Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

I had to run monthly subscription reports for allllllll the active publications put out by HOUR Media. And then print them on 11x17 paper. And then go over them and find errors and make corrections.

I’m so glad I don’t have to do that any more.

4 Likes

I know so little about grammar that I’m not sure what is being implied by this sentence.

5 Likes

Well, I’ve always thought the basic (or main) verb tenses are past, present and future.

6 Likes

subdividing past into perfect and imperfect is something you can do to present and future tenses as well. So why stop at four?

3 Likes

My gears are BEYOND grinding right now…

Will someone PLEASE start paying me for something? I just tried to apply for assistance with my water bill, and this is the first thing that’s required to qualify:
“Required Documentation to upload:
Household income for last 30 days including today FOR ALL HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS (the household MUST have income to qualify)”.
Well, I HAVE NO INCOME!!!

I KNOW that I can’t be the only one, too! And all those caps in the quote - those are that of the program, not mine; I copied and pasted that first paragraph from the actual online application.

5 Likes

Well, there are sixteen total.

4 Likes

Here are some charts to make it “easier.”
https://www.easypacelearning.com/all-lessons/grammar/1198-12-verb-tenses-table-learning-english-grammar-tenses

4 Likes

Thanks, but my remit is purely to teach present continuous, so I’m going to simply avoid much comparison with the other tenses.

To explain further, the problem is that the PowerPoint claims that their are four main English verb tenses, past, now, future, and present. I think this makes my befuddlement much more clear. To be perfectly fair, this might be a very good way to teach beginning English grammar to native Chinese speakers. Perhaps this maps well to Chinese grammar and is a good way to start off. (My Chinese grammar is too poor for me to be certain either way.) Or it may be simply and completely wrong.

Since I just don’t understand the context of what they have been taught before, rightly or wrongly, I’m going to avoid the issue.

Two hours teaching only one verb tense. Loooooong class.

9 Likes

past, now, future, and present

yeah, that’s confusing.

5 Likes

I thought…the present WAS now?

5 Likes

Yeah, I was being facetious. I didn’t even realize there were 16, though I think I understand them all, and may have even used them all. Interesting how the brain can use complex things without being able to list them.

Now that we have time travel, we’ll need a whole slew of new verb tenses. :smiley:

7 Likes

7 Likes

it verbs
it verbed
it will verb

it is verbing
it was verbing
it will be verbing

it has verbed
it had verbed
it will have verbed

it has been verbing
it had been verbing
it will have been verbing

it starts getting silly if we count it is going to verb as a separate tense and permute it with the others

8 Likes

During the english enlightenment, many writers decided graft Latin grammar and spelling into English (islands). Latin never splits infinitives, German splits them almost as a matter of course.

2 Likes

We have present and preterite, and then use auxiliary verbs to create more tenses. Have, will, shall, be, been, did, etc. Not all apply in all dialects.

P.S. Of course have and have to have opposite implications. almost any present verb+to+present verb implies something in the future or potentiality…

3 Likes

I know enough Mandarin to know that verb tenses are the worst concept to try to teach Chinese students of English first!

7 Likes

OK, so, to put it in very broad terms: you don’t have verb tenses in Chinese the way you do in English.

I go to the store yesterday.
I go to the store today.
I go to the store tomorrow.

So, your students won’t even understand what you’re talking about.

9 Likes

Well, they’ve had prior acquaintance with these concepts in English class, so they needn’t be completely lost.

I just heard from a Chinese friend that they do indeed teach that there are four main verb tenses in English. So, I’m just going to not worry about what they usually teach because I can’t relate to it.

9 Likes

maybe there’s a “zero income affidavit” that you need to file?

3 Likes

When they have “MUST” in all caps, they’re not messing around. ModestNeeds.org is the same way, as well as help from the MSU Extension program for property taxes; one has to have at least a part-time job to qualify for them.

And if I’m gonna work a gig-job, it’s going to be for ME, not for some company.

5 Likes