Site Bugs?

Seems to have worked; though I won’t know for sure for a few minutes.

Thanks

5 Likes

Not as far as I can see. I’m not sure if it’s Discourse that’s truncating the headline, or if the source(Newsweek in this case) is doing it.

3 Likes

It’s Discourse.

Maybe we could customize the code somehow? Write a plug-in? Something?

2 Likes

I’m using Firefox 57 on Windows 10. I have a problem returning to this site after clicking the hyperlink in this posting:

https://bbs.elsewhere.cafe/t/the-crazytown-thread/695/245?u=kxkvi

When I try to return to that page, I get the following error:

Reloading the page returns the same message. I’m not offline, and I all I have to do is make a new tab and navigate to elsewhere.cafe again.

Any suggestions?

ETA:

I just noticed I got a Windows 10 notification that I can get the Facebook app. I don’t even use FB, and I wasn’t anywhere near it. But I don’t know if it was related or not . . .

4 Likes

I just got this message again when navigating from another site entirely. ??

2 Likes

Sure would be nice if Windows 10 and/or Firefox would tell me which fucking app they are referring to.

ETA:

If I open a new tab I can navigate to Elsewhere.cafe. From there, using the same tab, I can navigate successfully to many other sites. But if I ever navigate back here, I get the Cannot Load App error. I always have to open a new tab. This is the only site I’ve tested that does this!!

2 Likes

Same. 4/5 times I try to load, I get this. Also on the newest Firefox, but is Mac 10.13.1. Not encountering the issue on the latest Firefox on iPhone 11.1.2.

3 Likes

I’ll try to replicate the issue this evening. Chrome, and forks of Firefox, seem to be working.

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Same for me on the mac, all ok on android and iPad.

1 Like

FYI:

Bug doesn’t happen there or at The Other Place.

2 Likes

In this case, the message is coming from Discourse, not Windows or Firefox:

It’s a generic message with a generic identifier, so not easy to see where it’s coming from. Caching might make sense if the client side has the message stored somewhere but has forgotten how to communicate with the server for whatever reason…

3 Likes

Thanks for tracking that down. I wonder why something thinks my computer is offline.

I notice discourse has a new interface. I wonder if there’s a connection. I can’t recall if the notice started appearing at the same time, though, but both started in the last week, I think.

1 Like

It’s a fair assumption that the same update that knackered BB for a half day is also responsible for lingering cache issues. We recently updated to the same releasr BB is running…

1 Like

Interesting. Thanks for all your work!

1 Like

Update:
Unable to replicate, but it definitely happens.* I tested on Win 7 with an (updated) existing user profile. Issue seems to be an interaction between FF57 and the new Discourse instance VM.

1. Mainly to Firefox desktop users, who use as primary browser

2 Likes

Thanks for looking into it! Seems like the thing to do is wait for a patch in the next Discourse update, then.

2 Likes

I did receive the same message at BB, just now, for what that’s worth…

I’m only able to post because I’m using an alternate browser… still having no joy in FF.

3 Likes

I got the same message today using Waterfox 64 v 55.2.2. It went away when I reloaded.

1 Like

I got it once today as well and it went away after a refresh. I may have actually been briefly offline (parts of my office building are like a Faraday cage) but it’s not exclusive to FF builds:

1 Like