Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Players Handbook

Questions, insight, and discussion from all players is welcome below in this out-of-character space.

2 Likes

Do we get rank/turn on our apartments, or is it a one time thing? What happens to rank if we give them up?

1 Like

Excellent question. The rank is held as long as the lodgings are held. In the event that one wishes to upgrade or downgrade lodgings, one merely submits a new 'rent ’ order in a new round. The usual moving fee applies, the rent for the new season is paid, and the rank difference is applied.

For example, anyone currently renting a Spartan Apartment (rank+50, upkeep -75£/turn) that wishes to upgrade to a Modest Apartment would submit an order this round:

rent Modest Apartment

This would incur the one time moving fee (-25£), the new upkeep per turn would be -200£/turn), and would see an increase in rank of an additional +25.

It should be noted that moving to a less desirable address, say from a Modest Apartment to a Spartan Apartment, would incur the expected -25 to rank as well as an equivalent penalty of rank-25 due to gossip about the circumstances. Equivalently, downgrading from a Proper Apartment to a Modest apartment would see a gossip penalty of rank-75. Appearances must be maintained after all.

2 Likes

File under: should have asked before committing half my income to something.

Oh well. I hope rank is useful on an ongoing basis, then.

4 Likes

For clarity; if something good has a lousy chance of occuring, it’s unlikely, but if it’s a bad thing, that means it’s likely?

4 Likes

Not quite - a lousy chance of occurring means that the event is relatively unlikely to happen, regardless of the good/bad nature of the event.

While we’re on the matter, it may be worth ranking the adjectives being used to express probability. In order from least likely to most likely odds:

“vanishing”
“longshot”
“outside”
“lousy”
“poor”
“fair”
“average”
“good”
“very good”
“great”
“outstanding”
“almost certain”
“shoo in”

7 Likes

For clarification, if there are any differences between that list and the quality-of-outcome list, can that be provided as well?

Thanks

3 Likes

Absolutely. At the moment, the outcome adjectives are ranked thusly:

“catastrophic”
“awful”
“bad”
“very poor”
“poor”
“below average”
“average”
“above average”
“good”
“very good”
“excellent”
“outstanding”
“unbelievable”

7 Likes

Thanks!

5 Likes

Are the stat bonuses granted by buying items applied the same turn they are purchased, or on the next turn (specifically with respect to Investment outcomes)?

For example, if, in Turn 2, I buy a Novel that increases my PER from 23 to 27, and also invest in Option 3, which has PER as a relevant stat, which value will be used to influence the outcome of that investment? 23, or 27?

3 Likes

The turn results are calculated after purchases are made, so results would be influenced by PER 27.

4 Likes

I’m having a problem reconciling the high-tech aspect of the setting with the 19th century culture.

Specifically:

Let’s leave aside the whole question about a plague that can affect so many different species with different evolutionary histories, and the sheer foolhardiness of the entire empire, if modern epidemiology was one of the things discarded when reverting to Regency culture. I can, although it strains my suspension of disbelief, reconcile all that with wanting to create an authentic-feeling Space Regency setting.

No, what I want to know is:

Where along the continuum of snake oil - proven medicine do these remedies fall?

If we’re in the far future, having come from high-tech societies, we should have clinically-proven medicine available to us. On the other hand, actual Regency period science didn’t.

I’m having a really hard time trying to figure out how to roleplay this. On the one hand, my rational, skeptical side took one look at the post above and called bullshit, and then amplified that call by a factor of a hundred based on the futuristic setting. On the other hand, my character has fallen ill, and the way the information is presented, it’s clear that the offer of medicine is supposed to be somewhat compelling (despite possessing all of the traits that, to a modern eye, cause it to be flagged as snake oil).

My character’s previous thoughts on this issue (before tonics, etc., became an official thing):

Help?

5 Likes

Forgive my lack of engagement, everyone, but while Liv is Hale and Hearty, I seem to be suffering the plague.

Will hopefully post something in reply to you all, soon. When I can breathe, again.

11 Likes

As a relatively new colony world, Weatherby represents an largely unexplored opportunity. Although many aspects may have been previously studied from orbit in the general - native species, local ecosystems, planetary ecology - the introduction of local industry and multiple alien species will always disturb things to an extent. Specifically, as sorties, business ventures, and expeditions continue to stream out from the capital city, unusual and unexpected pathogens may easily find their way back to the concentrated populace.

In this particular instance, we’re probably closer to the Regency era of guesswork than we are to the futurist era of AI-assisted cures. Local chemists are likely to have a better understanding of regional illnesses, but any number of confidence sentients are likely to be jostling with genuine practitioners of space medicine to make a quick profit.

5 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Role playing, world building, and the suspension of disbelief

(Topic split to discuss immersion and things that break immersion under a new topic by request)

2 Likes

Please accept my apologies for overshadowing your own real-life illness in my overreacting to a fake one.

Please, do feel better soon.

5 Likes

Don’t fret that, it’s just something I have some perspective on atm. And I didn’t mean to come across as strident, but being sick makes me cranky.

P.S. If you can avoid this flu, do so.

6 Likes

@MalevolentPixy

SO sorry about your flu. Hang in there and take care of yourself. We’ll be here with plenty of silliness when you have the time and strength to rejoin us. whenever that is.

Get well soon!

4 Likes

I have a question regarding round 5. Dance partners are posted for the Governor’s Ball. However, many of us (including my Eudaemonia) are unlikely to elevate ourselves to that lofty rank. So if we plan to attend one of the “lesser” celebrations, do we still request dances from those characters, or make something else up?

3 Likes