So who do we elect this year?

Oh, FFS.

4 Likes

Anything to muddy (i.e., shit into) the waters.

2 Likes

It’s not going to happen, but… it would be amazing if a number of electors from states where being a faithless elector was legal, voted for Biden when they were supposed to vote for Trump, just to protest all the crap happening in this election. The reaction from Trump and Trump voters who have hung their hopes on faithless electors, or on stunts like the additional elector slates, would be glorious.

5 Likes

The Republicans are no longer a legitimate political party because they no linger believe in politics.

5 Likes

Or democracy (even our weird form of it).

5 Likes

Yeah, and they’d start getting violent and take it out on the innocent.

5 Likes

I suspect it wouldn’t get that far, because it wouldn’t actually change the result of the election in any way other than causing Trump to lose by more than he would otherwise. If they’d get violent over that, then they’ll probably get violent over Trump losing anyways. Which no reasonable person wants, but if they are determined to then it’s not like there’s any real way for anyone on the winning side to prevent it.

I do suspect that it would end up with both parties pushing to make the electoral college a thing of the past. I’m not absolutely sure that removing the electoral college from the equation would be entirely without drawbacks, but I wouldn’t exactly argue strongly against it.

3 Likes

Do we have enough reasonable people in this country?

4 Likes

Doesn’t really matter how many reasonable people there are, unfortunately. What matters is how far the unreasonable ones are willing to go, and at what point they can be stopped.

3 Likes

Um, don’t we need reasonable people to assist in this matter?

No. Or, rather: yes, but mostly after the fact.

Reasonable people are unlikely to prevent violence, no matter how many of them there are. One unreasonable person intent on violence will most likely manage to create violence in some way (yes, there are some specific situations where it can be headed off, but they’re more the exception than the rule).

If you’re asking whether there’s enough reasonable people to avoid wide-scale violence, then that’s a slightly different question. I strongly suspect a significant proportion of Trump voters, possibly even a majority, wouldn’t be on board with direct violence. And at least as many who voted for Biden don’t either.

…though, if somehow Trump tried to keep control of the country with his soap-bubble “proof” of fraud, I think moral outrage would probably change the balance.

5 Likes

Problem is, it takes an entire society of reasonable people to keep things chill. But it only takes one unreasonable nutcase to set off a calamity.

5 Likes

Especially with technology being what it is.

4 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/12/14/biden-transition-electoral-college-live-updates/#link-S6FETC5ZVJGHJNZSNG6QPKQJD4

Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.) gave a convoluted response to reporters in which he seemed to take great pains not to reference Biden’s victory in any way: “Well, it seems to me that being elected by the electoral college is a threshold where a title like that is probably most appropriate and it’s, I suppose you can say official, if there is such a thing as official president-elect, or anything else-elect. And there’s an inauguration that will swear somebody in and that person will be the president of the United States, but whether you call it that or not, you know, there are legal challenges that are ongoing — not very many — probably not a remedy that would change the outcome but, so, I don’t — again I don’t know how a politician refers to another politician but it does look to me like the big race is really between the inaugural committee and the Justice Department at this point.”

Anything to avoid Biden’s electoral college victory.

5 Likes

Meanwhile…

2 Likes

That hurt my head to read, I don’t know how someone could actually give a speech like that without being drowned out by groans from the audience.

4 Likes

I bet he wouldn’t say the words, “Black lives matter”, either.

3 Likes

Have you ever read any of the transcripts of Trump or Palin?

Somehow there seems to be a huge number of people who just love listening to that kind of crap. It’s “folksy” or “saying what they think”. :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes
5 Likes

I think…I think the parties should morph to meet the people’s needs, not vice-versa.

1 Like