RIP. We'll miss you

Look how young he was here.

This was before he became a tough guy.

7 Likes

Spartacus is going the be the movie most mentioned, but heā€™ll always van Gogh to me. he was the same age as van Gogh was when he killed himself when he made Lust For Life, and he always said making that movie he got so into playing van Gogh that it almost killed him.

7 Likes

Favorite little known Kirk Douglas film:

3 Likes

Little-known indeed - I donā€™t know it. :smiley:

2 Likes
8 Likes

Itā€™s a really funny comedy in my opinion; Douglas and Fox are great playing off one another.

2 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes

Thatā€™s sad. I saw them perform with Paul Simon when I was in college.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure how I missed this one. :anguished:

5 Likes

Oh my gosh. This guy I was crazy about in college was the biggest Pat Metheny fan. I forgot all about this little trivia about him until you posted that.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Rule in Hell, Coffin Joe!

4 Likes

Iā€™ll admit Iā€™d never heard of him before, but that movie looks like itā€™d be a real hoot.

2 Likes

The later ones that Iā€™ve seen I enjoyed more, but this one is still very good. It introduces the character Coffin Joe, which is Marinsā€™ primary alter ego, a madman obsessed with the idea of finding the perfect woman to give him a perfect child.

He also had the Finis Hominis (End of Man) films, in which he portrays the eponymous savior of humanity who spends his downtime in the local lunatic asylum. Quite the dichotomy, which has inspired more than one critic to deem him literally mentally ill.

3 Likes

I think Masters of Atlantis was the first book of his I ever read. I donā€™t recall much about the plot (I never do) but I do remember plowing through it in a weekend and being a bit nonplussed when I finished. It wasnā€™t what Iā€™d expected when I picked it up, but I couldnā€™t quite figure out how it was different, or what it actually was, instead. It was definitely funny. :smile:

I liked this bit from the Arkansas Online obit (also linked in the post above):

ā€œIā€™ll put it this way: When my 9-year-old daughter turned over a straight that beat my two pair and said, ā€˜Shot by a child!ā€™ I knew that reading True Grit to my kids had been a good idea,ā€ Rotella said.

5 Likes

I watched the first several minutes of the At Midnightā€¦ link above, but 240p was just brutal in fullscreen. Is it safe to assume there are higher quality recordings to be found if I seek them out?

Video resolution issues aside, I like to like things, so Iā€™m always intrigued when I discover other peopleā€™s cult favorites for the first time. Iā€™m not necessarily a horror buff, but I do have a certain appreciation for the delightfully weird, and ā€œeponymous savior of humanity who spends his downtime in the local lunatic asylumā€ sounds right up my alley, in that respect. Thanks for the intro.

1 Like

There have been DVD releases, for example:

https://www.mondo-digital.com/coffinjoe.html

1 Like
9 Likes

A bit of a long read, but an interesting take on Freeman Dyson.

3 Likes