The De-Nazification of America

6 Likes
13 Likes
4 Likes

Not removed from America, more’s the pity, but some rather quick karma and a little slice of schadenfreude pie…

7 Likes
12 Likes

The headline was truncated, but it is this:

The Ex-Dallas Police Officer Who Fatally Shot A Black Man In His Own Apartment Has Been Indicted On A Murder Charge

12 Likes

People have complained to Discourse devs about those truncated headlines, but they don’t care

8 Likes

A strong element of Nazism in tech is terrible customer service that begins with the assumption, “the user is always wrong”, goes through “my user interface choices trump the the experience of people who actually do this task for a living” and maintains its existence by 1. claiming that users are free to use a competing product and 2. siccing lawyers on the competition.

Two out of three cats in this case. Call it cultural Nazism.

7 Likes

Isn’t there a saying among some developers that “the user is a loser?” Seems to me I heard that way back.

4 Likes

The epithet ‘luser’ has been in use since at least 1996.

5 Likes

My experiences using linux without sudo privileges definitely made me feel like a loser.

ETA: I’ve always understood luser to mean a linux user with no sudo privileges (why even bother), as opposed to a superuser who has these privileges, but the link doesn’t use it like that

5 Likes

I’m sure it’s a real saying, but I wish such people would remember that without users there is no need for software. [insert line about getting out of parents’ basements here]

6 Likes

Without customers there’s no need for business.
Without workers there’s no need for managers.
Without people there’ no need for politicians.
And so on.

Why are we not more user/customer/worker/people/etc. centric?

8 Likes

jeff bridges

8 Likes
9 Likes

Wow. Definitely worth the read.

6 Likes

I know there are those who genuinely believe in privatizing everything. They are called profiteers.

Loved that bit.

8 Likes
9 Likes

I like that article and want to do all of it. Too bad it will take a Civil War at this point to get it done.

8 Likes

Those hats are a good idea ATS!

3 Likes