Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

Low battery in a security system sensor, for example on a window?

ETA: see what happens when I finally get to threads after a week away from internet service?

7 Likes

Thanks – I found it!

I took the battery out and once I’ve got some time (and feel good enough), I’ll go replace it.

6 Likes

Google seems to have ditched phrases and operators. So if I search for:

(“chronic illness” OR “fibromyalgia” OR “chronic fatigue”) (“tendinosis” OR "tendonitis) -“disability benefits”

I get a bunch of results about disability benefits or disability allowance and even one helpfully noting missing: -"disability …

Gigablast isn’t working either.

Bing isn’t working either.

7 Likes

And yet some simple operator examples still work, so maybe this is less that they’re deprecated, and more that search engines increasingly ignore what you type anyway? Not that that’s an improvement. On the off chance it’s any help, though, I wanted to mention that your query at least seems to work a little better using -(“disability benefits”).

It’s amazing to me how these tools, standing at the very center of how people access the web and find the information we need, are almost undocumented save what looks like 3rd party guessing.

9 Likes

Some of them are documented.

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/35890?hl=en

3 Likes

Which never allowed anything but the most basic searches, and no longer works. “Advanced” my ass.

3 Likes

I didn’t write it. I just found the documentation for it.

4 Likes

it’s ant season again

them

11 Likes

Apparetly this is documented too.

I was referred to a Google Docs page covering the decision.

I now have an awful brain-splitting migraine from trying to read that page. I don’t know if it actually included any relevant info, or is just a way to punish people who report bugs.

With that warning in mind…

3 Likes

If you want to get (A B) OR (C D) you’ll have to do 2 separate searches and combine the results yourself, which is probably what you really want to do. Why doesn’t Google support this? Because we’ve found that most people get it wrong.

:roll_eyes: So because some people don’t understand basic logic, it’s better to invisibly break it for everyone? What kind of logic is that? :unamused:

6 Likes

Reverting Windows 10’s mouse behaviour to 98 win32 behaviour has resulted in an epic three minute boot process. I only wanted the mouse behaviour, not the whole darned 1999 experience.

Ayyy lmao

11 Likes

If you want to get (A B) OR (C D) you’ll have to do 2 separate searches and combine the results yourself, which is probably what you really want to do. Why doesn’t Google support this? Because we’ve found that most people get it wrong.

And Google harasses people with painful and buggy captchas when we run interative variations on a search. Seriously, advertising that we can’t do things one way, we should do them another way, and Google doesn’t support either does not help.

6 Likes

When my work computer (running windows) decides it needs to update and then decides it can’t, so it undoes them all and gives you a page saying it’s undoing the updates for about 30 minutes…

itcrowd-operating-system-vista-die

Fucking finally got a restarting message! WTF!

14 Likes

Nope… never mind, it’s back to saying that it’s undoing the changes…

itcrowd-mosstantrum

13 Likes

Ah, Windows Vista. Saved from being the worst version of Windows only by the fact that Windows Me existed.

10 Likes

And Windows Bob. Can’t forget that one.

7 Likes

Can we at least try?

7 Likes

when the pollen is so bad, it ends up in small drifts on your driveway.

12 Likes

I was scheduled and planned to do a deployment tonight but this time I’d be doing completely different stuff than I’d ever done before (server maintenance), working closely with someone else who would be doing the code deployment. Was so psyched for it. Turned out neither one of us had permissions to do what we needed to do.

The good thing was that the guy who was supposed to be able to relax and take it easy for a change while we did the stuff screenshared and talked through all that he was doing (including things that I wouldn’t have thought to ask about) so we’re more prepared for next time.

But I still feel bad - we failed at that venture despite having multiple meetings to prepare and documentation and checklists. Oh well, can’t win 'em all.

Next time we have no net (vacation for the guy who knows this stuff inside out) so I have to get it right. Hopefully we’ll have the permissions by then. :crossed_fingers:

9 Likes

Absolutely no place around here can deliver a burger at 8am. Doordash lists them all as closed. I know at least the fast-food places are open. Us night-shift people really miss out.

ETA: Found one place, but apparently can only order breakfast stuff before 10:30. I like breakfast stuff, but that’s not what I wanted and I’ll have to order two things to get a full meal.

10 Likes