RIP. Don't let the door hit where you split

The second article has a description of the late doctor as “long-locked” which I first misread as “land-locked”, then misunderstood as him being locked-up. Why couldn’t they just use “long-haired” or even “long-tressed”?

4 Likes

Are we sure he was ever alive?

3 Likes

Does it matter?

2 Likes

Was she a bad person, is that why you have her on this one, instead of the other RIP thread?

1 Like

omg, no! shit, i meant to put her in the regular ol’ RIP. i’ll move it. sorry, everyone!

3 Likes

I figured that’s what happened; don’t apologize - I don’t think any less of you. Grief can do that.

1 Like

I did the same thing!

2 Likes

well, i just don’t want anyone to think i have anything against someone who was clearly wonderful. : )

3 Likes
4 Likes

His talent doesn’t make up for his evil.

1 Like

I don’t even think he had that much tallent.

3 Likes

He was a good producer and had a talent for picking bands.

Look, there are just as many evil talented folks as good ones, y’know?

1 Like

Part of his “legend” requires listeners to imagine that they were listening to music through a jukebox or AM radio, and not through a “HiFi” system.

If you’re not willing to do that (and why would you), it’s a weird muddled sound that may not appeal.

And if you up pick on the fact that Specter had his musicians rehearse for three hours until they were too tired to play with individuality, you can associate the legend with labor exploitation.

Sure, there’s something to be said for his analogue methods requiring more than a turn of a knob, but capitalist adventurism has its own problematic legend.

In my mind, he’s the answer to a trivia question-- along with Bruce Dickinson.

6 Likes

i thought you were trying to cast aspersions on Bruce Dickinson, the Iron Maiden lead singer, and i was about to jump in and defend him – but then i saw that it’s just some other, lesser Dickinson, so carry on.

4 Likes

I loved Lana Clarkson. She brightened up everything she was in. Burn in hell, Phil.

4 Likes

The New York Times: George P. Shultz, Influential Cabinet Official Under Nixon and Reagan, Dies at 100.

7 Likes
9 Likes

It looks like Rush Limbaugh has passed away.

14 Likes

Huh, and somehow I feel nothing in response to that. I’m probably just tired from all the COVID deaths, all the winter weather deaths, and all the deaths at the hands of police, but maybe I’ll gin up some emotion for that guy eventually.

Edit: fee to feel

8 Likes

as someone who went to school in his home town, and an alum from his alma mater, and as someone who was eventually fired from the newspaper he once worked at because i was way way WAY too liberal for them: good.

11 Likes