Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

Well I think I found the designers model.

5 Likes

Nocturnal dreams wherein Iā€™m doing something physical and my body is ā€œplaying along at homeā€ so my foot or toes cramp and make me wake up.

This morningā€™s dream I was one of three people coaxed on by someone to throw a light hand-sized object like a grenade across a field. ā€œThis is too light, I wonā€™t get the distance the other two had.ā€

I am told: ā€œIt helps if you run back, like a football player, before you launch.ā€

I do so and my toes cramp ow ow ow

6 Likes

Two more irritations:

I couldnā€™t sleep much this morning because my body refused to be comfortable. Iā€™d get in one position and my leg would throb, so Iā€™d change position only to overheat. This went on for over three hours, despite my swallowing an alarming number of sleep aids. I didnā€™t take anything for my leg throbbing because it wasnā€™t an ache or pain, just the throb that comes from spreading my legs out too widely.

Irritation number two is having enough of a thought to open a reply window for a topic, typing five words in, and then realizing I donā€™t even know how the sentence or paragraph will end as Iā€™ve forgotten the point I was trying to make. I did okay in this post, because the discomfortā€™s messed up my alertness and sleep rhythm to the point where the irritations I have are my only complete thoughts this morning.

10 Likes

I saw a performance of Holstā€™s ā€œThe Planetsā€ Friday night. It was pretty good ā€“ they also displayed a video feed of photos of the planets, synced to the music. But they only showed one Saturnian moon and it was Titan. Gosh people the whole Saturn system is so interesting. Itā€™s not just rings and a couple lakes. Geez.

6 Likes

Now be fair.Titan is the largest Saturnian moon, and the second-largest in the solar system. What else would they show, the sixth-largest or something, for Peteā€™s sake? I mean, other moons might emit jets of gas, but so do I, and I donā€™t expect them to play video of me at concerts. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

So what video did they show for Uranus The Magician?

4 Likes

Vexations de jour:

Frustration:
When something excellent happens, only apparently Iā€™m the only one who thinks itā€™s excellent as the other person whoā€™d think itā€™s cool isnā€™t around to enjoy it. Stephen Fryā€™s Personal Assistant wrote me back regarding a request I made on someoneā€™s behalf. Is it quite interesting? Perhaps if someone other than I mentioned it.

Knowing that people with very busy lives will respond to a polite, brief inquiry or note but lesser lights with ample free time are willing to double-down on their obstinacy and refusal to see reason when presented with an appeal to their better natures. Some website publisher ignored my letter regarding a request I made on someoneā€™s behalf.

10 Likes

I think itā€™s cool that Stephen Fryā€™s assistant responded to your letter. I donā€™ t know the backstory, but still think itā€™s cool!

I donā€™t know who this stupid asshole is that ignored your request though. Probably someone not worth any of our time, amirite? :wink:

8 Likes

[quote=ā€œLearnedCoward, post:191, topic:170ā€]
I donā€™t know who this stupid asshole is that ignored your request though. Probably someone not worth any of our time, amirite?
[/quote] Right. He couldnā€™t give a hoot, so letā€™s not extend a privilege he wonā€™t give us.

Someone wanted Stephen Fry to appear on a vodcast, and asked who had an address for him. I didnā€™t have one, but I knew how to get it and I volunteered to write a letter. The letter IS cool to me, because he definitely read my letter and cared to send a response the best way he could. Thanks for validating the coolness.

8 Likes

I see what you did thereā€¦

6 Likes

I canā€™t seem to do much about this, but my phone number is attached to my spouseā€™s voter record, so Iā€™m getting messaged by candidatesā€™ campaigns. I want to tell them to fuck off, regardless of their party affiliation or platform, as Iā€™m not a voter.

6 Likes

Cellphones usually have a block function, although Iā€™ve never really used the one on mine, I just ignore and delete anything from randos (I donā€™t get many of those, but it has been increasing recently). Still, itā€™s annoying if they come in while youā€™re expecting an important message/call.

4 Likes

Depends on the cell. Mine doesnā€™t (as I was rather perturbed to learn).

3 Likes

I donā€™t answer my phone unless Iā€™m expecting a call or someoneā€™s ā€œARENā€™T YOU GOING TO ANSWER?!ā€ right in front of me. It saps my will to live, not even exaggerating here, when a scammer calls. My phone is an instrument for my convenience, not a jackpot for scammers nor for campaigners and push-poll firms.

12 Likes

A few years ago there was a by-election one riding over from where I live. Someone didnā€™t read the map, and I started getting robo-calls ā€“ LOTS of them.

I finally called the offending riding office in frustration and had to deal with a condescending dolt, who finally acknowledged I did seem to know west from east after all and that my home address was not in the riding. It took a lot of arguing.

7 Likes

I want to tell them to fuck off, and I am a voter. The junk mail, the ads, the phone calls, itā€™s all too much. I think being an unaffiliated voter has something to do with it.

7 Likes

We live in a rural area, and the nearest neighbors are about half a mile away.

One neighbor likes to shoot guns at targets. They do it far away from the road and from any buildings. Itā€™s a safe location, and they practice regularly. Itā€™s close enough to hear, maybe 3/4 of a mile from our house. No worries, really.

Except today, I am jumpy, having been thinking about nuclear annihilation at the hands of an unhinged asshole. And, they have been at it for about three hours. They must have been thinking about the destruction of civilization also, I guess. If that is the case, though, maybe they should hang on to some of that ammo?

10 Likes

A combination of OverDrive, Adobe EPUB, DRM, and Linux.

I donā€™t like reading long books online, and the above is why. However, the wait for popular eBooks is shorter than it is for physical books.

Search: ā€œlinuxā€ ā€œEPUBā€ ā€œreaderā€

Result: Calibre.

Read reviews for Calibre. Check compatible formats, see EPUB listed as one. Download and install.

Read FAQ or TFM for Calibre. ā€œMost EPUBs have DRM, so Calibre cannot read them.ā€

6 Likes

See also ā€œCalibre cannot, on its own, remove DRM from ebooks. However, it is possible to added third-party software (ā€˜pluginsā€™) to enhance calibre.ā€ Thereā€™s a very popular plugin for that.

6 Likes

The following real-life interaction bugged me so much I havenā€™t recovered:

The Post Office!

KB: ā€œTwo stamps please.ā€ Brings out coins from pocket, begins sorting them by pennies, nickels, dimes and quarter for easy calculation.

Postal Worker: ā€œYou donā€™t have enough money for two stamps.ā€

KB: ā€œI have not finished laying out the coins. Can you wait until we see all the coins before you tell me I donā€™t have enough money?ā€

PW counts out money. ā€œNinety-eight cents.ā€

KB: ā€œEnough for two stamps. Donā€™t tell me Iā€™m wrong when you donā€™t have enough information to make that declaration.ā€

Hey letā€™s beat up on Keister because sheā€™s a dumb female sheā€™s not even American who the hell brings in change and makes us do math at the counter we have to finish her sentences for her and tell her sheā€™s wrong.

17 Likes