The Pets Thread

So adorables! Much cute!

But seriously, those are some sweet kittens, they look super soft. Do they have names yet?

5 Likes

We were thinking Hex for the black one and Manny (Mandrake) for the grey. But thatā€™s not solid yet.

2 Likes

aww ā€“ adorable! our kitties are a black (male) and a grey (female), brother and sister. i remember when they were that small! : )

3 Likes

Those are great names, if you do go with them. But, I do have a bias in favor of the name Manny :wink:

4 Likes

Not Drake?

1 Like

I mean, Drakeā€™s a good name, too, but I have a Manny, and heā€™s as close to a baby as Iā€™ll probably ever have.

2 Likes

6 Likes

What a cute face!

It that a sliding rocking chair?

Lyta loves to sleep under our rocker. Itā€™s a very old heirloom, and not very comfortable, so we donā€™t use it much. And it likes to travel backwards as you rock in it.

4 Likes

Itā€™s more of the traditional rocker type, but also an hierloom. Iā€™d prefer they werenā€™t on it, but oh well

3 Likes

Does anyone know any home treatments for a pet birdā€™s eye infection?

I have a quaker parakeet, whoā€™s been in the family at least 20-25 years now. When I gave him seed and water tonight, I saw that one eye had red and swollen eyelids. The eye itself looks okay, though I wasnā€™t sure at first. Heā€™s a little quieter than usual, but still fairly alert.

I know I should take him to an avian vet, but the nearest one I know of is over an hourā€™s drive away, and considering he doesnā€™t get out of the house much, and is old for his breed, I donā€™t know how well heā€™d take the excitement of the trip. Plusā€¦ and I hate to say itā€¦ avian vets are incredibly expensive. I donā€™t know that I can afford it right now.

Iā€™m going to try to call a vet for advice tomorrow, hoping thereā€™s an over-the-counter antibiotic I can use on him without hurting him. The only other thing Iā€™ve dared try is a warm compress (paper towel moistened with warm water as recommended by Dr. Google), but the bird isnā€™t very cooperative.

If youā€™re inclinedā€¦ wish us luck?

9 Likes

So this wikihow article actually did have pretty good advice with pictures on recognizing types. If the inflammation is just on the eyelid, it might be debris, which you be treated with sterile eyedrops. But beyond that, between fungal infections birds are susceptible to, bacteria, and other agents, it can be hard to tell what exactly is wrong.

Age old conundrum: the meds are usually cheap, but the office visit pricier. Have you tried a Petsmart or PetCo? I worked at a PetSmart as a teen, and they had to have at least one vet on staff who could service exotics, since they sold them. They tend to be less expensive.

6 Likes

I hope he gets better soon!

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the recommendation! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I did call around, but couldnā€™t find any pet stores with avian vets. I guess itā€™s a pretty rare thing in my area.

On the plus sideā€¦ (crossing my fingers so I donā€™t jinx anything) ā€¦my birdā€™s eye looks better today. There hasnā€™t been any discharge over the last two days, which is common to infection. So Iā€™m hoping it was just a temporary irritation, which seems to be healing on its own. Iā€™m going to keep watching it, and attempting warm compresses twice a dayā€¦ but :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: ā€¦ so far so good?

4 Likes

Are you near Allen Park/Southgate?
https://www.southpointevet.com/

3 Likes

I called them. Theyā€™re not seeing new patients, due to Covid. But thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Awww, that sucks! Good luck with the eye.

3 Likes

It really looks better today. Most of the redness is gone, and while thereā€™s still some swelling, it looks far more normal than it did before. So maybe, just maybe, we got lucky.

Thank you so much, everyone, for the suggestions and support! Itā€™s really made a difference. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Keep us posted, please!

2 Likes

The eye looks really good today, so I think my birdie is going to be all right. :grin:

6 Likes

poor little birb! glad heā€™s on the mend. this just underscores that i know nothing about avian health things. even less than cats! i donā€™t think i wouldā€™ve noticed the eye infection to begin with!

2 Likes