Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

And Grayson Landon becomes Graceland

8 Likes

I needed that chuckle, thanks!

5 Likes

Morbo:

REGULAR SOUND SHIFTS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

You’re more likely to see other names assimilated to the common paradigm. Miken, Bobben, Daven, Billen, Jamen, Alexen, Kristofen, etc.

If you have pronounced stress on a single syllable, you’re likely to lose syllables, like in French and English, especially British English. West Germanic in general lost a lot of masculine nominative endings. But you’re more likely to lose middle syllables from longer words. So Kristen, Alen, etc…

2 Likes

What really grinds my gears: my brain.

I have a couple of friends who like to meet up close to my office about once a month. The latest meetup was tonight, and I forgot.

They just called to ask if I was okay. Argh.

19 Likes

I just set an alarm for paying my rent, tomorrow. I hear ya.

17 Likes

Me three: I put the major bill that must be paid tomorrow (using an actual check) in front of my keyboard so that I cannot miss it in the morning.

18 Likes

Googling “Gilda Radner The Muppet Show full episode”, finding it on DailyMotion…

AND IT’S THE ONE WITH HELEN REDDY!!!

10 Likes

Thanks for reminding me! :joy: My landlord even stopped by today (to check on the landscapers’ work) and I thought of it then but promptly forgot when I got back inside.

12 Likes

So I opened my window to let in a little fresh air, and soon after that someone stood under my window smoking some of that le reefure. Now my apartment smells worse than the back seat of Cheech and Chong’s Subaru.

16 Likes

Fortunately it isn’t cigs, so should dissipate quickly. I used to have a downstairs neighbor who put a box fan in his window facing out so he could smoke without going outside. Thanks motherfucker!

12 Likes

LOL no it doesn’t. I’ve practically gotten a contact high walking past my neighbor’s door on occasion. Although it doesn’t seep into the walls and furniture quite the way cigarette smoke does.

6 Likes

“Let me e-mail you my script…”

“NO, PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING REVISION MANAGEMENT SYSTEM AND PUSH THEM TO THE SHARED REPOSITORY.”

Let me go back and remove the swears and caps on that one …

12 Likes

Can anyone confirm whether it’s possible to ignore Jeff at TOS, or does his privileged staff account mean we all have to listen to his BS? My activity there has fallen low enough that I can’t ignore any user to check myself.

10 Likes

I am not permitted to view the requested resource.

Which means I can’t.

8 Likes

We can’t officially “Ignore” the Coding Horror or anyone at admin level, AFAIK.

I lowercase ignore his ceaseless techbro master of the universe bullshit as much as I can, but it sure as hell ain’t easy.

And yes, he is such a self-absorbed, condescending, intentionally obtuse twunt.

16 Likes

It is not.

So many before you have tried.

15 Likes

I tried to route around the button by inputting his nym directly in the form in my preferences. If you start typing it in, it will appear as a clickable option, but ultimately the system won’t accept it.

ETA: You can supposedly mute him though.

10 Likes

This tells me all I need to know:

I find that changing people’s minds can take years, even decades. It doesn’t happen overnight.

He’s so convinced he has the right answer that his goal in discourse is to change everyone else’s mind, even if it takes years to do so.

That’s not a statement you make if you have the slightest inkling that you’re wrong, because if you’re willing to listen to what other people say and critically examine how it lines up with your own beliefs, you can shift your perspective overnight, literally so.

So someone measuring changing minds in “years” is obviously not acknowledging the possibility that it’s their own mind that might need to be changed.

17 Likes

That is the funniest epithet I have heard in years. And for techbros so appropriate.

13 Likes

Yeah… the egomania is real.

Thanks; it’s an ‘oldie’ of mine, but if anyone merits dusting it, off it’s Jeff.

10 Likes