Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

I know someone who was contacted by the hiring manager to apply for a position. He did, but his resume never crossed the manager’s desk. Next time they meet, the manager asked why he hasn’t applied, and my friend explained he had.

The manager told him to write at the top of his resume, “I have experience in [list of specific skills using jargon the manager provided]”. It was in the resume already, but not in a way HR could understand. So he did, and then the wheels of bureaucracy flowed a bit more smoothly and he moved onto the interview process and getting hired.

On the one hand, I feel bad for HR. On the other hand, if you’re going to work in such-and-such an industry, why wouldn’t you want to learn about that industry? I’m in banking IT, and most of our HR people come from banks or insurance companies. It just makes sense.

10 Likes

I work for a mid-sized UK bank, our HR is just shut shit.

Edit: a word

7 Likes

Flashing lights, for “safety,” where they can be dangerous.

Gifs.

Incapacitating pain, for “safety,” where it can be dangerous.

Flashing signs, saying “OPEN.”

2 Likes

There are several train crossings near me with Flashing Lights on the signs for “Caution: Train Crossing” that continually flash.

So I always approach them going…okay are those the “Train Coming, Crossing arms will drop momentarily” or just the damn “Hey, we got train tracks here” signs…and almost get rear ended

5 Likes

Just now walking through a goddamn parking lot with my phone in my hand and this guy driving in his car tells me to “wake up.”

1. Dude. It’s a fucking parking lot. Pedestrians are allowed.

2. I was moving at a decent pace.

3. I made fucking eye contact with you, before you even opened your goddamn mouth, so do not tell me that I am not paying attention.

Fuck off, entitled middle-aged white dudes is what I am saying.

19 Likes

Yeah, but you didn’t defer to him. I mean, obviously. /eyeroll

11 Likes

I got honked at last week by some kid. I was in a crosswalk. She had a stop sign. Like … If I wasn’t there, she’d have to stop. If I were ten people, she’d have to stop. If there was a different car coming, she’d have to stop. My presence did not, at all, change anything for her. The fuck is her problem?

13 Likes

I once had a guy yell at me, “cross at the intersection, bitch!”

I was crossing at an intersection. It didn’t have stoplights, but it was most definitely an intersection.

15 Likes

I often have to cross away from the intersections, because of the turn signals. My neurologist wants me to avoid turn signals. I heartily agree and want to know how.

6 Likes

Okay, foolish question: Is this supposed to be a thread for the things which hurt us, and fuck up our lives, or just anger us, or isn’t it?

4 Likes

I’ve always assumed so.

I don’t know what to suggest about the blinking lights. Do sunglasses help at all? AR goggles may eventually have an app for that (i.e., detecting flashes and turning them into constant lights), but I doubt it’s there yet. Or just turn reality into a moving average (which might be dangerous).

4 Likes

People annoyed at an A- instead of an A… and blaming me when they could have come to get extra help during the semester…

13 Likes

I loved any A- I scored. It meant I slacked the perfect amount.

13 Likes

It depends. I got a 78 in Drama, for example, and the only plausible reason seemed to be that the theatre review I wrote mentioned one actor didn’t do a very good job – and he turned out to be one of the prof’s pets (not to mention she directed the play, which I still think is a conflict of interest).

In a history class, granted, that should be much less of an issue.

5 Likes

Tell them I said to take that stick out of their ass… but then I consider my 2.6 GPA pretty fucking awesome for the fuck all amount of work I put into it. I was always thrilled with an A-.

7 Likes

I try to structure my class so that if people just do the work and make an effort, they are going to pass the class. I also tend to be flexible about people turning in work.

8 Likes

Someone just cited siri… I’m not even kidding here. Dude literally asked siri what “oppression” means and then used it as the opening of his essay.

ouran-HS-host-club-crying-laugh-twins

Spoilered animated gif!

13 Likes

Ye gods. My sympathies.

7 Likes

How was this discovered? I don’t see the professor asking Siri what oppression means, just to make sure. Or is this a thing that active professors know about?

2 Likes

Can anyone clarify?

I’ve been asked not to discuss sensory assault on this thread, and I’m really not sure what’s going on, or whether I’m supposed to create another thread for everything that grinds my gears, or for just some of the things.

5 Likes