Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

I understand, I used to use Google Wallet as my backup until they canceled their debit cards. (Got my money out in time.) Now I use Simple for that. There’s always a bit of worry that I might lose access to that money, but then again, the reason I have it is in case I lose access to my bank account (whenever my card gets canceled because it was skimmed/leaked/etc.) As long as I don’t lose both at once…

With the systems that I’ve used, you can still get to stuff via web browser if the app doesn’t work. It’s relatively crappy since they totally focus on the app, but it’s a way to get access. I don’t know if wechat has something like that though. If it doesn’t, that really sucks.

3 Likes

There is a computer version of WeChat, but it won’t work unless activated with your cell phone app. You have to have a working WeChat cellphone app to use the computer version. (Grumble.)

I imagine what’s behind all this rigamarole is the Chinese government. To use WeChat, you have to have a cell phone, and the government “knows” who all local SIM cards belong to. (Of course, the government thinks my phone belongs to a female Chinese college student. Before using WeChat wallet, I had to physically go to a store to buy more minutes, and give her name as mine. I wonder if that gave them a giggle.)

I’m considering getting a cheap Android tablet to handle the situation. I’d rather get a new phone from the States.

7 Likes

Another Friday, another social engagement. Sadly, today, at my place.

I’ve managed to put the kibosh on some excessive things (No, we don’t need to move all the patio furniture to the front yard so we can be there and the dog get the back yard. No you don’t need to buy $100 of exotic ingredients for a dish that may not turn out.)

AND at least some other folks came over early to help straighten up the place.

BUT…

I’m still pregaming this. Should have picked up some mixers, but I can do fine with Tanqueray neat.

I think next Weekend is free. It had better be.

8 Likes

11.2 oz bottles of beer.

7 Likes

Oh, that’s not right.

I’ve noticed a lot of that sort of thing in recent years.

4 Likes

Mansplaining assholes…

7 Likes

Well, actually, they’re where poop comes out of. Happy to have helped! :+1:

…Sorry, couldn’t resist :smile:

8 Likes

elephant-boop

But seriously, that thread at the other place is a real shit show… so to speak!

9 Likes

merry-go-round

Just for the pleasure of those who have permanently left the Other Place.

11 Likes

A Nazi-go-round ?

8 Likes

What’s going on? I never even visit - too hard to find one for multiple comment boards.

6 Likes

What’s wrong with the Euro-standard 330 mL bottles?

The only reason they’re labelled “11.2 oz” is because your country uses archaic systems of measurement.

6 Likes

The endless gun debate, mansplaining, fascist and ultra-conservative voices shouting down more educated and logical points of view. You know, a typical day.

10 Likes

It’s been a while. I got sick of getting banned for objecting to getting migraines.

6 Likes

I don’t care what units they are using.
If they’re charging me the same money, I want my additional 24 ml.

7 Likes

Ah, I assumed it was a manufacturer’s common trick of slowly reducing the amount of product one gets for the same price.

6 Likes

Ah. If it’s an import, then, in my opinion, you’re misdirecting your gear-grinding from the merchant (who is trying to make a buck) to the bottler (who is simply trying to not need two different sizes of bottle).

If it’s domestic, then yeah, 12oz is the standard North American size, and I can see the bottler being the one at fault.

4 Likes

Didn’t 350ml used to be the standard at some point? I know cans ballooned up to 330ml from 250ml, but bottles used to be 350 (of, say, Snapple).

6 Likes

My conspiracy theory says that’s why we are seeing all these other shaped cans (e.g. - redbull, new diet Coke flavors, Monster, the stubby Coke products) so they can quietly redefine the cans in the 12 pack down a few ml and the metric illiterate will never know.)

But then, the largest population of Metric illeterates orders soft drink in quart sized and larger containers… So …

6 Likes

Holy hell. Fucking people.

8 Likes