Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

There actually are electric leaf blowers but apparently they aren’t much quieter, are less powerful, and don’t run as long. I just wish people would use a fucking broom.

9 Likes

I wish my home state was a recreational weed state. I’d bust out right in front of the fam!

Okay, maybe the front lawn, since it is technically their house.

8 Likes

Journal editor one: Looks good, submit!
Journal editor two: This is completely unsuitable.

In case anyone wonders why academics are the way we are.

15 Likes

itcrowd-up-arse

14 Likes

The faucet in question has some significant bends in it. Even doing it non-sideways would be doing it sideways.

OTOH I can imagine there were some 1960’s gastroenterologists who would have approved of the idea.

9 Likes

What grinds my gears:

I work as a programmer. I’m in a cubicle, so, to shut out the ambient noise, I listen to music.

People come into my cubicle, knock on the partition to let me know they’re there, and then immediately start talking, before I’ve even acknowledged their presence, much less am able to hear them with the music still playing.

The polite sequence of events is:
Knock.
Wait for the person to look at you.
Greeting.
Greeting is returned.
Optional pleasantries.
Then, once the line of communication is open and established, then you can start telling me things or asking me questions, because my brain will have switched to conversation mode.

If you come into my cubicle and just start talking to me, without even giving me the time to take the earbuds out of my ears, I am going to miss the first thing you say, and I’m going to be in entirely the wrong mindset to process the rest of it properly.

15 Likes

Syn
Syn Ack
Ack

It’s only common courtesy

9 Likes

Yeah, my life would be a lot more pleasant if it had just a bit more Syn in it.

12 Likes

Trying to get my Body Mass Index below 25 at least once before the summer is over …

10 Likes

Fucking A. Or how about when someone is clearly in the middle of something maybe consider email or IM instead. Don’t be a selfish asshole and just come over and interrupt.

This shit happens to me all the goddamn time. I have my headphones on, I’m deep in thought, I’m coding away, and I’m in the fucking zone. Then some chucklehead comes by and gets in my face and poof. It’s all over. Their 2 minute interruption will cost me an hour or so trying to get back into the groove. So, great, they got their help but now I’m the one suffering.

It’s just selfish - these people just assume what they need is so important that they can come and ruin my flow as a result. Well, it’s not. It can wait.

10 Likes

Additionally, I imagine this is what social media is like for women, but with the added bonus of dick pics.

12 Likes

My rant reminds me of this great talk:

4 Likes

Feeling a little schadenfruede over a dance party down the street, endemic to Tijuana, and representative of the noise pollution and lack of adequate zoning present.
They must be having an electricity flow problem or something, because the music keeps being interrupted by a hiccup every 2 or 3 seconds, and making it impossible to keep a steady 8/4 beat.
I can’t imagine trying to dance to that.

ETA: It’s now 5 am. They either fixed the problem or replaced the DJ a while back, but now it’s just some drunk woman hollering into the mic along with the lyrics. Ugh.

12 Likes

One of the nice things about working remotely is not having people randomly looming over you to interrupt you. One of the not so nice things is that you end up with four+ different simultaneous discussions on Slack where each person is waiting for answers to their question while you’re trying to juggle between all of them and whatever you were actually trying to do.

Still, I prefer remote work. It gets more done in spite of that, somehow.

10 Likes

My office generally lets out early before holiday weekends, typically I’m right there with them, but Friday i was in the Zone™

I made sure my people were out and then kept working until past my normal time as I was Getting Things Done. The mail guy comes by with a package at one point and mentions we were the last two people there.

Amazing what lack of interuption can do for productivity

15 Likes

This is why I love working in December. Most people take the month off but I stay and work because nobody is around and I can actually get stuff done with minimal interruption.

8 Likes

When you have to give almost an entire class a c for not following instructions, but you know that you said it, because at least 2 people followed instructions. Also, having to deal with the inevitable claims that “it’s not fair” even though their lowest grade will be dropped and you still feel guilty anyways…

But just listen and do the work! How hard is it?

harry-potter-hermionecrying

18 Likes

Verbal-only instructions? I probably would have screwed that up. I spent most of university writing down nearly everything the prof said verbatim, because I’m so much more of a reader than a listener. Even prof’s jokes and asides – I’d write them in the margins, just to keep my pen moving. I’ve had classmates ask what the hell I was writing.

10 Likes

It’s not on my syllabus, true enough (the specific instructions to write notes on their hard copies), but that fact that a few people did indicates to me that I said it in class, at the very least.

Sounds like you’d have done exactly what I wanted, which was take notes on the hard copy of the response! You get the full 5 points! :wink:

11 Likes

I just got my first request to turn in the weekly homework late. I open the homeworks Friday and close them the following Friday. There’s a whole week to do them, so I don’t allow make ups unless prior clearance is given, or there’s an emergency that I might ask for documentation for. ‘I went to a sports competition, and the four hours between when I got home and when it was due wasn’t enough time’ is not an emergency.

10 Likes