes

I really hope a math teacher put that in an actual exam just to inject a bit of common sense into the process.

10 Likes

Are we assuming the musicians are perfectly spherical and playing in a vacuum?

10 Likes

Very quietly.

8 Likes

In space, no one can hear hypothetical musicians asphyxiate.

8 Likes

Are you sure you don’t have the ratio backwards?

My calculations show it would take 4800 musicians to play the symphony in a minute.

7 Likes

Are you refuting maths? (Har-rumph.) :triumph:

7 Likes

Hey, if @chaz1 is wrong, then I must be too! So there!

Oh wait.

7 Likes

Correct.

If 120 musicians take 40 minutes, then Beethoven’s 9th requires 120 x 40 = 4800 musician-minutes to complete.

Sixty musicians would therefore take 4800 ÷ 60 = 80 minutes, and one musician would complete it in 4800 ÷ 1 = 4800 minutes or 80 hours (two standard 40-hour weeks as per musicians’ union rules).

To play Beethoven’s 9th in 1 minute would require 4800 musician-minutes ÷ 1 minute = 4800 musicians.

Q.E.D.

The problem of how quickly the same 4800 musicians could play Chopin’s Minute Waltz is left to the reader.

8 Likes

Surely a minute span of time.

5 Likes

They’re just so friggin’ cute!

(Interesting…it’s showing up as a photo instead of a video, but if you click on the picture you’ll get a new tab with the video.)

10 Likes

Historically resonant as well as devastatingly cute.

7 Likes

Adorbs!

3 Likes

I am going to think of this as showing that SOME progress has been made over the last decades, because it’s all too easy these days to really wonder if we’ve gone backwards instead of forwards.

6 Likes