Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

What has lead to this state? I personally think its do to the underfunding of our school’s, but its not cut in dry.

16 Likes

Fucking LinkedIn. As a Rolodex of former colleagues, it’s pretty good. And of course it’s a good way to contact/be discovered by recruiters.

Everything else is fucking annoying.

I just got a notice from them: “You are missing a trending skill: Release Management. Add to resume.” Well everywhere I’ve worked doesn’t let BSAs do the release management, so it’s not a skill I have, eh?

That message is typical of LI’s tone, too. All these imperative tenses: add to network, import contacts, allow LI to… Like what the hell? Every fucking notification is some invented reason to make me access the app so they can boss me around.

I’d love to quit, but as things are that’ll have to wait until I retire. Fuck.

11 Likes

I just had a request from a former co-worker who had retired from the company 5 years ago.

I mean…

1. Why are you still on Linkedin. You’re retired.

2. While, yes, we were both reported to the same manager for a time, we rarely worked together and while polite, I don’t think I ever thought much of your skillset and everyone knew you were counting down days to retirement. (He had landed in his IT Support role after having been a EE and one of many downsizings left him in that role when the music stopped)

3. I accepted the request out of politeness, but really, why?

7 Likes

I think it’s LinkedIn doing a Facebook-ish kind of thing. When I tried to be active on LI, it would send me requests all the time. I would check in with those people, who I knew outside of LI’s little microcosm, and they’d say no, they did not send a request. For a couple of years, it was constantly sending me requests from my own father.

3 Likes

I have two family members who didn’t join LI until after they retired.

Bonus: one of them listed himself as a “professional” without stipulating what he was professional in. He has three degrees, but in the thirty years I’ve known him had mostly done menial jobs (janitor, delivery truck driver). There’s nothing wrong with having those jobs – my dad was going to apply to be a school janitor right before he died, and we were excited because it was a union job – but one of the reasons this relative gets these jobs is because he’s constantly getting sacked. And the main reason he’s constantly getting sacked is because he thinks he’s too good to do the work, so then he only does a little and thinks he’s pulling the wool over his boss’ eyes, but of course eventually they notice and then he gets his notice.

5 Likes

That greats on the ear and I loath it.

9 Likes

Also, I found this one funny:

Mute%20moot

17 Likes

I did’nt mean to upset you with my comment, that I posted. I will post less comments in the future.

11 Likes

You’re going to post fewer comments? And just when you’ve peaked my interest!

8 Likes

I love crab.

Found out it causes a week of gastric distress. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Are you waiting with baited breath?

8 Likes

Literally!

7 Likes

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Regional Dialects, ah mean, ah mean, Diahlex

9 posts were split to a new topic: Regional Dialects, ah mean, ah mean, Diahlex

6 Likes

So I found myself needing to mail a package. I had one of those flat-rate boxes at the house from USPS and figured, “Hey. I’ll just go to USPS and buy the postage, print it out and just drop it off.”

Get to the website, and I need to create an account or log in.

I didn’t remember ever having an account, so I’ll set one up.

Username. email. password. address. Create…

Hey! You already have an account

Okay, click on “Forgot Username” … and they can’t send you your username, it just makes you create another account.

Tried a few Usernames that it might have been, but no ggod.

Create a new account and when I get to email I do the old “Add a plus and a descriptor”, so Email+USPS@domain.com and I’m good.

Okay. We have an account now. We go to buy the postage and it errors out with EMAIL now flagged in red. So I remove the +USPS and it goes through.

Meh.

10 Likes

Never talk to sea lions

sea lions

10 Likes

“Ooh, why not spend a few minutes browsing the Wondermark site?” I thought to myself, and look! The most recent comic is about a related topic!

15 Likes

I finally get approval for more headcount.

The position is similar to my other reports, but I am looking for some specific skill sets I do not currently have

So I write up my req. I put all the bits that are important that they have and the parts that are Nice to have. And then expect them to put on the usual boilerplate bullshit.

I finally (40+ days after submitting the req) get an email asking me to approve the position.

I think they just randomly tossed skill requirements together. They have a couple of my Nice to haves, completely missing a required skill and added some stuff I don’t care about it.

So now on top of all the other stuff Monday has presented me with, I get to ride into battle against HR.

Joy.

14 Likes

Our previous HR didn’t put the actual job requirements in the job advert but just the generic role description. When I questioned them on this (because we were going through yet another reorganization and I was applying internally) they said “we don’t put the job description in because then too many people would match against it”.

we outsourced recruiting shortly after, which was surprising as we’re usually very bad at spotting that level of incompetence.

8 Likes