Reassuring Brexit News

…contingency plans in the works include the possibility that “armed forces could be deployed to carry out various civil functions, including using RAF jets to transport food supplies across the country.”

10 Likes

So "massive food shortages " has been officially denied.

BRB- just off to buy canned food and not quite enough booze.

13 Likes

So what happens to those acting with the authority of a king?

3 Likes

I was almost tempted to post this in the random grins thread, but for some it’s all too grim. So, I’m glad there’s a more relevant place for it…

16 Likes

12 Likes

Reminds me of the Goon Show where they had “tinned Nuff.”

“Well, I’ve had a Nuff.”
“Well I haven’t had enough Nuff!”

8 Likes

I only have one egg, but I’m moving to France where that’s un oeuf.

10 Likes

Around this crowd, we really need a “groan” button next to the “like” button. :wink:

8 Likes

Time to revive this one?

9 Likes

It makes me think about economic borders versus cultural borders versus borders of common legal framework. Economic borders like coastlines and rivers limit the passage of physical goods. Cultural borders of language or religious enmity restrict speech and migration but only matter significantly to a minority of rich nutbags and their unfortunate close family and employees or celebrity empires.

Common legal frameworks are the legislated compromises between the real borders and the fake ones based on transitory bigotries, backed by big money.

8 Likes

In a joint statement from the parties - sent out by Labour - they agreed on the urgency to act together to find practical ways to prevent no deal, including the possibility of passing legislation and a vote of no confidence.

However, many of the opposition leaders - though not Labour - were saying the emphasis of that meeting was on the first of those options - in effect asking for an extension to the Brexit process and sending Boris Johnson back to Brussels to say he wants to get a deal after all.

Gah. Please, no. Anything but another extension.

Renegotiation is not going to happen. You’re certainly not going to get better terms.

Your options are no-deal, May’s withdrawal agreement, or staying in the EU.

They’ve wasted months, if not years, waiting for an option other than the three above to materialize. It’s not going to materialize.

Status quo is “no deal.” You don’t like that, get enough support to line up behind one of the other two options, and push it through. But don’t just kick the can further down the road. That does no one any good.

8 Likes

But if the People want Brexit surely they’ll like More Brexit even better

My party shall provide the UK with the maximum possible Brexit, years and years of Brexit, a Brexit our grandchildren will be proud to renegotiate and extend at the last minute

7 Likes

Yo, dawg, I heard you like Brexit!

So I put Brexit on your Brexit so you can Brexit while you Brexit.

5 Likes

And now I’m wondering if “brexit” can be used to make a sentence as long as “buffalo” can.

So far, I think it’s a noun, a verb, and a curse word…

8 Likes

That Brexited Brexit referendum was Brexiting Brexit. Some kind of preference vote might have meant something but a Brexiting up or down referendum on an undefined Brexit is Brexiting Brexit. And some Brexiting cabal in Westminster is trying to push that Brexited Brexit Brexit without any shred of a democratic mandate, I hope the Brits find some way to exit from that Brixiting Brexit nightmare.

6 Likes

brexiting bad

7 Likes
5 Likes

Apparently 2000 [typo for 200] MPs have already signed the Church House Declaration either objecting to the prorogation-- or promising to defy it, I can’t get a clear answer-- and the Tory press is calling the Church House Declaration and the People’s Parliament an “Orwellian” attack on “democracy.”

Can anyone point to a clear explanation?

P.S.

“Any attempt to prevent Parliament sitting, to force through a no-deal Brexit, will be met by strong and widespread democratic resistance.”

7 Likes

The text of the declaration is:

Shutting down Parliament would be an undemocratic outrage at such a crucial moment for our country, and a historic constitutional crisis.
Any attempt to prevent Parliament sitting, to force through a no-deal Brexit, will be met by strong and widespread democratic resistance.
We pledge to work together across parties and across our nations to do whatever is necessary to ensure that the people’s voice is able to be heard.

So, both objection and defiance, but there’s nothing undemocratic about the Church House Declaration.

I don’t think there are 2,000 MPs in Westminster; I think there have been ~160 MPs who have signed, and perhaps some larger number of non-MPs who have signed on in solidarity.

I’m having trouble finding any non-right-wing reference to this “People’s Parliament” (or, at least, anything recent by that name). Best I can find is the idea to set up an “alternative parliament,” but I can’t find any details about what that would actually look like.

Edit to add:
There are a total of 650 MPs. 7 of them are Sinn Féin, so their votes don’t count (as they refuse to sit in Parliament). This means that, of the remaining 643, you’d need 322 to constitute a majority. So, they’re about halfway there.

4 Likes

For some reason, this makes me think of Weetabix.

4 Likes