Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Turn 9 - Aisle Royale

[GM Note: I fully expect some errors in the above report as the time commitment to crunch the numbers was somewhat longer than I remembered, preventing a proper double check. As always, please PM me with any errors related to mathematics, copy-and-paste, or other source. The turn options and latest copy of the WST will be posted later today.]

3 Likes

Dr. Frankenketchump @old,

Of the 8 whipweed farms held by Leviathan members,

You were the only only to escape the blighht

For the sake of Weatherby’s future, you simply must share your scientific breakthrough!

At Your Service,

Mr Karekin

8 Likes

My dear Mr. Karekin, I expect it’s mostly luck as my GMO Blight Resistant Whipweed (™, ©, ℠, Patent Pending, batteries not included) is only an experimentary variant. However, this season’s crop yields would suggest further research to be worthwhile. Consider these initial genetic modifications to the whipweed genome, as a beginning upon which we might base a superior version of the initial crude model which Mother Nature has provided for us.

11 Likes

“Are you sure about this, sir?” Laraby, the city desk editor, taps his pencil nervously against the conference-room table. “There are some prominent citizens implicated here.”

Liv grimaces. “I know. I share a club with some of them… for the moment, anyway. After tomorrow? Who knows. But we wouldn’t be running this if I wasn’t sure.” Captain Turnstanbuckle (@pogo) and Sir Heironymoose (@Wisconsin_Platt) might want to string him up when they see the Post-Ledger in the morning (or at least hear about it), but the truth is that the Ratchetcrank boy and Julius pup are neck deep in this gang business. Tomorrow’s special edition isn’t pulling any punches. “Despite what the Times and the Flibbertigibbet might try to sell you, journalism cannot play favourites.” Not that he is; if the moose wants to string him up, it might help if he remembers Liv exists in the first place.

“Now, as for safety, this building is both bullet and blast-proof. Anyone else who wants to get in on my offer of a paid, out-of-town vacation for themselves and family has until midnight to get their paperwork to me with their receipts for reimbursement. But the Gang Wars special edition hits the streets starting at 3 AM.” He’s even hired sales-bots for the occasion: no sense in some eager young sentient taking the punishment of a pissed off gangster who wants to send a message.

But this is it. This is the kind of thing that sets the Post-Ledger apart from its competitors. Here we go.

9 Likes

Those are interesting. They seem to be an anti-bacterial?

I’ll have Eighth look at this when he is, um, in town.

7 Likes

"Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance.”

– Jane Clawsten, Pincers and Pinchability

Turn Deadline: Fri May 04@ 11pm EDT

Great effort has been made to present one’s household and self as containing a proper and decent future for a certain Citizen Pretender. The moment has finally arrived to speak those long silent words and ask for their hand/paw/claw/pleopod/hoof/tentacle/mathematically-defined surface in marriage. The joining of two households presents the opportunity to spend a lifetime together, navigating the eddies and shoals of time and tide as one. Oh! And the dowry, certainly that’s not to be overlooked either.

Turn-specific events

Meanwhile, one might expect the following:

Turn 9 plague progress: Very Good chance for any existing condition to improve, Poor chance for it to worsen instead.
Turn 9 blight progress: Poor chance for any existing whipweed holding to recover.
Turn 9 special risk: Good chance of interference from the mysterious adversary, should you have one.

Matrimony

Optional: After months of courtship, the time to offer a formal proposal has arrived. You may tender an offer of matrimony with the following order:

Propose Cassie Oceana

After which, one will need see to it that the wedding day is properly attended to. Select one of the following options.

Venue 1: A stately ceremony in St. Marrowbone Cathedral: The place all True Citizens hope to speak their vows, the Cathedral dates back to the very founding of Weatherby.

• Cost: 120% of current net income
  • Requirements: Rank 800 or higher, or Aldersentient (@Wisconsin_Platt, @penguinchris, @MrMonkey)
  • Benefits: +15 to your lowest stat, Rank +100, receive gifts equivalent to 20% of gross income

Venue 2: A blossom-strewn ceremony in Brummel Park: The open spaces are so inviting in all seasons. Just hope for good weather.

• Cost: 80% of current net income
  • Requirements: FSH of 40 or higher
  • Benefits: +9 to your lowest stat, FSH+3, Rank +75, receive gifts equivalent to 10% of gross income
  • Risks: Fair chance of inclement weather resulting in benefits being reduced by one third.

