Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

When trucks back their way around a block, firing extra-painful extra-stabby backup stabbers the whole way.

Suppose there is someone in that area? Who they can’t see because they’re driving backwards? Who can’t escape because they’re firing those gorram incapacitating safety-through-pain-qmd-incapacitation weapons! Whose last few minutes will have to be incredible pain, unable to crawl an inch through the pain?

Once backup cameras are ubiquitous on cars, they can start putting them on trucks, tractors, trailers, forklifts, etc… And, once that’s accomplished, they should be able to discontinue the backup klaxon, as it’ll no longer serve its intended purpose of letting the surrounding area know that someone with practically zero rear visibility is reversing blindly (because they won’t have reduced rear visibility, and won’t be reversing blindly).

5 Likes

I have to say, the backup camera in my Subaru is so good that I have stopped turning this way and that to use my eyes directly when backing up. I actually get a clearer and more complete field of vision by looking at the screen instead. Literally, I am MORE likely to see that a child just ran behind the car with the camera than with my own eyes. Amazing.

10 Likes

Ditto- our new Subaru has an excellent camera.
But I still twist my body around to do it the old fashioned way when I’m backing into our garage. And that’s the only time it so it that way- I like the camera for everything else.

12 Likes

Yep, should have fooled with that power of attorney when I was in the States.

Anyone have any experience with online notarization?

4 Likes

I have been told it is impolite to scream into the void.

Need to find a new coping mechanism.

9 Likes

How so? There’s nothing in the void to be impolite to; if there were, it wouldn’t be a void.

9 Likes

Huh. Did the void scream back into you?

10 Likes

My dad has always mocked me as being horrible at backing up cars (I am not that bad and I am not the reason we had to plant a heavy steel pole in front of the porch support). One day, I was helping him with something and using his truck with the backup camera that he refuses to use, and he said nothing, except that I “surprised him” and it was better than he could have done.

I informed him that it’s very easy when you have a set of guide lines that turn according to the angle of the wheel and you can actually see everything. It’s just like playing video games.

He still can’t figure it out.

12 Likes

The first time I backed up a car with a camera, it was weird. I kept going back and forth between turning and looking at the monitor, just to be sure. It’s a hard habit to break after 30 years of driving, but damn, they are really sweet once you trust them.

I have a definite feel for the size of my CRV, since I’ve been driving it for so long, but in a rental it’s fantastic that you don’t have to, just follow the guides!

12 Likes

Today I learned that aside from being an abomination kombucha will also explode if left in an overheated room.

Sometimes being a parent sucks; I’m going to be cleaning chia seeds out of my kid’s room for who knows how long.

16 Likes

Is that homemade kombucha or storebought?

If it’s storebought, it should be stored in the fridge. And you can look into getting the pasteurized version that’s no longer biologically active.

If it’s homemade, and it burst while carbonating… Them’s the (literal) breaks, unfortunately. When you’re yeast-carbonating beverages, you have to watch them closely, for exactly that reason.

6 Likes

Kombucha with chia seeds? Sounds like an organic grenade recipe. Hope it wasn’t a glass container it was fermenting in.

8 Likes

Trick is to stick the container in a sealed bucket so if it explodes it’s contained.

7 Likes

Harder to monitor if it’s out-of-sight, though.

The recipes I have suggest to put a portion of it into a plastic soda bottle. That way you can squeeze the bottle and judge what kind of pressure it’s under by how much it pushes back.

6 Likes

Yikes, that sucks. I don’t like kombucha myself, but I love chan (a non-fermented drink with chia seeds). Once the chia goo dries on something, it’s a pain in the ass to get off without soaking.

You have my sympathy on the mess. I imagine it doesn’t smell that great either.

10 Likes

That sounds like the ultimate mess. Good luck.

10 Likes

Store-bought and I didn’t realize the kid had left half a bottle of that noxious shit sitting in her room since the weekend.

It had been over 90 degrees everyday since Sunday until today.

It totally was; luckily it was inside a bag so most of the glass shrapnel was contained and no one was hurt.

Aye and not in the good way.

I had never been anywhere near the stuff before, and now I officially hate it.

Again, we lucked out; most of it was contained.

13 Likes

Uggh. Yeah, that’ll do it.

If you want to prohibit it entirely based on this incident, I can totally understand that… but remember that, if you can find pasteurized kombucha, it won’t do that. It’ll still go bad in the heat, but it won’t explode, as the scoby will be dead and it can’t ferment any further.

6 Likes

Kombucha with chia seeds: The Molotov Cocktails of the Whole Foods crowd

13 Likes