Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

Everything at work seems to be breaking at the same time.

Okay, not everything, but enough Critical Issues are happening that I can’t focus on any one long enough to get anywhere.

Primary Issue 1 - Best person is on vacation and can’t be reached
Primary Issue 2 - Lots of people involved, still don’t know root cause, and honestly the best person for triaging it is out of the loop
Primary Issue 3 - Well, that guy left last week.

On top of a lot of minor annoyances that are becoming more bothersome as I’m down two people and don’t have time to mind the little things.

Come on, PowerBall.

11 Likes

If it disables safety tools, please don’t call it “safe mode,” someone could get hurt. And please do warn that it disables safety tools.

3 Likes

Laundry.

I had a whole rant typed up. A veritable Rage against the Washing Machine. But, it just sounded bitchy.

But I’m still sick and tired of Laundry. And the people who do it halfway and the people who don’t do it all. And the people who can’t put it away. And the people who end up throwing clean laundry back on the dirty laundry because it was faster/easier/more convenient then actually hanging it back up.

Fuck Laundry.

13 Likes

It’s 2018 and we were promised flying cars and shit and all I really want is automated laundry that fucking works. Wash/dry/fold/put away by robots. THAT would be some progress.

12 Likes

The asshole who threw his dog’s poop in our empty garbage can, sitting on the street shortly after the garbage folks came. In a plastic bag, but still . . .

9 Likes

I just discovered that moths have eaten two non-reparable holes in a designer tunic I paid $350 for and really liked.

I bought it to wear to a family wedding over a skirt. Since then, it had been making regular appearances over dress pants at work. It was my “I’m feeling grumpy so I’m going to wear this item of clothing which feels like a PJ top but is actually more dressy than I usually wear” top.

FUCK stoopid cloth-eating insects. And I’ve been told that unless I get rid of every scrap of clothing, every bit of upholstery, every carpet, every towel, there’s no real getting rid of them.

13 Likes

And now I just got some household chores done, and was settling down to do homework for an hour as a reward (yes reward, I really like this course!) when I accidentally knocked over a full glass of water onto the floor. Fortunately the glass didn’t break, but I just finished mopping up as much of the water a I could.

It’s soaked into a corner of the carpet. And it missed the power bar by centimetres.

I am having a night full of stupid things going wrong. Wah.

11 Likes

Days like that I normally end early.

“Clearly nothing’s going to go right for the remainder of today, so let it be tomorrow already. Zzzzzz.”

9 Likes

You could try washing in warm and/or hot water, separating the tunic from other clothes between washes, and puting the tunic in good sunlight for a few weeks.

2 Likes

That is very good advice. I have been working on it, but am not quite there yet. Just a few more things to do before bed (must get done or else tomorrow will suck – for instance, I just finished making breakfast and lunch to bring to work tomorrow, as food proms are bloody awful around the office).

5 Likes

After reading that comment I now cannot help but picture hot dogs in tuxedos and tacos in prom dresses dancing to a sub-par live band.

10 Likes

Bloody autocorrect. Should have been “options”.

At least it was funny!

7 Likes

I’m glad I could make you laugh a little.

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve been a volunteer officer for an organization for a long time. We teach scientists to code for research purposes. I generally feel like my labor is rewarded, since I maintain some open source teaching materials that I use quite a bit. But I also feel substantially disrespected by the organization. Friday, I put out a call on twitter for community members to test drive some new matierals. They didn’t retweet it. But they did retweet a bunch of “I think X organization is so great!” Tweets. It just grinds my gears because I feel like I’m trying to get the community more involved in support of our mission, and I’m getting zero support from the organization.

14 Likes

Hamilton Watches. Lousy watches, lousy customer service.

7 Likes

political campaigns that text you on your cell phone.

8 Likes

One week on and… Laundry, still.

I don’t know where it is coming from at this point.

Hypothetically speaking, if you employ a young person to help around the house – Light cleaning, dishes, maybe wash some clothes – Make sure the young person KNOWS HOW TO DO LAUNDRY.

I’m not judging, but at 17 years of age, I knew how to do laundry. They could fold and put away fine. It was the separating, washing properly sized loads and remembering to swap them between washer and dryer that seemed to be the main issues.

Now, not knowing how to do laundry is one thing. Not teaching someone you know doesn’t know how to do laundry is another. Grrrrrr.

Maybe by next weekend?

12 Likes

Good gracious! They can’t even Google it?

P.S. My mom insisted I learn to do my own laundry at the age of 12.

10 Likes

To be fair, search engines don’t work as well as they used to.

8 Likes

My husband and I are traveling alone without the kids for the first time in 3.5 years. I keep hearing babies cry and thinking they’re mine.

19 Likes