Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

1. People only have one middle initial.
9 Likes
  1. People’s names sometimes have diacritic markings, but you can safely ignore those.
  2. There always exists a character or combination of characters without diacritics which can replace a character with diacritics.
  3. If you print out a character in a given font, it can be read in with optical character recognition and be recognized as the correct character.
  4. There always exists a unique translation of a name written in non-Latin alphabets into the Latin alphabet.
  5. There always exists some translation of a name written in non-Latin alphabets into the Latin alphabet.
  6. If someone is a Sikh, they will have another last name they can use instead of Singh or Kaur.

Yeah, I’m not a fan of name processing.

11 Likes
  1. If a standard transliteration into the Roman alphabet exists, it will be supported by standard versions such as ISO/IEC 8859-15.
4 Likes

Speedy healing

7 Likes

Is it just me, or are movies getting flashier?

I used to be able to watch Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope but I can’t watch the latest remastering. Even if I shield my eyes from the screen, I get flashed by the rest of the room.

It could be me.

It could be the tv.

It could be flashier remastering to catch up with flashier movies.

7 Likes

I think you’re right, that it’s a trend.

6 Likes

Also with audio. I wonder if they’re just trying to shock people to get them to look up from their cellphones for a few minutes every now and then to actually see some of the movie.

6 Likes

no, and i get that. i just thought it was funny that Ronin was the first on your list, and i actually have a family member with that name. i thought it was rather unique!

6 Likes

Learning about an org change on vacation.

An org change that puts my team under an entirely different branch.

Well…still on vacay until tomorrow, so I’ll deal with it then. For now it is time to drink.

13 Likes

Procrastinating, I just watched a CNN clip of a Great White shark leaping out of the water unexpectedly. The newscaster explains that it’s a group of boys with their fathers (this fact is repeated several times) on a fishing trip, and one boy is reeling in a fish when the Great White decides to grab it.

Except, the person reeling in the fish is an adult woman. No question. But somehow no one involved with the news could see that. Didn’t fit the story they wanted to tell, I guess.

12 Likes

I love Captain Marvel, but it really annoys me that Fury can’t read Kree – although in its own that makes sense – but the Skrulls and the Kree can read English without any obvious technological interventions. Just show them pointing some laser thingy at the writing before showing the audience what it says. Not like it’s going to break the budget on a film like this.

7 Likes

To be fair to the Skrulls, they’ve been on Earth for a while and have had time to learn.

Can’t think of an excuse for the Kree, though.

6 Likes

They were? They only go there when they figure out Carol has memories of planet C53.

The Skrulls on Mar-Vel"s satellite, yes, but the ones reading Carol’s memory weren’t in that cohort. They didn’t even know that’s where the Skrulls with Mar-Vel were hiding.

5 Likes

They knew enough to identify Earth as a planet from Danvers’ memories; they knew enough about the circumstances of Danvers’ induction into the Kree to know to abduct Danvers and search her memories in the first place.

My interpretation was that the only thing they didn’t know was the sequence of numbers representing the location of the satellite (and then how to translate that into a location).

5 Likes

Probably did a search of A Field Guide to Technologies of Backwater Shithole Planets.

9 Likes

I hope I have it right, but my interpretation of the MCU and Agents of SHIELD is that the Kree are generally self-absorbed assholes who wouldn’t really bother to make the effort to learn English. Am I incorrect in this reading?

6 Likes

In general? Yeah, I think you’re right. Mar-Vell would have had to learn as part of her cover, the Supreme Intelligence would have picked it up from Vers, and perhaps Yon-Rogg would have learned it in anticipation of an eventuality where Vers went home. But, as a whole, it would be like an American learning the language of the North Sentinel people; the vast majority would have no desire to interact with a people they would regard as backward savages, and most of the people who would bother would do so out of a sense that they’d be “enlightening them” to a superior culture.

5 Likes

1st person asks for feedback on a project.

I give accessibility feedback, which involves some of my sensory sensitivities

3rd person: “If [x] makes you sick, then why/how are you even alive right now?”

8 Likes

This trend is well known:

http://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/2012/5/the-shape-of-boys-names-an-update-on-the-age-of-aidan

Eventually they will drop the final “ən” because they realize that it’s redundant. All names end in “ən”, duuurrrr…

Becomes:

Rone
Sore
Aid
Mace
Ev
Land
Dyl
Grace
Camer
Kier

I like it!

8 Likes

So Mason Soren Smith will become Mace Sore Smith. I like that too.

5 Likes