Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

Interesting – we kept the landline, but dumped the cable TV, since we never use it. I like to buy and watch DVDs so I can actually own the media; I do tend to rewatch some shows. We sometimes stream from Amazon Prime too. I haven’t compared costs, but I’ll wager we spend more that way. But I will do anything to NOT watch commercials, so the extra cost is worth it.

5 Likes

When I moved here and signed up for Comcast, the “Triple Play” (TV internet landline) was the cheapest option. TV/Internet was more expensive and Internet by itself was not offered over some rediculously low rate.

Now, I can’t escape the package. My options are to stay with it or drop Comcast all together. They will not let me drop to a “lesser package” without it costing the same or more than I am paying now.

And my “other” high-speed internet option is ATT with a maximum of 20 mb down. (Currently average 60 mb)

Bleh!

5 Likes

Something’s going beep in our house, faint, short blip, every 15 minutes maybe. Smoke & CO alarms seem ok, as does the sump pump leak detector. Leak detector under water heater is dead, so took batteries out (one of which itself leaked) and ordered a new one. Thought that had fixed it, but no; whatever it is is still beeping.

I need a phantom detector beep detector.

8 Likes

A few weeks back I was working on a project in my office and this faint beep…beep…beep… just at the edge of my hearing kept distracting me.

I checked the usual beeping suspects as did you but gave up and sat back down. I needed to look something up and noticed the beeping had stopped.

Shrugged it off and went back to my other work and about five minutes later beep…beep…beep

But this time I noticed the beeps we’re in sync with the pulsing LED on my computer when it is asleep.

So I turned off sleep mode.

9 Likes

Yes.

If you are putting an audible “check me” alarm on something, the interval should be no greater than thirty seconds.

If it’s several minutes, it’s impossible to nail down.

My suggestion would be to get a stopwatch, and nail down the exact interval. Then, about thirty seconds before it goes off, go to the place where it was loudest and try and pinpoint it.

I had a five-minute one, and it turned out to be a smoke detector, which was showing no other sign of having a low battery.

7 Likes

Good idea. Thanks! Something for the morrow.

6 Likes

Mysterious beeping somewhere in your house?

Well, you’re the one with an Outer Limits avatar. You have no one to blame but yourself.

Have you checked the fourth dimension?

9 Likes

Come on, how am I supposed to drive him insane if you just tell him where I stashed it?

8 Likes

I prefer to just sit back quietly while you control all I see and here.

6 Likes

That’s still a lot of footage.

5 Likes

I’ve done the math, and I actually spend more time mumbling to myself than talking out loud to other human beings.

On the plus side, I’m not yet so deaf that I have to shout to myself.

12 Likes

Just happened to be able to time the beep interval while at the computer. It was 15 minutes. Then I googled it, and the first thing that popped up was “dying FIOS battery backup.” The timing’s right; it’s been several years since we first got it. I’ll have to confirm it tomorrow. But I’ll let you know!

9 Likes

I have the ongoing migraine, and police are ringing up for donations again.

3 Likes

Found it! The FIOS landline battery backup has a red LED that indicates it needs replacing. Also explains the beeps.

And in checking things, I found that the old leak detector under the water heater no longer worked at all, so I got a new one.

Thank you @nimelennar!

9 Likes

Glad I could help!

5 Likes

I wish I’d paid attention to this thread. I’ve had to replace that battery twice in 9 years. The first time, the battery cost some ungodly amount, but the second time, it was much more reasonable ($18 at amazon). Don’t forget to recycle the old one. You can bring it to most hardware stores, but I brought my old one to Autozone, and they took it, no questions asked.

8 Likes

Thanks. I’m thinking of going over to Batteries+. I’ve been pretty happy with them. I’ve also got a remote that needs some disk batteries.
ETA They also take back old lead batteries.

3 Likes

I’m getting the run-around from a CPAP supplies distributor that is delaying my order. I suspect they don’t want to accept Medicare payment, which is probably less than they’d like. I called the local distributor, got referred to a large company, which is in the process of changing its name, and who referred me to a different local company. But I did finally get a letter saying that my order was “in process” (as it has been for over a month now). At the bottom of the letter it says:

“At [Branch Office] we take pride in the level of patient care we provide and look forward to meeting all your sleep therapy needs.”

Still no supplies. I am drifting in the center of the Doctor/Supplier/Insurance Triangle, where claims, calls, patients, and products disappear.

11 Likes

Can it be bought over the counter in Canada? I know American diabetics sometimes make road trips for insulin since it’s a lot cheaper here and they don’t need a scrip.

7 Likes

The doc had to write a prescription, but it could be I could use that at an on-line CPAP supplier (a friend does that). But it’s covered by Medicare B which I’m paying extra for, so I might as well take advantage of it.

Fortunately just this afternoon I got an email saying that the supplies have been shipped. I had to ask the doctor’s office for a second prescription to be sent out. We shall see!

7 Likes