Venue 3: A seaside ceremony in the south of Weatherby: The shore presents a remarkable backdrop to an important moment, and the easy access to fresh sandfish presents a remarkable dining opportunity.

• Requirements: PLUCK of 1 or higher.
  • Benefits: PLUCK+1, Rank+50, +5 to highest stat, receive gifts equivalent to 5% of gross income.

Venue 4: A thought-provoking ceremony in the Weatherby Museum of Natural Science: Intellectually-minded couples find the backdrop of fossils and plants to be a thrilling setting, even if some guests find it a bit off-putting.

• Requirements: EDU 35 or higher
  • Benefits: +10 to EDU, Rank-50, receive gifts equivalent to 15% of gross income

Venue 5: A quiet ceremony at the ancestral homestead: Although it lacks the flash of other venues, certainly the first step in a lifelong journey should be made upon the solemn ground that your own ancestors walked.

• Cost: 60% of current net income
  • Requirements: none
  • Benefits: +2 to all stats, Rank +25, receive gifts equivalent to 5% of gross income

Gifts

Optional: One should also celebrate the happiness of other sentients. Select up to three other members of Leviathan’s to send a thoughtful gift on their day of nuptial bliss. Specify a player, the cost of the gift, and the nature of the gift itself (images encouraged!).

Example block for turn 9 orders:

Propose Cassie Oceana
Venue 4
Gift @penguinchris 45 "Selection of sentimental sound discs"
Gift @hadley 60 "Artistic Daguerreotype"
Gift @ghoti 50 "Crystal ball and pewter stand"

Should one wish to abandon one’s current suit and declare for another entity, the option is available but risky - merely declare your proposal as such along with a moving statement for the change of heart. Success will be based on the preferences of the Citizen Pretender, the fondness they have for any current suitor they may have, as well as the fickle nature of the heart.

Should one wish to abandon one’s suit entirely, the option is certainly available. One need not propose after all, but society does expect this sort of thing.

As always, additional options may be selected as well

Military Service

Expand for details regarding purchasing military commissions

With the potential threat of a resurgent New Prussia, the Queen herself has authorized the purchase of an official commission in the local forces. Purchasing a commission is a one-time payment that allows one to immediately assume the appropriate rank. Each subsequent rank is incremental instead of cumulative, that is to say: moving from the rank of Ensign to the rank of Lieutenant in the Space Hussars will cost an additional 250£ and yield an additional bonus of MIL+3 an Rank+15. This option will remain available for at least the next 12 months (i.e. at least through Turn 9). For example:

Commission Ensign Space Dragoons
Commission Space Hussars MIL bonus RANK bonus Space Dragoons MIL bonus RANK bonus
Ensign 450£ 4 20 840£ 8 80
Lieutenant 700£ 7 35 1190£ 12 120
Captain 1800£ 18 90 3225£ 32 320
Major 3200£ 32 160 4575£ 44 440
Lt. Colonel 4500£ 45 225 6175£ 60 600

Place Wagers

Optional: One may choose to wager on this season’s Lagoderm race. Merely select a promising creature from the Sports & Leisure section and also indicate the size of the wager. Example:

Wager Hamdinger 100

Rent:

Expand for details regarding renting of apartments

Optional: One may procure personal quarters within the city at the current market rate. Any change of quarters comes with an additional 25£ fee for moving services. Each improvement represents a move to a better neighborhood with a more impressive address. Example:

Rent Spartan apartment

The following neighborhoods are available for rent.

Nature of Quarters          Upkeep                Effect     Neighborhood       
--------------------        --------------       ---------- --------------
Spartan apartment            75£ per turn         +50 rank  Ten Path
Modest apartment            200£ per turn         +75 rank  Paddingdown
Proper apartment            400£ per turn        +150 rank  St. Marrowbone
Fashionable apartment       700£ per turn        +300 rank  Dragoon Mews
Luxurious apartment        1200£ per turn        +500 rank  Whipweed Place

Although the plague continues to abate, several useful medicines are still available for purchase by popular demand:

5£ Dr. Arbuckle's Whipweed Tonic Wine
10£ Ms. Merrimoose's Soothing Syrup
15£ Franklin Gooseberry's Remarkable Colloidal Seryl

[And although a bit late, this season’s edition of the Weatherby Space Times has been published.]

5 Likes

Oh mr. karekin,
I’m so glad I found you here in the laboratory at your farm. I do hope you can figure out how the rest of us can replicate the old dr.’s success with his whip weeds.

