Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Players Handbook

as I understand the rules, one can dance with one’s own ward.

can one dance with the same partner more than once?

2 Likes

I refused to go to my prom, as well. But my girlfriend insisted we got to hers (our high schools were 35 miles apart – not real barrier to dating in Texas :wink:

4 Likes

Ewww.

That’s Judge Turpin-level icky.

7 Likes

You dance if you want to. You can leave your ward behind. 'Cause your ward don’t dance, and if it don’t dance, then it’s no ward of mine.

11 Likes

I have a question about real estate and rank:

realestate

I currently rent a Fashionable Apartment for £700/turn, which boosts my rank +300, putting me at 661. So, if I want to attend the Governor’s Dinner, rather than plunking down £750 to rent some flashy sportscarriage to temporarily make me worthy of the Guv’s attention, I’d be better served by investing £525 (that is, £25 for the movers and £500 over my current £700 rent to afford the £1200) in movin’ on up to a Luxurious Digs on Whipweed Place to accomplish the same end (with a further bonus of an extra 50 status points), right? Or have I misread?

2 Likes

Rank bonuses don’t take effect until next turn.

I’ll pull up the reference in a minute.

Edit to add:

2 Likes

So… uh… Renting the joint won’t get me into the dinner?

1 Like

I assume not.

1 Like

Well, then how does renting a flashy carriage ride accomplish that? I ask you!

(he asks, tittering with glee at a fellow GM who has painted themselves into a logical corner)

5 Likes

Beats me, but there’s a reason I upgraded last turn, knowing the Ball was this month (and a reason I left that post unposted until the last minute, to avoid giving people the same idea).

3 Likes

Well, fiddlesticks. No biggie, if @messana sez them’s the rules, then I’ll just nag the mayor instead of the governor, but I’ll still smirk at those who think a car rental is more influential than The Right Address, even if it does still smell of drying paint.

4 Likes

Obviously you are seen in the carriage upon your arrival, thus making an immediate impression that allows you access to a more refined dining experience.

Whereas the apartment, while nice and longer lasting is something that must be seen and proven by your peers and betters to believe that you have actually made it into society.

Yes, yes, it is terribly superficial, but why else does one see so many flash sports cars in otherwise run down apartment complexes.

4 Likes

Piffle. None of us are so nouveau as to be taken in by such an obvious ploy, which could be undertaken by any Sea Pea with the effrontery to swipe their mentors’ debit card out of a greatcoat pocket.

You all (ahem) know who I am.

3 Likes

The intended effect is:

Apartment rank bonuses are permanent and are applied at the end of the turn and are ‘permanent-ish’.

Carriages and other temporary bonuses are applied immediately, available for the duration of the turn, and do not carry over to the next round.

This will allow individuals the option to attend swankier events than they would be able to at the moment and help bridge the sudden shift from an income-focused to a rank-focused game phase.

Precisely this. “Ohhh, I do believe the Governor himself has a sudden opening at his table and he’d be delighted for someone of your means to join him.”

5 Likes

I don’t suppose Mr. Boulderclaw has a book open on this affair?

4 Likes

Well, I understand the intent but the logic is shaky. Apartment rank bonuses last as long as you rent the apartment (just like carriage bonuses last as long as you rent the carriage… or, I imagine, longer since the round ostensibly lasts a season and the Governor’s Ball is probably just for the night, but whatever). The only practical difference is that one’s apartment lease renews automatically every round unless one actively cancels it by moving out… but one still has to pay for that bonus every single round. In a way, establishing a pecking order by show-offy owned real estate would make more sense. A rented car being more impressive than a rented apartment strikes me as a superficiality too far, if you take my meaning.

But the rules are the rules and I’ll live by 'em without complaint.

3 Likes

Another difference being that you don’t lose additional Rank for returning your carriage, but you do for downsizing your apartment.

3 Likes

Richies are weird.

7 Likes

And carriage rentals are very expensive, in relation to apartments.

4 Likes

I just looked, for laffs. I can rent a Ferrari 458 Italia for $1495 for 3 days (Monday thru Thursday–then it bumps up to $3750 for weekends).

2 Likes