Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

@kxkvi
@nimelennar

I feel like that old man in Nineteen Eighty-Four who couldn’t get a pint!

Charge me more, fine, but I want my additional 5% of beverage!

6 Likes

Could always try those Four Loco drinks or their knockoffs - 23.5 - 24 oz.

3 Likes

I guess you want easily-coded numerical values, but maybe you could make your question clearer and/or your text field narrower, and maybe you could not insult users by asking us to do what we’ve quite likely just done. Click. Click. Click. Click. Click.

5 Likes

Related to the new account creation password where they don’t tell you the password requirements until after the password you choose doesn’t work.

9 Likes

Or the old one where they don’t tell you they truncate the password or they don’t tell you they get errors with certain characters in the password.

5 Likes

Or where your work has implemented Single Sign On which works great except all of the sudden your wireless stops working due to an undocumented feature of the access points that wouldn’t accept passwords that started with a number.

5 Likes

When someone describes part of my ptsd as “hilariously funny.”

11 Likes

People who make changes to production infrastructure ahead of the scheduled release assuming (but not checking) that the infrastructure being changed won’t be referenced elsewhere during the interim.

I get why they made the assumption that they did, but still. You leave the old stuff in place until you’re sure that everything is pointing to the new stuff. Because sometimes “not writing to” does not mean “not interacting with.” Because it’s easier, and less invasive, to just comment out the “write to” code, leaving the “open” and “close” code in place, until you resume writing messages.

The new stuff appearing a month early, ready for use but not being referenced, is fine. Just don’t scrap the old stuff until the actual release rolls around.

12 Likes

Ugh, have to teach a terribly banal song today. My mind just rebels at learning the tune. I finally tricked myself into doing it, by replacing the lyrics with da, da, da… (Doesn’t help that the bloody thing is pitched out of my comfortable range.)

10 Likes

You have to tell us what the song is.

4 Likes

Brett Kavanaugh. 'Nuff said.

Oh wait. And people who fucking think they know for certain what the outcome of ANYthing will be.

12 Likes

Awful romantic for fifth graders. (Fun fact: Having boy/girlfriends is greatly discouraged until college in China.)

10 Likes

I will (try to ) listen to that later. Right now I don’t want to interrupt Haydn’s 99th Symphony on BBC Radio 3. :notes::musical_note::notes:

8 Likes

Yes. That is an odd song for fifth graders. And, yes, a bit banal.

6 Likes

Hotel. WiFi.

Last day of convention, there was a misunderstanding on my part or I would have popped over to the convention center for a couple hours and used the moderately better WiFi there.

But as it is, I’m stuck with a connection that keeps dropping. I tethered for a while but that was slow and using my data.

So I’ll just suck it up and go into work tomorrow

6 Likes

Hotel WiFi is bad because what choice do you have?

5 Likes

Ordered a RAM upgrade for my old iMac today from Amazon… decided to try Timetec, since it seemed like it could be a good, cheap option. The chips that arrived were so defective, the computer acted as if there wasn’t any RAM installed at all.

12 Likes

This may not be relevant to your situation but when I built my current PC, it acted like that at first, even though I had specifically checked for RAM that was listed as compatible with the motherboard. Turns out it was, but to get to that point I had to first put in other RAM long enough to run a BIOS update on the motherboard, then swap back in the new chips, after which the new RAM worked fine.

8 Likes

Unfortunately, this Mac is not going to get any more BIOS updates. Time to return it. I ought to stick with Corsair…

5 Likes

I know that feeling. When you’re trying to eek out a little more life from an old system, the last thing you want is to spend more on it than you have to

My desktop just died (powersupply most likely, but I haven’t taken time to diagnose) and the laptop I dug out to use is a little sluggish, but a reputable brand of RAM is more than I can spend on it in good conscience.

6 Likes