But I am here on a much more pressing matter. I have finally found my soul mate and I am preparing to propose. Really except for the fact that he spends an inordinate amount of time in the water closet, he’s just perfect for me. But now I have to plan the wedding and I just really don’t have a head for this kind of thing and I’m really too busy running my thriving large volume newspaper to understand the benefits and costs of each venue.

You know my income, status and all my plus and minus points. Where do you recommend I get married?

10 Likes

Dear Lady Farnsworth,

You have three wonderful options for celebrating your bond with (I presume) Qaaxtzl.
I am flattered that you seek my opinion; as there are many more qualified than I here at Leviathan’s, I hope others would comment as well.

Given the family bonds, Brummel Park (Venue 2) would a Fabulous Choice. I am sure Beau Brummel would be pleased to see his ward advance to True Citizen at the park that bears his name. This would also generate 75 status and 211 in gifts.

Another excellent choice that reflects your hard-earned educational achievements would be The Weatherby Museum of Natural History (Venue 4). This would have the same cost, and yield 316 in gifts, but only generate 50 in status. (I had incorrectly stated 75 status in an earlier version)

CORRECTION: I misread. Venue 4 (natural history museum) results in a LOSS OF 50 STATUS

Whatever you choose, I am certain your choice will reflect the refinement and decorum the Farnsworth House is renowned for, making a certain Moose Patriarch very proud.

Honored to be at your service,

Jules Karekin

8 Likes

In a bar that is about as far away from Leviathan’s as is possible in both geography and class, a young sentient shoulders his way through the crowd to a booth near the back. He drops into one of the cheap, cracked vinyl seats and pulls a small mobile communicator from his pocket, before connecting another, larger device to it. His hands speak of a life of manual labour, strong, with knuckles scarred from years of bashing into something or things unyielding. He’s not overly large, but there’s a definite sense from the way his shoulders shift beneath his dirty flannel jacket that to pick a fight would be a mistake. The battered workboots on his feet say the same thing – the steel caps may be scuffed and slightly dented but they would still do damage to some ribs or a skull. At least, that’s how the patrons here read the signs, and the fact they’re still breathing is testament to their skill.

He puts in an earpiece, the cord snaking out from under the hood that shields much of his face from view. Then he punches in a code and waits.

“I’m wanting t’talk t’ the Old Man.” He wastes no time with pleasantries, once the connection is made. He listens to the response, head shaking ever so slightly. “Yes, I think he is going to be wanting to talk t’me, but y’r choice… t’ain’t me goin’ t’have t’be tellin’ him how t’mind his own businesses.” Neither the accent nor cadence are Weatherbean; wherever this sentient is from, it isn’t here.

There’s another pause while he waits for the sentient on the other end to work out the implications of that statement. He leans back into the booth, surveying the room and finding it sufficiently uninterested in his conversation. Of course they are. These people may be scu— salt of the earth, but they aren’t stupid.

He listens to a new set of greetings. “How’s Charlie?” he responds. This time the pause is even longer, the voice on the other end presumably answering the question in detail. Then, “I got some information y’might find useful. A tad, anyways. An’ I’ll be needin’ a favour – could work out f’r both o’us. Nah, nothin’ so drastic. Just a couple b’ys need some remindin’ the size o’th’r britches. ‘n som;in’ else you might fin’ useful. I got a b’y here…” he types a number into the mobile, “‘I woudn’ go trustin’ him wi’ any secrets, min’, but he’s not the type t’be sayin’ ‘no’ if ya offer him a hand.” he chuckles softly at that.

“Nah. I c’n handle som’in’ like that. Yah. Jus’ wantid t’give ya the head’s up. I know y’r not likin’ surprises.” He disconnects the call, before disconnecting the two devices. The larger goes back into his inside pocket while he drops the mobile to the floor and deliberately puts one heavy boot on top of it. Cracking and popping, the mobile promises to keep its secrets forevermore. He waves down a passing server-bot and orders a beer, or at least what passes for beer in this place. It’s cheap and bitter and reminds him of home. He glances over at the newspaper someone left on the seat. Things, he thinks, are about to get real interesting. “Should’a left alone, b’y. Should’a left alone.”

10 Likes

A packet ship prepares to leave from the Weatherby militia’s Outer Base, the Weatherby militia’s usual level of perimeter security in evidence. Is that extra bump on the exterior? a blue bump, perhaps?

The packet ship arrives at the marshaling point, a surprising number of antennas scanning across the poorly organized military depot.

Several craft come by in ragged formation, roughly helmed by clearly green pilots

A small bluish element detaches from the recently arrived packet ship and merges seemlessly into a sleeker vessel heading back to Weatherby.

