Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

No worries.

#^_^

6 Likes

They all look like taller or shorter, wider or narrower versions of the same person?

7 Likes

Is there a game where you can type in measurements and then design for that doll/model? That would be cool

8 Likes

Yeah, it would.

7 Likes

Because then I could try on clothes before I sewed them, saving so much time and fabric

3 Likes

Since that is actually how the fashion world makes sizes - by adjusting a standard size 6 up or down, instead of, like, doing what any woman would do and adjusting for how women typically put on weight in some body areas more than others - I guess it makes sense?

7 Likes

I’m in an airport. A woman across the way is reading a book. I’m curious and a little bored, so I hit up amazon, to see what is about, without thinking. Are they going to bombard me with “how to be a proper Christian woman” books now? Do i have to buy some Anton LaVay to balance the scales? Or can I just look at titles? I feel so exposed. Whoever did the cover design did a good job.

10 Likes

Unfortunately, this will go on your permanent record. Don’t be surprised when Jim Bakker knocks on your door to sell you buckets of food.

9 Likes

Oh shit!

5 Likes

I knew people who were working on something like that, but it was for a US Military R&D effort, not a commercial product.

4 Likes

That reminds me of this, and makes me hopeful that the lesson remains learned:
(Thismaybeaside-trackandI’msorry)

(Plus, it’s my absolute favourite tale about the perils of assuming ‘normality’, and also relevent to about …ooooh, maybe half of the other conversations that happen hereabouts? :innocent:)

9 Likes

Yes, part of the same study actually.

Some of the individual data points were quite weird.

4 Likes

Oh excellent!

This is continuation of that work, right?

6 Likes

Yep. There’s now an entire directorate geared toward human factors research, and last I checked it was still headquartered at Wright Patterson.

6 Likes

This pleases me.

6 Likes

Now for the concept (and its application) to be expanded.

Clothing design and manufacture. 140 years ago virtually everyone had made to measure clothes. Now virtually no-one does, even though “just in time” bespoke manufacture is straightforward to do with robots.

UI/UX on things like phones. Voice and face recognition. AI in general.

Most of all, the whole “one size fits all” concept.

8 Likes

Yes, but one size fits all of what?

4 Likes

That’s my point – “one size fits all” doesn’t really fit anyone.

6 Likes

Have you seen the labels that read, “One Size Fits Most”?

Again, most of what?

4 Likes

I’ve seen it, especially on trouser socks. It’s a slightly more accurate lie.

7 Likes