Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

What grinds my gears? I’ve had that damn stong stuck in my noggin since you posted this.

Occasionally, I get a bit of relief as Ant Music replaces it for a few minutes.

I keep rewriting the refrain to:

Feed the Squirrels! Let them know it’s Christmas time.

But I can’t do the rest of the song as I am filled with naseau at the original lyrics.

8 Likes

There’s a world outside your window
And it’s a world of dread and fear
For the cats and cars are killers
And seeds their only cheer
And the Christmas bells that ring there
Are just clanging, startling din
Well tonight thank God you’re human and not like them

There’s so much snow in the park this Christmas time
They greatest gift they’ll get this year is life
Where nothing ever grows
Well, until spring, you know
But do they understand calendar dates at all?

Feed the squirrels etc.

10 Likes

Here’s something that I’ve been noticing more and more over the past few “holiday seasons.” I’m seeing the term “holiday” used to describe things that are actually devoted to Christmas.

I’m sure you’ve seen things like this, so-called “holiday” parties that are totally decorated with wreaths, christmas trees and candy canes. Even WQXR, an NPR station in New York, has two streaming “Holiday Channels” that play nothing but Christmas music.

My point is, if you’re going to use “holiday,” then mean it. “Holiday” should not be a polite cover for saying “Christmas.”

10 Likes

Why the FUCK, working as I do in an office of allegedly educated and intelligent people, am I having to put up an actual godsdamned sign saying not to wash food¹ straight down the sink?

Oh, yeah, because we’re now going to have to get a plumber, because they don’t seem to catch on that doing so clogs the drains.

¹Especially stuff like pancake mix, oatmeal, rice and loose tea leaves that will cement together and trap even more things.

14 Likes

Sounds like you could use a Dispos-All. But yeah, the same people would probably grind utensils up in it.

7 Likes

This happens where I work too, despite some of the most bluntly-worded signage I’ve ever seen from HR.

I’ve called people out for not refilling the water boiler, and the response is always, “I don’t know how”. The sad thing is, I think they’re telling the truth.

I’m just boggled someone who works in IT doesn’t have the problem-solving skills to figure out how to lift a lid, fill a pitcher with water, dump the water in the reservoir, and replace the lid.

And the food down the sink thing… people do that and they also leave dirty dishes in the sink (note the dishwasher is directly next to the sink). I think they’ve just been served all their life, by parents, spouses, and servants.

13 Likes

Oh, my sign was very bluntly worded.

That’s what happens when I make an extra effort to be early so everyone can enjoy the special breakfast (I have one of the waffle makers usually used in prep), stay late so everyone else can go home early, and you leave me stuck with clean-up.

We haven’t really had this problem for a while since I spent my own money on strainers for the drains, but I guess some genius decided to take them out for some reason.

It took over an hour after I did dishes for two standard kitchen sinks to drain. Neither had a plug in during the entire process.

I think the big thing for a lot of people is it’s not their kitchen, or their plumbing bill. So rather than take two seconds to scrape or wipe excess into the compost bin that is literally one step away, it’s cause inconvenience and rage for someone else.

10 Likes

Well of course they did. No doubt they were full of food gunk :slight_smile:. Far easier to toss them than clean them.

12 Likes

I’ve started putting my kitteh’s wet food on paper plates, which I dispose of quickly.

8 Likes

I used to train people on how to do support and customer service via chat, and these transcripts could generate an entire makeup course. The reps keep missing the key fact that the ride the customer is complaining about never happened, and their use of prefab script phrases is painful:

11 Likes

Went to a really nice wedding today.

Except:

• Really loud band, past being able to hear; it hurt
  • Three photographers getting in the way of being able to see the bride & groom
  • Tea drinkers being second class citizens
10 Likes

C’mon, everybody knows tea is Posh.

9 Likes

Those ads for “The Upside” that are infesting YouTube. I swaer they have spent as much on promotion as they did on making the movie. There are more of them than the ads for Jimmy Dean buckaroo beakfast patties.

Guys, I appeaciate the effort, but I’m not going to see your movie. OK? No one is. Just let it go.

5 Likes

Is Louis C. K. trying to pull a Dennis Miller?

6 Likes

Flippin’ the script?

6 Likes

Taking a red pill because his fee-fees got hurt when he was told that it’s wrong to abuse and exploit women and he had to face a minor consequence.

11 Likes
16 Likes

Like I always say, white liberalism is only a bump on the head away from white conservatism.

7 Likes

Guy’s got to make a living I guess. I hope he doesn’t end up encouraging the incels.

4 Likes

He’s practically been their poster boy these last ten-odd years.

5 Likes