Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

I would think that would torture him the most.

4 Likes

Heā€™s always been edgy, but I donā€™t think heā€™s been bitter about his fall from grace for that long.

3 Likes

Bitter about being a balding sexually frustrated middle aged man? Thatā€™s like his shtick.

5 Likes

Hey there, Acquaintance I Bumped Into Six Days Ago!

Know how you got in my personal space, coughed, and then complained about the sore throat youā€™d had, but you were Totally Fine Now?

Youā€™ll never guess what! Yeah. And the day before I need to go back to work, too!

See, this is why I basically put myself in quarantine every year. Because the world wonā€™t. The world will run itself ragged in the name of ā€œholidaysā€ and then tut when loads of people wind up sick.

Fingers crossed I will have the energy for an early-morning pharmacy run tomorrow. Itā€™s still early enough I might be able to fight off the infection, or at least impede its progress.

20 Likes

Aw. Sorry youā€™re unwell. Did you get sick even after getting a flu shot? Drink lots of fluids. And be sure to wear a mask if you go out.

10 Likes

Itā€™s really irritating to have to deal with last minute changes to my teaching scheduleā€¦ classes begin Mondayā€¦ And on top of that, the NEW schedule is 3 classes, one at 9:30, one at 2:15, and the last at 5:30ā€¦ but at least theyā€™re all on Tuesday/thursday. But sheeshā€¦

14 Likes

Apparently I enjoyed my winter vacation a little too much.

There are two people coughing their damn lungs out on my office floor, plus someone else closer to me who keeps tapping their teaspoon against their mug like Catherine Keener in Get Out.

I want to scream at all of them. Headphone time.

12 Likes

Oh Joy. Itā€™s time for reworking old configurations on an older OS and the only one who has some inkling of how to do it (and is still employed in a position that can be pressed into it)

Windows 7 Compact Embedded. Bleh.

And if it was just one or two units, I could get a trained monkey to change it manually.

But it is several hundred units over multiple dozens of sites.

Not like I had anything else to doā€¦

10 Likes

Apparently, they didnā€™t read my post last year, because I just had to clear a rather large pile of snow out of that gutter again. Because Iā€™ve already slipped and fallen once this year on the aforementioned ice rink at the base of my driveway, cutting my hand. Luckily, it wasnā€™t a deep cut, but the moral is donā€™t deposit your damned snow where it will block the gutter!

13 Likes

It could be worse.

itcrowd-operating-system-vista-die

14 Likes

Edit - This posted accidentally before it was finished.

Tacked on some holiday to the end of my work trip.

My partner surprises me with tickets on the Northern Explorer train trip from Auckland to Wellington.

We get down to the station andā€¦ They had over sold tickets for the seats they had available butā€¦

They had charted a bus!

10.5 hour Bus ride is not equal to a 10.5 hour train ride.

So they let us cancel, but Iā€™d been looking forward to it.

Now Iā€™m rescheduling everything and will make the best of it ā€¦but phooey

Oh well, @Glutnix wasnā€™t going to be available this weekend anyway.

9 Likes

Why does that grind your gears?

6 Likes

Inadvertently posted earlier. Fleshed out the gear grinding

5 Likes

I took a 9 hour train trip recently for work. I went the entire length of the train route, through two different crew changes, and felt that that was a long trip but not unbearably so.

I have also ridden the Greyhound from St. Louis to Chicago. About 6 hours. Will never do again. Easily prefer the 9 hour train ride to the 6 hour bus ride.

11 Likes

This is such small potatoes to complain aboutā€¦ but, Iā€™m finally setting up a Roku Express+, with WiFi via Calyx. I am very nearly an hour into the setup, and itā€™s still setting up. If software and channel updates take this long, Iā€™m thinking I probably wonā€™t have enough bandwidth to stream contentā€¦ but weā€™ll see.

Edit: Setup is done (I did go back to add some more channels.) Andā€¦ so far so good. Iā€™m watching a brief video from the PBS newshour, and only had a few seconds of buffering, twice. This just might work.

Second edit: Results are irregular. Tried to jump into a livestream movie-- lots of buffering, gave up. Took way too many attempts to connect the YouTube app to my account, and itā€™s having a fit about playing a four minute music video. Grrrr.

7 Likes

I decided to give eHarmony another shot.

It looks like Iā€™m going to run headlong into exactly the same issue as last time:

ā€œCompatibleā€ match #1:

ā€œCompatibleā€ match #2:

Unless I can browbeat its algorithm into realizing that I donā€™t want to date someone extremely religious, I think Iā€™m going to have to give the site a pass. Again.

14 Likes

Isnā€™t it a religious-based site though? I suspect youā€™d be better off trying just about anywhere else!

9 Likes

Iā€¦ donā€™t think so?

Itā€™s not Christian Mingle.

They certainly donā€™t advertise as ā€œreligious,ā€ they advertise as ā€œ29 dimensions of compatibility.ā€

7 Likes

Oh, ok, I thought it was a Christian-based thing. Good luck!

6 Likes

I tried eHarmony about 10 years ago. I gave them up because I always got the feeling that each date I went on was soemthing arranged by the company to keep me hooked.

6 Likes