The De-Nazification of America

Are they sure it was one bear and not two?

7 Likes

[Grumpycat-Good.png]

8 Likes

Living in fear of attack is supposed to be for Hispanic people, black people, and children at public schools! What dark times these are that the people who support all that should also live in fear of boycotts and physical violence [citation explicitly not given].

13 Likes

It’s funny how one “personage” can blunder their horrifying awfulness through the criminal justice system. When they finally get caught, the best we can hope for from their case is a glimpse through the hole they make.

8 Likes

He was “very popular” with only 52% if the vote???

How fucking sheltered do you have to be to consider that maybe, just maybe, supporting a racist rapist is maybe a bad idea?

8 Likes

Ugh, relatives. Cousin I saw tonight is convinced Bill Clinton ordered the suicide.

11 Likes

Well you knew they were going to blame it on a few bad apples and not on the systemic issues that ought to be addressed.

11 Likes

My senator is one of the good ones (but we knew that already):

8 Likes

Who are the lucky assholes who live in the place he just sold the Dutch?

2 Likes

from a bbc profile of greenland.

1953 - Greenland becomes an integral part of the Kingdom of Denmark.

1979 - Greenland attains home rule following a referendum.

1999 - Danish High Court rules that Inuit were illegally exiled from their land in northern Greenland in 1953 to expand US airbase at Thule but denies them right of return.

2008 - Greenlanders vote in referendum for more autonomy, greater control over energy resources and granting Kalaallisut or Western Greenlandic status of official language in place of Danish.

and Truman had an advantage:

1940 - Denmark is occupied by Germany during World War II. The United States assumes protective custody over Greenland for the duration of the war.

So let me see if I understand this correctly. Greenland doesn’t particularly like Denmark. It doesn’t like being treated as a colony It doesn’t like that Denmark appropriated land to build a US Airforce base. I imagine that it doesn’t particularly appreciate the fact that parts of Greenland were irradiated because of US negligence.

Why would such a territory consent to be bought and sold like some imperial chattel?

11 Likes

It will be the greatest 18,000 hole golf course. Believe me. None better or move loved.

A business opportunity brought to us by climate change.

5 Likes

I suspect that if Greenland wants to renegotiate its sovereignty, this might be a likelier outcome.

https://utorontopress.com/ca/arctic-promise-4

In Canada’s Eastern Arctic and Greenland, the Inuit have been the majority for centuries. In recent years, they have been given a promise from Canadian and Danish governments that offers them more responsibility for their lands and thus control over their lives without fear of being outnumbered by outsiders. The Arctic Promise looks at how much the Inuit vision of self-governance relates to the existing public governance systems of Greenland and Nunavut, and how much autonomy there can be for territories that remain subordinate units of larger states.

By means of a bottom-up approach involving cultural immersion, contextual, jurisprudential, and historical legal comparisons of Greenland and Nunavut, The Arctic Promise examines the forms, evolution, and scope of the right to autonomy in these Arctic jurisdictions. Loukacheva argues that the right to autonomy should encompass or protect Inuit jurisdiction in legal systems and the administration of justice, and should allow the Inuit direct participation in international affairs where issues that affect their homelands are concerned.

The Arctic Promise deals with areas of comparative constitutional law, international law, Aboriginal law, legal anthropology, political science, and international relations, using each to contribute to the understanding of the right to indigenous autonomy.

But not only have I not read the book, I don’t follow Greenlandic politics.

7 Likes

Democratic elected officials are, at the very least, ambivalent about whether they should obey courts that are increasingly seen as illegitimate.

We may live in interesting times.

9 Likes

Dutch?

2 Likes

May?

9 Likes

I’m hoping there’s some kind of exchange, giving the Dutch a place to go when the levees break.

4 Likes

Not all of the Netherlands is behind polders (where my mum is from is even hilly). They had to start thinking about it in WWII, when the Nazis threatened to blow up the dikes. I think they have something figured out already.

7 Likes

But what a great deal we’d give them for Idaho!

4 Likes

I object to the descriptions of “waterlogged” and “gutter of Europe” (FFS NYT, it just gets a wee bit damp!), but otherwise a good overview:

5 Likes

Their own private Idaho.

Like a wild potato.

Better them than many of the current residents currently there

3 Likes