14 Likes

Oh Oblate Spheroid…

Shall I compare thee to a squish’ed orange?
Thou art more round and yet you bend:
Sharp corners do bound the squares of cube,
And cone’s point hath all too sharp an end;
Sometime quite pokey the tetrahedron whole,
Awaits to poke a naked foot in the night;
And every cylinder set down does roll,
By chance or gravity’s unchanging fight;
But thy eternal symmetry shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that ellipsoid form;
Nor shall derivatives upon thee be played,
When in eternal lines to shape thou conform:
      So long as shape can form or volume can be,
      So long lives this, and this gives form to thee.

12 Likes

A rumour sweeps through the streets of Weatherby: a mere day after the Post-Ledger ran it’s special edition, the editor seems to have vanished without a trace. No one at the office or his family estate have seen him, though there is word of an unsavoury type spotted lurking near his apartment.

The paper continues to publish, despite the absence.

8 Likes

[GM Note: Given that Bartlebot forgot to do his weekly nagging, the window for order submission for turn 9 will remain open until 11pm EDT this evening to give some time for players with outstanding orders: @pogo @David_Falkayn @nimelennar]

3 Likes

[writes down “NAGBOT - for Igor” in his idea notebook]

6 Likes

Hieron gazed out the window. The decanter on the side table had been closer to full a hour before.

A jostling came at the door. Then a pause. And then other rustling and the door opened. Rocco dropped some items into his pocket and walked in with a puzzled look on his face.

“Oh! Mister Farnsworth. I didn’t expect you to be home. Good thing, I suppose, as my key wasn’t working and I…ummmm…had to jim…err…fiddle with it to get the door open. You want me to go get a locksmith to look at it.”

Hieronymoose acted as if he hadn’t heard any of the Rocco’s stammering.

“Rockford, my dear fellow, come have a seat here and enjoy the sunset.”

Rocco approached slowly, his tail twitched nervously when he was unsure of what was going on.

“It had not occured to me when I rented this flat the view it would have. See how the sunset pierces the St. Marrowbone Cathedral stained glass windows? Georgeous, really.”

Hieron let a silence fall. After the space of a dozen of Hieron’s heart beats (and more than double that of Rockford’s), he cleared his throat.

“I’m sure even with all of your extra-ciruricular activities you’ve heard of my impending nuptuals?”

Rocco nervously nodded. Hieron reached over and poured the squirrel a wee dram and handed it to him.

“To the institution of marriage and all that comes with it!”, intoned Hieron.

"Congratulations, Sir. I’ve been meaning to find time in our busy schedules to stop off and congratulate you.

“Yes. I’m sure you have.” replied Hieron flatly.

Rocco twitched on the edge of his seat. The scotch was some of Hieron’s best.

“About the locksmith…”

“Yes.” Interupted Rocco, “I can go straight away, I know a guy who’ll come straight out even as evening falls upon us…”

“No need. A proper locksmith was out earlier in the day. As I said, I am to be betrothed soon and we will live for the most part here in town.”

Rocco blinked several times as his nose twitched.

"So, to put this bluntly, you will of course have your room out at Abacus Racks where you are free to stay as my ward. But no longer do I wish you in this apartment. Furthermore, I do not wish for you to be “Inspecting the Warehouses” on my authority and have informed the foreman of that.

“Dear, dear Rocco. I hope you can understand why I am doing this. It’s not that you’ve fallen in with a bad crowd. It’s that you’ve fallen in with a bad crowd and been noticed. All sentients will have their daliances in their day, but a true Gentlesentient knows discretion and honor over all.”

“Your mates Tom and Eighth were keen enough to secure life mates. Even that Qumquat? Qwattle? Whatever his name is has found the eye of my dear cousin. Do you not understand that when the chips fall - and fall they will - those who are married to True Citizens will find their misdeeds swept under a carpet and those whose only ‘protection’ is an Aldermoose who must be seen as a acting in Weatherby’s interest will be…dealt with harshly.”

Rocco’s eyes had grown wide with astonishment.

“I would ask that you keep your nose clean until after the ceremony. I’m sure we can work out an arrangement to keep you out of the press until then, hmmm? It would be noticed if my own ward was not in attendance.”

A silence lingered briefly as Hieronymoose let Rockford twitch.

