The Pets Thread

Probably the same solution as for keeping burrowing critters out of the garden - bury wire fencing a good foot below where the dog is likely to dig.

Hope your doggo is better.

7 Likes

Yeah. I walked by a couple days ago, and saw there was fresh dirt under the gate where the Staffy had tunneled out, so I figured they had dug in some chicken wire or something. Then my across the street neighbor found the dog in their yard yesterday afternoon, going after his menagerie. It turned out they just filled the trough, but didnā€™t do anything to prevent it digging out again. The neighbor called animal control, not knowing where the intruder came from, and animal control apparently gave them a mandate to dig in something to prevent tunnelling.

Poor dog. I hope they get it worked out so it doesnā€™t get put down or something.

6 Likes

For those of you who know me from the other side, you may remember I picked up some rescue cats this last summer.
Tasha (elderly, cranky) and Ruby (young and rambunctious, amputated tail) are doing fine. Thereā€™s some jealousy and infighting, but nothing over the top.
Tasha is becoming more adjusted to being an indoor cat, and gaining weight. She still occasionally cries at the door, and Iā€™d love to let her roam, but Tijuanaā€™s no place for an older kitty with decreased hearing and vision.
More often over the past month, she has been coming to sleep with me, on the edge of the bed next to my torso. When Iā€™m in the main room she still commandeers the painting chair in my studio area; even when Iā€™m working, which makes sitting awkward for both of us.

17 Likes

Sheā€™s looking good! Also, Iā€™m glad youā€™re here. :cat:

7 Likes

George is having a nap, with a little bit of sunshine. Iā€™m jealous. Is that bad? My shoulder has been painful all week, and I canā€™t ever get comfortable, let alone this comfortable. Sigh.

10 Likes

i hear you ā€“ itā€™s getting to be the time of year where our cats spend their day chasing every little patch of sun they can findā€¦ they really do not like the winter. whenever i see them happily sunbathing, i really want to curl up with them, too.

4 Likes

Happy ending: walked by this AM, and saw that there was a metal reinforcement under the gate, and that the dog had a handled vest on. The handled vest should make it easier to grab her if she does try to go under, or is on top of another dog. Really pleased.

5 Likes

This is a far stretch from joy but my 18-year-old cat either has senility or some incontinence disorder. She asks to go outside during the day, with pleasure I let her out. Then at night she sees some cat in the backyard and spazzes out, screaming like Yoko Ono backing up a rock legend, and remains tempestuous with fear when I come on the scene. As I donā€™t enjoy being scratched up the arms like a junkie, I give her time to calm down, only 15-30 minutes isnā€™t enough. She waits at the front door to be let in, I open the door, she doesnā€™t move, I step farther from the door so sheā€™s between me and the open door and rather than go in where itā€™s warm and light and smells like her like a normal cat would when itā€™s dark and 8C, sheā€™d rather slash and bite at my shoed foot I use to prod her inward.

Iā€™d read that a cat wonā€™t piss and shit where she sleeps but the 18-year-old cat doesnā€™t read, so sheā€™s banned from the bedroom.

5 Likes

Does she yowl at night? I believe thatā€™s a sign of decreasing mental status.

Ah, yes, the peeing where they arenā€™t supposed to. We have to tape up dog training pads in certain areas because one of our older cats has taken to thinking outside the box. Fortunately he does it in the same places, and hasnā€™t initiated a new spot in quite a while.

4 Likes

I share your belief: my first Burmese started yowling at age 15, and stopped going out after a too-long sleep next door scared him, but that was his only sign of senility. She does not yowl at night and sheā€™s happy to go outside. Sheā€™d purr like a lawnmower at night when she was in the bedroom but thatā€™s her lifelong idiosyncrasy. She has a much heartier appetite than does the ā€œsaneā€ younger cat. But maybe senility symptoms differ from cat to cat.

Thatā€™s a good idea and new to me, to use dog training pads. Iā€™ve been exhorting my minion to use Natureā€™s Miracle on the affected areas of the floor downstairs, but he seems more inept at reading instructions on bottles than at reading 700+ page military history tomes. [Scratches head in wonder.]

5 Likes

In the states theyā€™re called ā€œPuppie Wee Wee Pads.ā€ I think ā€œPee Padā€ is a much more sonorous name, and alliterative to boot. We stick them up with blue paintersā€™ tape (the crepe kind, not the fancy 3M Edge Lock kind, which donā€™t seem to work as well).

Cats are so inscrutable. Itā€™s really hard to tell whatā€™s bugging them. Our Russian Blue makes the most amazing noises but itā€™s during play, or right after meals. Sometimes she squeaks, like a mouse! Bizarre. But sheā€™s not that old, so itā€™s probably not mental decline, I donā€™t think.

Myself, however, I feel like I will be yowling at night any day now.

4 Likes

Maybe I live too close to Canada, but Iā€™ve never heard them called anything other than ā€˜pee padā€™.

@KeisterButton: You could try using a pheromone diffuser placed near the area sheā€™s been peeing. Weā€™ve been having issues with our male Siamese and are hoping it helps him out. Regular Natureā€™s Miracle is OK if the spot has only been peed on once, but Iā€™ve found the stuff in the orange bottle (urine destroyer?) works better on more set-in pee.

4 Likes

There is a minor standoff happening, and they both seem to think I should do something about it. Take turns, fuzzbutts!

Update. Now itā€™s a traffic jam.

11 Likes

Ladybug invasion. Like literally, there are at least 100 ladybugs in my office right now.

Iā€™m not really bothered, but I do wonder if Iris is going to have herself a ladybug massacre. Sheā€™s a pro bug catcher.

This hasnā€™t happened before. I mean, Iā€™ve seen some ladybugs in the house, and plenty outside, but literally a hundred come inside on the same day? Itā€™s weird.

There is a window with a cat door in it (see above post) so they must have come in the small gap between the upper and lower window. I hope so anyway, because otherwise, I have an open portal to ladybug nirvana. Or, Iā€™m about to be visited by the ladybug deity who is going to send me on a quest.

10 Likes

funny - i was just reading this:

i wonder if thereā€™s any connection.

1 Like

Could someone have come inside and laid eggs?

1 Like

Possibly, but there are a bunch on the outside of the window also.

2 Likes

Maybe, but our weather hasnā€™t been too far off ā€œnormalā€. Come to think of it, though, today got to the 70s which is kind of rare in November.

1 Like

well, specifically, i was wondering if they were looking for water. : (

2 Likes

:blush: it rained overnight and the grass was wet all morning, so 9 donā€™t think thatā€™s it.

2 Likes