The Arrivals Lounge

There’s “Download All” on your profile page. I don’t know if those would be included. Or if they would include pictures.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure comments from the old regulars areas won’t be in the download.

3 Likes

Dayum.

I used to work part time at a yacht club at a private island. My view from my desk was the back side of this house.

Yes, the guest portion of this beach house was bigger than my actual home.

11 Likes

The nicest view I’ve ever had out a work window was of a parking lot.

Ah well, at least I had a window.

10 Likes

*literally laughing aloud

7 Likes

A search for “Wanderfound” and “office” should catch 'em all.

5 Likes

I thought I remembered it being said that they would. The context is gone, but even the old lounge posts can be brought back.

6 Likes

I have usually had a window, but with very little to see. Probably because I’ve never worked in a high rise. I’ve always worked in blocky nondescript office buildings with not much of a view at all.

6 Likes

Winner of the 2015 worst office view award at the Daily Mail (to which I will not link). I must admit, it’s worse than any I’ve had.

14 Likes

@tekna @Auld_Lang_Syne @wanderfound
Okay, so I did a data export, followed by some experimenting and found the following:

1. Yes, your own lounge posts are downloaded along with the rest.
  2. The main lounge thread is now labelled as :lock: The Inaccessible Topic Formerly Known as :ghost: The Lounge of Friendly Ghosts :ghost: so all your posts should have this as the first prefix.
  3. It doesn’t download your images embedded as blobs in the CSV BUT
  4. As it’s the raw markdown text you get, you get the image embed code. Which still works.

Which means that:

1. If you search the downloaded archive CSV file for the text string IMG, you will find the picture source paths, such as /uploads/default/original/3X/3/2/324300e4140ebd2ac0a80f4c6dcb1c5f8435bfbb.png (real example, from my archive)

2. Which means that if you stick https://bbs.boingboing.net in front of it in a web browser, you get something like: https://bbs.boingboing.net/uploads/default/original/3X/3/2/324300e4140ebd2ac0a80f4c6dcb1c5f8435bfbb.png
    Which works! Click it to try. (Also, try to guess what I was ranting about in that post from the image - it’s fun! :wink:)

3. This means that with your data export (opened in excel, or Google sheets) and a little bit of searching and editing, you can get both your old post text, and then download the images from your posts. (Huzzah! Also, phew! :slight_smile:)

16 Likes

Well, at least there’s an emergency exit to dodge out when the boss comes around to ask for overtime…

4 Likes

Nice work! Crackin’ good.

4 Likes

Thank you! Happy to be proven wrong.:smile: :thumbsup:

4 Likes

Thank you (both)! One thing I’ve learned is that actually experimenting is most often the quickest way to figure things out.
(Plus, y’know, I’m impatient.)

Honestly, it’s a wonder I still have all my limbs and any eyebrows at all. :wink:

10 Likes

Seems simple enough to pop the prefix onto all the IMG strings

5 Likes

Yep, how else ya gonna do it? Poke stuff and see what happens! It’s the scientific method.

That’s a good thing. :cold_sweat:

5 Likes

first image actual point. Second image just because.

6 Likes

[Waves] Found this wonderful place after receiving a sekrit communication via the other not-as-wonderful-as-it-was place and googling the pass phrase. At least, I assume this is the place; if it isn’t, then I was never here, you din’t see me, right?

33 Likes

[ waves back ]

:question:

11 Likes

Oh, where are my manners?

14 Likes