Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

…Apocalyptica?

4 Likes

there is a wasp in my room :fearful:

• meh
  • NUKE IT FROM ORBIT

0 voters

7 Likes

There are plenty of other unpleasant things that I can and do deal with much more calmly than the rest of my family. But if a bee or wasp gets in, I’m evacuating and waiting for my wife or daughter to deal with it. (I don’t want to find out whether or not I’m allergic like my dad was, and the buzzing and flying around faster than my eyes can track drives me crazy.)

Strangely, the girls aren’t scared by them, but they flip out if a nice friendly little spider is sitting there catching bugs for us.

12 Likes

No new job yet. Nobody from any of the places at which I’ve recently interviewed has called me back.

13 Likes

May you have the fortune my partner did. She’s been seriously looking for a job for about six months now.

Six months of no call backs, “Thank you for your interest, but…” calls and “We’d love to have you work this middle management job for just over minimum wage.” jobs

Finally got a “real” offer. Took it and that next week had four or five more offers come in.

But, she stuck with the one she accepted as it means most days we can carpool and not incur the additional commute cost.

15 Likes

I’m collecting personal documents and filling out my co-op review board application.

It combines all the fun of both filling out an income tax form and renewing a driver’s incense. And it has the added pleasure of explaining the darkest aspects of your life to people you don’t know.

13 Likes

So I went to the doctor today, all ready to defend my position on continued use of the Prednisone, and she just kind of shrugged and said, “Okay.”

I’m not going to look this gift horse in the mouth…

13 Likes

I want to get some of that. :wink:

11 Likes

It has new-car smell.

9 Likes

As long as it’s not Fast Food Wrapper™, Last Week’s Laundry™, or Wet Dog™.

8 Likes

See, that’s the thing I really am okay with doing! I wish I could get paid to do that for people who don’t like to do it!

8 Likes

Is that a fancy way to say “road rage”? Or an English translation of “road rage” from another language?

7 Likes

Have you looked into being a virtual assistant? I don’t know a lot about it, but the way it’s described sounds like that, taking on others’ drudgery for money.

11 Likes

Well, I’ve never been very virtuous…OH. Sorry, misread.

11 Likes

I know it won’t do any good, but I finally had enough with Jeff at the other place and had to flag a bunch of his posts. I suppose that’s what he’d want, what with the insistence on flagging bad posts instead of interacting with them.

8 Likes

Was this that stupid “humans are trash” thread?

6 Likes

Yup, if not more?

5 Likes

That, and the previous thread, and many more before that.

5 Likes

Getting ready for some minor surgery next week. Very minor, no big deal, but because of the location it’s supposedly difficult to anesthetize so they’re using a general. OK, that makes sense. So now I’m trying to get signed up. Before I can get signed up at the surgery center, before I can read the terms of treatment for the surgery center, before I can enter my medical data, before I can even use the site, I first need to make a grant of intellectual property rights. And that’s only on the second page of the site’s terms of use; many more pages to read.

This stuff really burns me up. If I had it as a paper document in front of me I’d be marking it up and initialling my revisions, but because it’s online it’s take it or leave it.

I still don’t know what it’s going to cost; tomorrow is devoted to figuring that out. I’m thinking of going in with magic marker on my forehead telling them no one can treat me without being in-network for my plan.

Then there’s this:

I can’t even parse that sentence. All I know is someone is selling something, these guys are making money off it, and it’s probably my information being monetized.

At least I’m not at the other hospital. There, if you want to be treated you have to give up a handprint. Just say no to biometric identifiers.

16 Likes

I wish I could. I have a choice of two hospital systems. There is the not for profit one with the biometric hand scanner thingie, and there is the church affiliated one (run by a nun driving a cadillac) which has been taking poor people’s homes for years, with lawsuits and ass-covering. It’s not a great choice, TBH.

11 Likes