Time out from the other place

I’m doubtful they’re looking for a community at this point. I think they would be perfectly happy with an audience.

This question may have been asked in another thread, but I don’t think I’ve asked it before: What aspects of BB keep you coming back despite the problems? Is it the blog content that drives discussion? Is it that there are specific people you can’t communicate with otherwise? For myself, I do occasionally check the RSS feed and follow an article into the comments, but I rarely participate unless it’s about some hyper specific gadget that Mark is featuring. For most of the interesting conversations about what’s happening in the world, I can come here instead.

To be clear, I’m not trying to compete with BB. I don’t have the time, resources, or ambition to turn this into a business venture, and I don’t see any ethical way to maintain a meaningful stream of front-page content without fairly compensating people. I’m absolutely amenable to making changes, within reasonable constraints, to make visiting BB even more irrelevant.

I’m also acutely aware that at least one of the reasons that this community works as well as it does is that it’s small and obscure enough that we don’t have to deal with many of the problems that a community the size of BB does. Not for nothing, but this community is also made up of mostly wonderful people.

@mindysan33 I think I’ve said this before, but the original reason that I built this place was that at the time I was fairly certain that I was about to lose contact with a group of people that I had grown particularly fond of. I am thankful for all of you who come to this odd little corner of the internet and share your time. This place might exist without you (although I’m not sure what the point would be), but this community absolutely could not.

13 Likes

Hear hear!

7 Likes

For me, it’s the interesting stories that I wouldn’t see otherwise. Also I like complaining about asshole republicans, and making lame jokes, sometimes with spur of the moment photoshopping.

6 Likes

I can’t do it. I hit my limit for dealing with the nazi infiltrators. Twitter, strangely, is also a good experience so long as you’re careful and skeptical and mostly lurk. I prefer to lurk usually anyway, except places I know aren’t likely to be blow up. Lower stakes, more honesty from the commenters, more talking from me.

8 Likes

I used to like the unusual topics. And then there would be the corrections from people with an arcane, highly-specialized education.

But for the last few years the content became repetitive and less interesting. The site had become a habit to me. I’ve been away for almost a year now.

9 Likes