Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Players Handbook

For clarification, if there are any differences between that list and the quality-of-outcome list, can that be provided as well?

Thanks

3 Likes

Absolutely. At the moment, the outcome adjectives are ranked thusly:

“catastrophic”
“awful”
“bad”
“very poor”
“poor”
“below average”
“average”
“above average”
“good”
“very good”
“excellent”
“outstanding”
“unbelievable”

7 Likes

Thanks!

5 Likes

Are the stat bonuses granted by buying items applied the same turn they are purchased, or on the next turn (specifically with respect to Investment outcomes)?

For example, if, in Turn 2, I buy a Novel that increases my PER from 23 to 27, and also invest in Option 3, which has PER as a relevant stat, which value will be used to influence the outcome of that investment? 23, or 27?

3 Likes

The turn results are calculated after purchases are made, so results would be influenced by PER 27.

4 Likes

I’m having a problem reconciling the high-tech aspect of the setting with the 19th century culture.

Specifically:

Let’s leave aside the whole question about a plague that can affect so many different species with different evolutionary histories, and the sheer foolhardiness of the entire empire, if modern epidemiology was one of the things discarded when reverting to Regency culture. I can, although it strains my suspension of disbelief, reconcile all that with wanting to create an authentic-feeling Space Regency setting.

No, what I want to know is:

Where along the continuum of snake oil - proven medicine do these remedies fall?

If we’re in the far future, having come from high-tech societies, we should have clinically-proven medicine available to us. On the other hand, actual Regency period science didn’t.

I’m having a really hard time trying to figure out how to roleplay this. On the one hand, my rational, skeptical side took one look at the post above and called bullshit, and then amplified that call by a factor of a hundred based on the futuristic setting. On the other hand, my character has fallen ill, and the way the information is presented, it’s clear that the offer of medicine is supposed to be somewhat compelling (despite possessing all of the traits that, to a modern eye, cause it to be flagged as snake oil).

My character’s previous thoughts on this issue (before tonics, etc., became an official thing):

Help?

5 Likes

Forgive my lack of engagement, everyone, but while Liv is Hale and Hearty, I seem to be suffering the plague.

Will hopefully post something in reply to you all, soon. When I can breathe, again.

11 Likes

As a relatively new colony world, Weatherby represents an largely unexplored opportunity. Although many aspects may have been previously studied from orbit in the general - native species, local ecosystems, planetary ecology - the introduction of local industry and multiple alien species will always disturb things to an extent. Specifically, as sorties, business ventures, and expeditions continue to stream out from the capital city, unusual and unexpected pathogens may easily find their way back to the concentrated populace.

In this particular instance, we’re probably closer to the Regency era of guesswork than we are to the futurist era of AI-assisted cures. Local chemists are likely to have a better understanding of regional illnesses, but any number of confidence sentients are likely to be jostling with genuine practitioners of space medicine to make a quick profit.

5 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Role playing, world building, and the suspension of disbelief

(Topic split to discuss immersion and things that break immersion under a new topic by request)

2 Likes

Please accept my apologies for overshadowing your own real-life illness in my overreacting to a fake one.

Please, do feel better soon.

5 Likes

Don’t fret that, it’s just something I have some perspective on atm. And I didn’t mean to come across as strident, but being sick makes me cranky.

P.S. If you can avoid this flu, do so.

6 Likes

@MalevolentPixy

SO sorry about your flu. Hang in there and take care of yourself. We’ll be here with plenty of silliness when you have the time and strength to rejoin us. whenever that is.

Get well soon!

4 Likes

I have a question regarding round 5. Dance partners are posted for the Governor’s Ball. However, many of us (including my Eudaemonia) are unlikely to elevate ourselves to that lofty rank. So if we plan to attend one of the “lesser” celebrations, do we still request dances from those characters, or make something else up?

3 Likes

Alas, as I fear I may have been unclear in the turn description - Regardless of which dinner gathering one attends prior to the ball (Governor, Mayor, Ms. Applethwaite, Ms. Fangley, and the sumptuous feast), all are still welcome to participate in the ball itself. One does not need to sup with the Governor himself to attend the ball.

Please choose the dining option that best suits one’s tastes and proceed to the ball afterwards without any judgment or gossip trailing in the wake.

5 Likes

Ah, wonderful. Thank you!

(And don’t worry, the misunderstanding was probably mine. :wink: )

2 Likes

Are there some tangible benefits to attending dinners? The risks seem real, the rewards less so.

3 Likes

Fair point. The rewards are commensurate with the risks, I’ll add some clarifying verbiage here in a bit.

5 Likes

Also: Are there any modifiers for the “Risks?” It seems that all of the described negative scenarios fall squarely into categories that would be influenced by the Character Abilities as described (except perhaps indigestion, which would be more of a Health thing).

With the probabilities as described, I’m having second thoughts about dining with Ms. Applethwaite, as the odds of something bad happening are higher than the odds of anything good.

On the other hand, with the scenarios described, my character (who, after all, went to a finishing school), would not worry about using the wrong utensil in the slightest.

(Also, seriously?! The Rank penalty for using the wrong utensil is twice as much as the Rank bonus for helping to retrieve medical supplies? I mean, I get that these are aristocrats and their priorities are therefore way out-of-whack, but still…)

4 Likes

Are all dances equally important? Do we need to pick three different partners, or would there be an advantage to asking for a second dance?

If we ask and are refused, do we have to sit out that dance?

(I’d say this was like prom only I refused to go to mine)

6 Likes