The De-Nazification of America

1 Like

He’ll have to sleep with one eye open.

5 Likes
2 Likes

The law is both “unconstitutionally vague and substantially overbroad” and encouraged “discriminatory enforcement,” according to the ruling late Friday by U.S. District Judge Thomas Parker, who was appointed by former President Donald Trump.

“There is no question that obscenity is not protected by the First Amendment. But there is a difference between material that is ‘obscene’ in the vernacular, and material that is ‘obscene’ under the law,” Parker said. “Simply put, no majority of the Supreme Court has held that sexually explicit — but not obscene — speech receives less protection than political, artistic, or scientific speech,” he said.

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering: What’s the scoop on how these types of folks feel about drag kings?

3 Likes

Parker used the example of a female performer wearing an Elvis Presley costume and mimicking the iconic musician who could be at risk of punishment under the drag law because they would be considered a “male impersonator.”

3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Evidently, RFK, Jr.'s thinking is closer to that of his grandfather, not his father.

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
4 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes
6 Likes

For a while there, every Jewish family I knew who adopted, adopted a Chinese girl. In one case, they didn’t even tell her she was adopted (in kindergarten, she didn’t know what the word meant when I mentioned it while looking at a photo of her being picked up from the orphanage, no less).

Fun fact: in Islam, adoption means you take on the responsibility of raising a child, but they do not lose their name, their extended family, or their religion. That’s right, if their family is/was Christian, then you as a Muslim parent have to raise them to be Christian as well. Obviously, they can change their mind when they’re old enough, but the point is, you don’t force a square peg into a round hole just to make your own life easier. The goal is to make the child’s life as supported as possible.

These children are being raised in the States, visibly Black, but then also Jewish because that’s what their adoptive families are. Talk about making them live their lives on the hardest possible setting. Why aren’t the families living in diverse or majority-Black areas? Why do these kids get to feel normal for only one or two weeks a year?

This is one of those ‘feel good’ stories that really isn’t, when you get into it.

6 Likes
  1. White-Christian savior complex.
  2. But the story wouldn’t even exist if diversity was a given, would it? So yeah, boo.

I’ve fought hard and long to put down my white privilege or figure out a way to use it to help others (which is only possible when one has money, really). Not being raised with religion makes it easier for me to live, but harder for me to help others because being Christian is basically the default here in the US, and all over the world. I would love to foster children, but not having a big income and not being a normal white woman, it’s impossible at this point.

3 Likes

Big Brothers/Big Sisters, maybe, or help with a scouting troop?

3 Likes

I’m not in financial shape to take on more than providing for myself, my son, Sugarplum, Bobby, & Fluffy. And even then, a dear friend of mine purchases cat food for the felines.

And still no tabs/insurance on my car.

4 Likes

That reminds me of the episode of All In The Family where they adopt a little girl and try sending her to Sunday school at their church but she knows more than the teacher because her mother was Jewish. Archie Bunker is, of course, Archie, the anti-Jew. But by the end he’s signed up to be a member of the local Jewish temple so that she can go there, and you can’t really watch that final scene without crying a little.

3 Likes

They don’t make shows like that anymore!

2 Likes