RIP. We'll miss you

Man, I’ve got a tear in my eye.

From John Scalzi, I’m listening to it now.

9 Likes

i am so, so, so very crushed. Rush was my first concert. Neil’s lyrics and his drumming touch me to this day. i haven’t been this gut-punched since Bowie died, and not this stunned by the death of a drummer i love since John Bonham. what a loss.

6 Likes

That’s a helluva first concert!

It’s super sad about Neil Pert, though. What a crappy way to go.

I will pour one out for him, tonight.

4 Likes

well, it was for the Signals tour ('82), so i didn’t get to see them for Moving Pictures or 2112 – but it was close enough to those tours in time that they still did a LOT of music from those, including the whole 2112 suite, which was fantastic – it blew my high-school aged mind that i was seeing it performed LIVE. one of those concerts that you just never forget.

4 Likes

Well, I’m Peart’s generation (within a couple of years of him, as a matter of fact), so you have my sympathies - I’ve been seeing the giants that I grew up listening to drop like flies recently. Last year, for drummers alone, it was Jon Hiseman (Colosseum, etc.) and Ginger Baker (Cream, etc.). I’m pretty sure that Peart would have been learning from drummers like these (also Tony Williams, I suspect), and they’re a’ deid. Weren’t our Immortals supposed to live forever? :cry:

8 Likes
6 Likes

Same here. I had no idea who I was going to see, I just went with friends, and WOW.

What a loss.

5 Likes

i knew who we were seeing – i had to BEG to get permission to go – and it lived up to every expectation and then some.

i’m no musician, but i’m seriously wondering who now takes the “best drummer” mantle from him – he seemed so singular, and the last of a generation of rock drummers. i mean, Phil Collins is an incredible drummer, but they just are different types of drummers, so i don’t know if he fits the bill. Dave Grohl is the next generation, but he’s the one that comes to mind for me – but i think even he would demur at the comparison.

4 Likes

I heard about this at TOS:

I still remember watching Highlander in first-run, all those years ago. Richie was never my favorite character, but the actor did a fine job portraying him. Afterwards, he started his own acting school. It’s so incredibly sad. And he was so young, too, only 51.

5 Likes

err wrong topic. putting where it should go.

1 Like
5 Likes

Olney stopped in the middle of a song and paused, said “I’m sorry,” and “put his chin to his chest,” said fellow singer-songwriter Scott Miller, who was performing with Olney at the 30A Songwriters Festival in Santa Rosa Beach.

“He never dropped his guitar or fell (off) his stool,” Miller wrote on Facebook. “It was as easy and gentle as he was.”

I admit, I don’t think I’ve heard of him before. But, still…that’s quite a way to go.

12 Likes

yes, same here. i wasn’t familiar with him at all, but from what i read in the articles about him, i should have. he played a type of music i love with many people i know. it’s weird that he apparently was just circling, circling outside my radar. and wow, what a way to go. and to have his last words be “i’m sorry” in the middle of a performance, like he had ANYTHING to be sorry about. wow.

[EDIT]: found this – recorded earlier the same day he died, evidently. he’s even wearing the same outfit described in the article (“cool hat and rust-colored jacket”). beautiful, beautiful

6 Likes

I read that his last words were “I’m sorry.” I don’t think I want them to be mine.

5 Likes

:cry:

11 Likes

Two down . . .
Sad news. He was brilliant. Living with dementia must have been awful.

9 Likes
10 Likes
6 Likes

I love this:

4 Likes
9 Likes