"I’ll have you know that you must be thankful to Liz already; Ms Heliotrope has a noted distaste for the Military. And just the other night, Cmdr Damerl (@pogo) had already begun inquiries to an academy that he could put a word in at. ‘Shape the boy, right up.’, he said. This was while I was enjoying an evening at Levithan’s.

“So, Boyo,” spat Hieronymoose. “I will give you this as an option. There happens to be a certain Trades Concern that will be taking in it’s inaugural class. I happen to have some influence there and have secured for you a place in that class as well as a room in the domortory. I think a proper education in business accumen would see you do well. Word has it that your freelancing has been reasonably successful. Complete the course in the top of your class, keep your whiskers clean, and I’m sure I will have a place for you in one of my businesses. Fail and your only option on Weatherby will be cleaning the fish pens.”

Rocco blinked. Blinked again. Finished his scotch.

“No need to answer tonight. I’m sure your busy schedule needs to be cleared. I’ll give you until tomorrow dinner. Liz and I are dining at the The Antlers and you two can be properly introduced. Fail to show and I’ll let the fishmaster know to expect you. You can go now, Rockford Julius.”

13 Likes

Sniff, sniff.

Igor… Igor!!

Do you smell something burning?

Fur, perhaps?

12 Likes

Cousin, it is so nice to have a drink with you. It’s been far too long. Thank you so much for the heirloom family quilt. It means so much to me. I never got to meet great great grandmother. I treasure now having some connection to her.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I brought you a small gift. Just a little trifle . Something to wear for the special day. I know you usually don’t go in for adornments but I thought maybe for this special day you might want To go all out.

I did want to ask a favor of you. Would you do me the honor of walking me down the aisle and giving me away to Qaaxtzl?

You and Rocco are the only family I have here.
Speaking of Rocco, I know you already have a heads up on some of the activities of his associates. But I wanted to personally tell you that the paper will be printing the Catalufa report in the morning. Rocco and all his friends are going to be investigated for murder. I’m sure Rocco had nothing to do with any of this horrible business. But the investigation will sully our good family name.
Oh well and we were just getting such a good clean start over here. I’d finally felt like I was free of the shadow of all that business with aunt Molly from 5 light years ago.

Sure I’ll take another scotch before I leave.

9 Likes

But, of course, I’d be happy to walk you down the aisle. But, truly, I’m not giving you to [discreetly checking a card slipped in his sleeve] Qaaxtzl, it would seem more to the point you are taking young [glance] Qaaxtzl off of LT Brummel’s hands.

The investigation will come and it will go. Fingers and tongues will wag. Money will change hands and - IF- at the end of the day, a poor, orphaned squirrel who witnessed the murder of his own parents must be locked away to protect society, what can one do.

I trust you have properly vetted your own beloved? One hears things, but one can never trust the idle talk of servants…

11 Likes

The Antlers was the oldest Space Moose owned and operated restaurant on Weatherby. And while it was not uncommon to see other sentients dining there, most all of the patrons were Alces Astros to be sure. The decor was straight out of Nunavut V and Al Aska. The willow bark salad was fresh everyday and the Maple Bourbon was exquisite.

At a private booth near the back a party of two were about to start in on the fondue as a well dressed Scuridae Interplanetary slid up to the table.

“Please pardon my tardiness, Sir. I had some scheduling conflicts to resolve. Please give my thanks to Pierre for setting out this lovely suit.”

Hieronymoose noticed a slight swelling around his eye and his knuckles looked a tad raw.

"Of course, I asked him to make sure something appropriate was left out with all your other effects being boxed up now.

“But, I’m forgetting the purpose of this little dinner. Liz, this is my ward, Rockford Julius. Rockford, this is Ms. Heliograph my fiancé”

“Ms. Heliotrope, I’m charmed to finally make your acquaintance.”, chittered Rocco and he bowed slightly and kissed her hand.

“And it is my pleasure to finally meet you, Rockford. Or is it Rocco?”

“I find Rockford is more dignified. As I’ll be starting my Moosian Business Accumen courses shortly, I feel it is really who I am to be.”

"Studying for an MBA? How impressive. Hieron did you have anything to do with this?”

Hieron merely smiled as he stabbed a bit of rye bread to dip into the molten cheese.

After swallowing the cheesy morsel, Hieron dabbed at his lips with his napkin, “So glad to hear that you’ve opted to be a productive member of society, Rockford. Please, have a seat and join us.”

11 Likes

Rest assured, Qaaxtzl is a most studious, resourceful and cosmopolitan young space lizard. I am sure he will be nothing but a boon to the Farnsworth name.

11 Likes