Technical help and resources

Can I get some help deciphering this eyeglass prescription? Or some pointers to reliable interpretation information outside of Wikipedia?

I figured out the pupillary distance, but some basic things about this escape me. Like which eye is which?

This is the data needed by the supplier:

Zenni input:
Right Eye - OD
SPH
CYL
Axis
Left Eye - OS
SPH
CYL
Axis
Prism Values
Right Eye - OD
Horizontal
Base Direction
InOut
Vertical
Base Direction
Up or Down?
Left Eye - OS
Horizontal
Base Direction
InOut
Vertical
Base Direction
Up or Down?

It’s a slightly expired prescription, but I’m doing the Zenni Optical thing for some short-term computer glasses until I can get a new prescription. It’s unlikely that my new prescription will be less complicated, so this is good practice.

4 Likes

The V2xxx are all heathcare codes

2021 HCPCS Code Lookup

But even looking them up just seems to give slightly more information than what it says off to the side.

4 Likes

Ah. The “prescription” I was looking at was just the billing codes.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I should retitle this thread, “How to find that piece of paper”.

I’m all good. Two pairs ordered.

5 Likes

It’s easier when you’ve got your glasses. :wink:

10 Likes

Does anyone here code python on a Mac? What do you use for an environment?

Not if I can avoid it, and I’ve forgotten. Some things require python 2, others python 3, Homebrew broke some of my scripts when it stopped supporting python 2…

brew list lists

py2cairo

pybind11

pypy

python@3.8

python@3.9

P.S.

2 Likes

pip3 is pretty important too.

I only use python to deal with the occasional AWS thing so I don’t really have anything special other than vim, pylint and pytest (so other people can verify my POS scripts did what they were supposed to do and if they don’t any more, that’s their problem).

3 Likes

I avoid Python as much as possible, but vscode is a pretty damn good dev environment for it. It’s free, well supported, powerful, and (relatively) lightweight. It does code completion, linting, debugging, etc.

Python in Visual Studio Code.

vscode is my go-to when a more fully featured environment like Xcode or Visual Studio is too heavy or unnecessary for the needs of the moment.

2 Likes

It’s been 5 years since I did. I just used Sublime Text and a local install of whatever python version was on the server at that time. It was a small project with a goal of no additional configuration or dependencies needed on the server.

If I were doing anything more significant, or anything more recently, I’d almost certainly do it differently. I don’t know exactly how though, other than having python and dependencies live in a docker container.

2 Likes