Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

Yeah, I imagine that makes it a lot better!

Btw welcome to elsewhere!

7 Likes

My grandmother used to steam kale 'til it was well wilted, grind it through her meat grinder to a puree, and serve it withā€¦ I canā€™t remember that part, because for me the fun part was getting to work the grinder, but it was probably pork chops.

(I find it very amusing that all the hopelessly uncool food I ate as a kid is now cool. I wish my grandparents could see it ā€“ theyā€™d find it hilarious.)

6 Likes

Yup, at a local ā€œnaturalā€ restaurant. Their food is really good, but I avoid things like the ā€œkale-cucumberā€ drink. :nauseated_face:

The only sweetener on the table are ā€œSugar in the Rawā€ and Stevia. They used to have Splenda on the table, but that disappeared. I asked about it. Turned out they still had it the kitchen for customers who wanted it, but the chef decided to remove it from the tables because he wanted to ā€œpresent a natural experience.ā€ WTF? Iā€™ll bring my own next time, especially since I like Equal better. The food is worth the trouble.

5 Likes

Stupid fucking printer tell me that it doesnā€™t have a cartridge when it MOST CERTAINLY DOESā€¦ !!!

peep-show-hans-bullshit

Canā€™t print my fucking documents I need to for classes next week because the fucking printer wonā€™t FUCKING PRINT THEM FOR NO FUCKING REASON WHATSOEVER!!!

You tell that printer SuperHans!!!

18 Likes

Yay! Welcome to Elsewhere!

cat%20kitties%20yay%20woo%20ani

13 Likes

You probably donā€™t feel like buying a new printer. However, next time you do, consider a cheap laser. It wonā€™t have colour, but it will be more reliable than most inkjets, especially if you donā€™t print every day.

Source: I took a course on electronic printing once for work, and asked one of the instructors about it, since printer hardware was her specialty.

12 Likes

It may think you have a third party cartridge, even if you donā€™t. I had that happen, and the printer AND the scanner refused to work! I had to buy a cleaning kit and a particular type of cleaner to get it to work again ā€“ after hours of cleaning and waiting for things to dry.

I hadnā€™t used it in a long time ā€“ I think you have to print something at least every week to keep it working.

ETA: which you probably do. Maybe it decided its programmed ā€œlifespanā€ in had come to an end!

5 Likes

Splenda is mostly dextrose. Brown sugar is mostly fructose. People have varying tolerance for fructose.

4 Likes

Dextroseā€¦ and chlorine, which is probably the part which makes it give some people reactions. Itā€™s six chlorine molecules to one dextrose molecule, but since sugar molecules are a lot bigger than chlorine molecules Iā€™m not sure how that works out proportionally.

5 Likes

The chlorine is what bothers me about Splenda; it just feels toxic somehow, even if itā€™s generally considered safe. Equal is just two amino acids iirc, which I would expect just go into the general pool.

5 Likes

Iā€™m prejudiced because it gives me really nasty histamine reactions, but somehow I think itā€™s rather cynical to deliberately create a chemical compound so that it can be consumed and not digested.

10 Likes

Color lasers arenā€™t bad either. A little more expensive, but still way cheaper than inkjet + ink. Iā€™ve had mine for about 3 years and just now replacing the starter color toner cartridges; according to the printer thatā€™s after just over 1000 pages, 764 of which were printed in color mode. The standard cartridges are supposed to get 1400 pages. (Although estimated page-yields are at 5% coverage, approximately equivalent to a page of text, not full-page full-color images. Iā€™ve printed relatively few of those.)

The one drawback is that the color images arenā€™t art-grade. You can see the halftoning and sometimes theyā€™re a bit faded/washed-out looking.

My main problem with inkjets - since I donā€™t print every day, it seemed like every time I wanted to print something I had to go buy more ink first. At $75+ for ink even if just for a couple pages, those were very expensive print jobs.

9 Likes

Color lasers are SO much less problematic.

6 Likes

And @kxkvi Itā€™s an old school HP 4+ which we got on ebay a while back (10 years) and has lasted forever. I think itā€™s just gone at this point. We did just get a second printer, a color laserjet, but since most of my printing is papers, weā€™re going to pick up a new B&W laserjet for most of my printing.

8 Likes

Oh, it was a laser printer to begin with? Oops. Printer saying ā€œbad cartridgeā€ when it isnā€™t just made me automatically think of ink jets ā€“ since it happened to me.

Note to self: Donā€™t assume.

6 Likes

Sorry, Iā€™m the one who started that.

This leads me to wonder when printers are going to DRM themselves out of existence. When you start punishing consumers even though they followed all your stoopid rules, youā€™re in trouble. Apple nearly did it to themselves with iTunes before they got wise.

8 Likes

uBlock Origin malfunctioning againā€¦

Iā€™d like to be able to defeat this crap by setting up a whitelist, opening approved websites with their layouts, and all the rest in ā€œno style.ā€

Iā€™ve asked how to do this but everyone either tells me to switch to Lynx so I get terminal-Window eye-strain migraines instead, or to install a half-dozen add-ons that will absolutely solve the problem (spoiler: Iā€™ve been using them for years, they only scratch the surface), or to stop using the Web.

It shouldnā€™t be too hard to use an existing settingā€¦?

P.S. One new suggestion: Malwarebytes browser extension. Which fires its own migraine-inducing modals. A pox on modals!

3 Likes

The Pi-Hole lets you add to its whitelist (which starts off empty). It also has a blacklist for you to customise on top of its advertising blacklists:

3 Likes

And if you buy them from Amazon, they might also automatically order ink, whether you want to do so or notā€¦

But yeahā€¦ I agree.

6 Likes

When I went to Amazon to look up the Henrietta Lacks book, I noticed a lot of one star reviews, but for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (or itā€™s sequel, possibly)! WTF? I sent Amazon a notice that theyā€™d mixed up reviews.

I also told them their counterfeiting problem is so bad that Iā€™ve switched to CVS for most of my health-related stuff.

10 Likes