The Arrivals Lounge

welcome!

a little late, I know.

if you have any questions, our local regular moderator/daily admin, ChickieD is the most active board operator. we’re mostly self-moderated (after five years) and fairly low-pace – just like a favourite cafe.

we’ve made a few small tweaks to the forum software but under the hood it’s all Discourse.

my favourite ones are the ones we’ve added thanks to the community. (the logo is actually ChickieD’s artwork, vectorized).

we’ve also got easy, user-side blocking. (careful, though – unblocking involves deleting your site cookies)

and a smattering of themes that you can switch between, via the pancake menu

8 Likes

Welcome!

I also somehow missed your arrival.

I handle the infrastructure, and occasionally write overly long reviews about thoroughly mediocre movies.

As mentioned before, @ChickieD generously handles most of the moderation duties.

@tinoesroho handles most of the customization (CSS, themes, user blocking…)

I maintain an account at the other place, but mostly use it sparingly to like others’ posts.

I’ve heard it called the hamburger menu, but that is new to me. Is that, like, a Canadian thing?

14 Likes

I mean, pancake menu makes the same amount of sense as hamburger menu ¯\(ツ)

Also, welcome, @ClutchLinkey!

12 Likes
5 Likes

Thanks for all the additional welcomes!

All this talk about pancakes and hamburgers had me hankering for a food thread, but the one here doesn’t seem to be very active. Is food only good for analogies over here, or do you gang like eating it, too? :wink:

I’m making some stuffed peppers tonight that I’m excited to describe, but I also just touched my eye since cutting and deseeding said peppers so now I need an eyewash station. I’ll be back!

11 Likes

Welcome, ClutchLinkey!

I’ve been packing all day (and throwing out old stuff, and moving heavy stuff around) in prep for moving tomorrow, so big hunger plus no energy to cook = over-ordering from the Chinese+Japanese restaurant!

And this time, I’m feeling like the heavy stuff - Kung Pao beef with fried chicken tenders and egg roll - instead of the more common sushi and a spring roll.

8 Likes

I’m down for a good food thread. Let me know if you need me to create one. I’m not sure if you can start a thread as a newbie or not?

7 Likes

Thanks! There does appear to be a food thread, just posted on it. It just doesn’t seem as well trafficked is the one on the other place. I love sharing the delights of food.
Are there the same rules here, like limits on how many consecutive posts one poster can make on a given topic? I may need to pace myself.

9 Likes

Me, I’m too damned lazy to take photos of my stuff. I mean, I just started remembering to take pics of things before I get started on them, art-wise.

7 Likes

The limits are soft and I think can safely be ignored. It’ll say something like “Maybe you should consider letting someone else contribute?” but it won’t stop you.

10 Likes

The food thread over there is one of the only reasons I go there, so I’m game for a food thread here, but I often forget to take photos while things are still pretty

9 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t claim most of my food pics are “pretty” by any stretch, but having a photo does seem to help put things in context.
I posted about my stuffed poblanos from last night, in all their glory on my battered baking sheet. :wink:

7 Likes

Well, yeah, maybe “pretty” isn’t the word. Maybe I should say that I often forget to take photos before I’ve eaten the food item, and the plate is just a dirty dish in need of washing.

10 Likes

Like Erma Bombeck’s attempt at learning to paint a bowl of fruit.

She just put some specks on her canvas; the teacher asked her why there was no fruit.

The kids ate it, was Erma’s reply.

What about the bowl?

Someone took it.

What are those specks?

Fruit flies.

Erma then switched to a cake-decorating class, and licked herself into weighing 15 more pounds.

(i think this is from “At Wit’s End”, paraphrased from memory, lol)

10 Likes
8 Likes

So that’s what Erma did!

5 Likes

It’s relaxed here. I would love to see an active food thread so you are welcome to kick that into high gear.

7 Likes

Resurrecting an old topic is not a faux pas here, I don’t think—and anything less than six months old is “new” :partying_face:

9 Likes

I can’t remember the last time we had a new thread. Resurrect away.

6 Likes

Why hello!

@gracchus was kind enough to provide me with a link to this land of mystery that I knew existed (but not precisely where), and I thought I’d poke my head in and say “Hi.” :slight_smile:

I know the history of why this place was created, and as such, if I’m counted as part of the evil over there, please let me know, and I’ll wander off.

Otherwise, It’s nice to hang out somewhere where I do not need to wear any “hat” other than my very own, and would indeed love to become a part of your community here. Absolutely no hard feelings should anyone feel uncomfortable with my being here, though; just let me know.

26 Likes