Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

I usually read that as “One Size Fits Most (but not you)” and look elsewhere.

Oh hell yes, especially as the sizings are based on old sizes and measurements - that weren’t especially good even then!

And yeah, like the plane cockpits had to in the 50s, other UI/UX really really have to, much more than now.

4 Likes

Okay, this grinds my gears - and it feels like it is in my head: Weather-related sinus headaches/migraines.

There’s no lots of snot to blow out of my nose, just swollen tissues in my sinus cavities. (Gee, maybe if I brushed my sinuses, I wouldn’t have cavities?) Which creates a tricksy pain that ebbs and flows; when it ebbs, I think, “YAY!”…but then it flows right back, only slightly more painful.

Argh.

4 Likes

Coming off a five-day migraine, that almost sounds like a Fuck Today, over simple gear-grinding

4 Likes

Not thinking that well, plus I was on this this thread to begin with.

This is my second one in a week.

3 Likes

So one size fits nill?

6 Likes

I have heard it referred to as “One Size fits no-one terribly well”.

7 Likes

Depends on what you call “fit”. An older lady I know who used to design and make her own clothes pointed out to be that nowadays “fit” just means “covers enough to be decent; comfortable enough to be mostly forgettable”. There’s a reason nearly 100% of “one size fits all” items are made from knitted fabric, and that relates to how over 20% of all fabric produced in the world is some sort of knit.

6 Likes

Ouch. Well, whether it’s better a Fuck or a Grind1 (or indeed whether 'tis important which), you have my honest empathy.

As you’re being kicked in the head right now, let us know if we can help re: thing like reminders for doctor appts/taking migreleve, or just good old sympathy.

1. That sounded unintentionally filthy, didn't it? Not changing it though. :wink:
7 Likes

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/tee-hee.gif

Healing vibes sent my way would probably help (I’m in MI, if that helps). I was taking Imitrex when I first really started getting them, back around the turn of the century (just LOVE typing that!), and they worked for five hours, the pills; the injection worked for 12 on the first dose, then five, then nada. And I had injection site issues.

I’ve found that smoking pot helps make the pain bearable, and somewhat interesting as well.

11 Likes

Yeah. I was halfway through typing it when my mind went there.

Absolutely deserves to become the standard terminology though. :joy: :joy: :joy:

ETA: I carefully didn’t suggest specific meds [ETATA: Damn, I apparently name-checked Migralieve, when I meant migraine meds in the generic sense. My apologies.], as I assume you’re experienced and on top of the options (and also being kicked in the head, like right now) reminders about seeking help/taking meds for something that just appears to have gotten worse for some reason on the other hand,
seemed more reasonable…

The positive vibes you can have freely and plentifully though. :thumbsup:

(Also, I just carefully tweaked the bit you quoted a little. Shakespeare called us ‘lewd interpreters’ and, well, it’s a true calling. :slight_smile:)

7 Likes

#*LMAO!

­

9 Likes

I have problems finding clothes that fit, even in Big And Tall (short and fat?) stores. I’m tall enough, but way too thin. I’m not sure if the clothing manufacturers assume everyone over six feet tall is built like a football player, or if I really am that thin.

6 Likes

This. I’m 6’4" and although I have a bit of a beer belly, I’d basically have to be spherical to fit most pairs of trousers that I find with the correct inside leg measurement.

Also, the recent trend for skinny fit everything (at least, that’s a thing here in Singapore) can go die in a fire. Who are all these people with 38" waists walking round on toothpicks??

6 Likes

That used to be me. 6’2" and rail-thin with all my clothes ill-fitting; living alone, I’d eat maybe one meal a day, some vegetables or something if I remembered to. My current housemates love to eat, and after a bunch of years of that I’ve gotten more pudge round the middle. Still don’t fit clothes all that well but now we’re all dieting and working out, so we’ll see.

5 Likes

This is true for dress shirts. They leave too much room in the belly IME. I guess this makes sense, because people who wear conservative dress shirts everyday are often older and also don’t have time to exercise. Hell, I’m older and don’t have a lot of time to exercise.

The same people who take the elevator up one floor, or vulture park in the first row of the supermarket, or think I’m literally crazy for walking more than a couple blocks at a time.

6 Likes

One of my housemates is having the same stupid argument with her boyfriend about their relationship again.

It’s 1:30 in the morning here :confounded:

OMG either break up or get over it. Both of you. Stop it.

12 Likes

Do you have a hose pipe?

7 Likes

Beating someone with a hose pipe is never the answer, no matter how tempting it might be… :open_mouth:

ETA: Sometimes it’s the answer but only occasionally…

7 Likes

It grinds my gears when:

Someone accuses me of not having the decency to do a little research on a claim, when the person hasn’t bothered to read that I supplied the bibliography entries to two professional journals and one doctor’s book on traditional diets, and comes up with an “Eating Well” web article that exactly proves the point I made of American adaptations of the Mediterranean Diet not being as healthy as a traditional Cretan diet, all the while claiming the American adaptation of the Mediterranean Diet is indeed healthier than the traditional Cretan diet.

It’s like a mommy blogger accusing someone of losing weight dangerously, when the reducer follows dietetic guidelines from a doctor who runs an intensive dietary management clinic for diabetics, because the mommy blogger can’t accept that losing adipose fat doesn’t require exercise. The mommy blogger is convinced that the caloric restriction must come from energy expenditure, and not a combination of reduced caloric intake and elimination of foods that promote inflammation. A woman could never lose weight that way, only through squats and purchase of Lululemon exercisewear, thinks the mommy blogger!

Or, a red-state small-town morning newscast weather person arguing against climate change with Bill Nye.

"Um, even though this is on the internet where we could both look up sources I’m going to just say you are wrong and uninformed rather than insist you show me your sources, because then I can at least provoke you into showing me your sources. I’d really hate for you to be calm while you’re showing me how I’m wrong or uninformed. "

11 Likes

This is one reason I rarely wear dress pants. It seems people my height who wear dress pants usually need room for at least one or two other people in the pants with them. At least I can usually find jeans and BDUs that fit.

Dressy shirts are even worse. Shirts designed for my shoulder width have enough room in the torso area to smuggle a few illegal immigrants strapped to my belly. But those designed for my chest measurements have sleeves that come nowhere near my wrists and shoulder seams that feel like they’re halfway between my neck and shoulder.

So if you see me in jeans and a t-shirt at a formal occasion, it’s not so much that I’m a slob as that I’m not a man-barbie that fits some designer’s ideal proportions (which for some reason seems to involve having an enormous belly, narrow shoulders, and short arms and legs).

5 Likes