RIP. We'll miss you

7 Likes

No way!

(I had a major crush on her when I was a kid. Now I haz a sad.)

4 Likes

She has now attained Mellowness Supreme.

4 Likes

I don’t know why but I always confused her with the Delta Dawn woman. Maybe because they did the variety show circuit at roughly the same time. Now they’re both gone. :worried:

2 Likes

She battled breast cancer for a really long time.

4 Likes

I assume you mean Helen Reddy, although Tanya Tucker recorded it first.

3 Likes

https://kboeradio.com/on-this-day-in-1972-13-year-old-tanya-tucker-records-delta-dawn/

2 Likes

If you will forgive a bit of pedantry… it was first recorded by the guy who wrote it, Alex Harvey, on his debut album in 1971, though he did not chart with it.

In fact, despite a 35 year performing career and (I think) 15 albums, he never charted above the top 20 in the US himself. Many, many of his songs were covered by and charted by more popular artists. His other song you may have heard of is Reuben James, recorded by Kenny Rogers, which was a minor hit on both pop and country charts. Rogers was a big Harvey fan, and recorded something like 20 of his songs. Harvey used to joke at his concerts that those two early songs kept the wolf from their door many times at a dime a pop for the royalties.

He had the bad luck to have the same name as another, more popular Scottish singer, and a popular American film director as well. His music is pretty much out of print. His albums were all on vinyl, and never popular enough to make the transition to digital. He performed a lot in tiny venues throughout the south during his career. He also had an additional minor career in TV and movies, and another in radio. And he also wrote a somewhat popular book, TEXAS 101: What Every Non-Native Needs To Know.

This is one of two of his recordings available on Youtube: Alex Harvey performs Delta Dawn and Reuben James

The woman singing harmony with him is his wife, Gineille. He died in 2020 at the age of 79, a few days before another much-beloved and better known artist, John Prine. Alex Harvey Obituary He also has a Wikipedia entry if you want to look it up, but the above obituary is much more comprehensive.

4 Likes

So true. I was thinking about only the women.

2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes

Because humans can’t behave themselves, we will kill the walrus? WHAT the FUCK?

7 Likes
5 Likes

I just found out. I know people who said Ronnie did it. Ignorant folks.

I wonder if he ever saw this movie, or this clip?

2 Likes
1 Like

But the man who oversaw the breakup of the USSR was not given a state funeral.

President Vladimir Putin, who has called the end of the union the “greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the century”, did not attend.

The Kremlin’s official explanation: No space in his schedule.

“Gorbachev gave us hope, helped us dream of liberty,” Stanislav tells the BBC. “I hope our society is not saying goodbye to liberty.”

“This is a farewell to the person who has done his utmost to save the country from authoritarianism, from backwardness,” says Olga, a pensioner and long-time Gorbachev fan.

Veteran liberal politician Grigory Yavlinsky was among them, saying: “These people came to Gorbachev to say 'Thank you Mr Gorbachev. You gave us a chance, but we lost this chance.”

Another Putin ally - his predecessor Dmitry Medvedev - showed up, later to berate the West for seeking to break up Russia.

4 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like