Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Players Handbook

He was talking to me there. Interrupted me mid-word and everything. Had he wanted Capstanturnbuckle to be silent, he wouldn’t have then asked him to speak plainly.

Although, I admit, in what he actually said to the Commander immediately after that, there were multiple other things that would probably deserve the same treatment.

2 Likes

That’s the problem with high context societies that allow dueling. People get killed over the dumbest things.

Er, pretend ol’ Lobster Head just said that.

4 Likes

Is Players Handbook the best place for this discussion? Or can it instead be split between a new topic and Leviathan’s depending on which parts are in character and which parts are out of character?

1 Like

It’s done as far as I can tell. Could be split off for continuity sake though I don’t think it warrants going to the Leviathan

2 Likes

My “in-character” posts are bouncing back-and-forth across the fourth wall. This should not go into Leviathan’s. But I wouldn’t object to a topic split.

2 Likes

That’s not the way it’s supposed to work:

The goal is to force an apology or retraction, and, in most cases, one or both parties will get talked into backing down just enough to avoid fighting. Again, that’s what the role of second is for: to have two rational adults in the room to talk through a problem that the two hotheads can’t think logically about, and come to a conclusion that preserves everyone’s honour.

But yeah, there’s a reason duelling was banned; it is, in all cases, a stupid overreaction to whatever the original offense was.

3 Likes

FSH+2 and Rank+20 per 100£ donated

can be interpreted 2 ways:

FSH+2 and (Rank+20 per 100£ donated)

or

(FSH+2 and Rank+20) per 100£ donated

I assume the latter holds: a 200 donation produces FSH+4 and Rank +40

Do I have that right?

Thanks

6 Likes

Yes, the latter is correct: Every full 100£ donation generates both Rank+20 and Stat+2

4 Likes

@messana

One may certainly wish to commit one’s intentions to the Public Ledger, but the advantage of a quiet move submitted off the record cannot be underestimated.

And this will still have the Rank Penalty I assume.

Also is there a chance of a private order via @Bartlebot being carried out improperly or am I just making that up. I swore I had read that some where, but probably a different game as I don’t see that up in Turn Submission.

4 Likes

Correct - the small rank penalty still applies. Bartlebot cannot mangle any private orders as he just passes them off to me for execution. As we have all seen, the real risk is that I won’t carry them out properly, hence the recent visit from Price Watermoose Cooper. :sweat:

5 Likes

Is it safe to assume that the Noblesse Oblige options are one-time donations? That’s how I read it the first time, but the emphasis on “support” in the description made me wonder if it might be an ongoing obligation like the rent. I could see it going either way, from a role-playing standpoint.

6 Likes

Correct: they are intended to be one-time donations, although the wording in the description is ambiguous.

6 Likes

@messana

Agree, or disagree?

:grin:

7 Likes

Do the wards we are pursuing get any say in how they receive our advances or is it all based on stats?

4 Likes

[ Out of character]

The wards are under the complete control of the “masters.”

That’s how “Eighth” is being handled. I – the human behind Karekin and Eighth, had have free reign to control both characters. In case of the Governor’s Ball, the human operating Eighth (me) chose the dance partner.

I am truly sorry about the “rejection.” I would have loved to Eighth dance with Lady Farnsworth – but a deal had already been struck with other Dance partners and it was too late to re-arrange.

Of course, the “wards” have yet to be allowed any “in game” role besides narrative fodder and accepting dances.

2 Likes

AGREE

6 Likes

I will confess that in my younger years, I was on the disagree side - too much ego investment in all the effort I’d invested in preparing that murderous two-session overland adventure.

Now? Firmly on the agree side because that’s how the magic happens. :sparkler:

8 Likes

Wards are independent entities and make their own choices. The tastes and preferences for other Citizen Pretenders are modeled based on their stated Likes and Dislikes.

4 Likes

At this point, I believe I’m caught up with answering any questions about game mechanics either here in the PH or via PM. If that is a mistaken assumption, please let me know and I will get everyone those answers posthaste.

2 Likes

And because this question has stirred my memories, I want to share a post that clarified a great deal of my thinking around striking the balance between player intention and game mechanics:

The retelling of a parent introducing their child to Dungeons and Dragons is marvelous in its own right, but to me the crux of it is here:

To my mind, the difference is that there are Rules. It’s not just freeform improvisation, unlike the stories Sabrina and I make up together (what happens when Wheatley from Portal II takes over Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory, does Captain Jack Sparrow know Ariel the mermaid, what sort of house would we live in if we had a gazillion pounds and why do Daddy’s houses always have disco floors). In D&D, you can choose to TRY to do something, but whether you succeed or fail isn’t wholly up to you. It’s the living flesh of imagination wrapped around the rigid skeletal structure of system, and that, my friends, is how the magic is made.

Offered as food for thought for all. yes i’m still processing turn 6 i promise

7 Likes