The De-Nazification of America

8 Likes

I can’t decide if Arizona is a state.

6 Likes
13 Likes

Another reason I like Rick Steves…

7 Likes

No… some members of the jury refused to convict, meaning they employed jury nullification, which allows a jury to pick human rights over the law.

5 Likes

He seems pretty clueless for somebody who has traveled so much

5 Likes

Question:

Prosecutors with the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Arizona meet again on July 2 to decide whether Warren should again tried before another jury.

If they did use jury nullification, what is this about? Wouldn’t picking another jury for a do-over after an acquittal be unconstitutional double jeopardy?

5 Likes

They had a split jury.

4 Likes

He was not cleared of charges, it was a split jury, as @MarjaE notes… in other words, he was not found to be not guilty, so double jeopardy does not apply.

7 Likes

I can’t decide if I’m living in bizarro United States or if I’m just opening my eyes to how awful we truly are.

12 Likes

Aw, dangit. You can’t like anybody anymore. :frowning_face:

5 Likes

Most of the people aren’t awful.

The empire, OTOH…

12 Likes

Yeah. William S. Burroughs had that line, something like: “America is an evil place. Long before the settlers came, long before even the Native Americans came, the evil was there.”

8 Likes

Individual humans can be nice. But in large groups, I think the evil ones tend to scramble to the top, then lead the group into inhumane territory.

7 Likes

There’s nothing worse than a homophobic tattletale.

11 Likes

I have this urge to accuse him of Photoshopping the rainbow flag in. But like, in a really old-school American patriotic way.

But I won’t.

5 Likes

The Republican argument against was, literally, there were very fine Christian (white) men on both sides. Maine ain’t having it!

9 Likes

Cue neo-Confederates in the comments, mocking people who know history for being ignorant of their made-up history.

And anti-“Antfia” in the comments…

8 Likes

I’ve started referring to Confederates as “European-heritage terrorists who have committed the largest episode of treason against the U.S.”.

10 Likes

Which would make them “fa”

9 Likes