Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

@mindysan33
wow, its fucking nothing. what a surprise.
it’ll go below freezing tonight but there’s barely any water on the ground now and it’s just after noon.
another weather FUD news cycle.

the wind is blowing east, so the precipitation has already passed over us.

7 Likes

I don’t know if it’s past, but I have an awful barometric headache.

8 Likes

I get those too-- my sympathies.

Got a call yesterday cancelling my dad’s doctor appointment on Thursday. I’m glad, since I wasn’t looking forward to trying to get him out of the house in one degree weather with massive wind chills.

Off to go finish clearing off my car, since I need to get to the grocery store to stock up for the next few days. Broke off a wiper fluid nozzle trying to get snow off the hood. :rage:

8 Likes

FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘tesseract’: ‘tesseract’

What do you mean? It’s in usr/local/bin. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling both tesseract and ocrmypdf which calls tesseract… At least I am getting an error message this time.

I am trying to use Automator so I don’t have to re-type all the variables when I run ocrmypdf --force-ocr --output-type pdfa-1 input.pdf output.pdf

I can get it to work when I re-type all the variables in the command line.

2 Likes

They closed campus and everything… I guess we don’t want to get caught having people sit on I-75 for 10 hours again, especially right before the superbowl…

14 Likes

Have tried " ls infinity stone "?

4 Likes

they closed campus

your students are partying their asses off right now.

9 Likes

Where my mother lives, they have windchills of -50.

8 Likes

January, 1989.

Bitter cold and snow grips the Rocky Mountains. A cold wind blows from the north. Some say 80 below with wind chill . The weekend is coming to a close.

“Surely classes will be cancelled?”

“They haven’t made a decision yet is all I’ve heard.”

Then, as if on schedule (the schedule of the package store closing), the announcement goes out that school is cancelled.

As if people hasn’t stocked up in anticipation.

10 Likes

So I visit a forum for discussing browsers.

I ask about some of my accessibility needs. The first reply is that I need to see a psychiatrist and stop “wasting time.” I don’t want to downplay mental health issues, but if I did have access to mental health care, it wouldn’t help with my neurological issues.

9 Likes

Maybe some of them (were), but far too many of them are working their way through school, so maybe not!

8 Likes

Please,

don’t ask people to sign a petition and then reject our signatures if we can’t provide a valid mobile phone number. “Mobile phone is invalid,” of course it’s invalid, how to I provide a valid “none” in an invalid field?

Also, don’t fucking punch us with flashing, whether it’s to show the invalid field or to show an extra-painful “hey, now that you’ve helped us, we’ve hurt you, how about you donate to us?” modal.

6 Likes

I don’t know how I spilled breastmilk into my three pound thing of CostCo tomatoes, but here we are.

12 Likes

Shopping for pants.

The ingredients labels are hidden so I have to take them off their hangers and search around…

The ingredients invariably include either spandex, which I’m highly allergic to, polyester, or rayon.

7 Likes

This kind of thing is why I hate shopping for clothes. I have so many requirements – for me to be comfortable, my shirts (for example) must be 100% cotton, no wrinkle-free treatment, button-down, long sleeve, one non-flap/non-buttoning breast pocket, size S, not tapered at the waist, and at least some sense of design.

6 Likes

And this is why I’m wondering if I could learn to use my sewing machine for more than pillow covers and basic mending. Most of the stuff I like is jersey, but because it’s also “designer” it costs a lot.

8 Likes

You can totally do this.
It’s just following a pattern. Watch some videos, start small.

8 Likes

i’ll second this. you can do it. i initially picked up a sewing machine to learn to hem my own pants, but since then i have used Youtube videos to learn other things. i have also bought simple things i like in thrift stores (coats, vests, etc.) taken them apart, and used them as patterns to learn how to make stuff in fabrics i like.

11 Likes

For me, it’s 100% cotton, durable fabric but not ugly, button down long sleeve, no collar buttons, 16" neck and 38" sleeve and tapered at the waist. The last part is especially important, because most men’s clothing companies apparently assume any guy over 6’2" is built like an offensive tackle :confused:

Oh, and it can’t be a plain white button down, nor can it be whatever ugly-ass shirt is left over.

7 Likes

How many exxes is that at the Walmart?

6 Likes